Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

> FS: 914/6 Airbox setup - SOLD, back to stock-ish option
Retroracer
post Jan 27 2019, 05:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This is a set of Porsche airbox parts that gives you a stock looking set up on a 914/6 (or early 911 for that matter). Look at the pictures to see what you are getting but the list is:

(1) factory plastic airbox (see description below)
(2) factory carb boxes with all clips intact, factory finish in good condition
(1) snorkel with reduced length, facing towards cyl no.1
(1) drain tube (black powder coated), nice condition
(2) very old gaskets for the carb air boxes (should be replaced!)
(2) new wing nuts (plastic) to hold the snorkel on + washers
(1) "shell oil" fill sticker, orientation / placement at the new owners discretion - NEWLY ADDED
(1) re-plated lever that links the fuel cold start assembly to the throttle shaft - NEWLY ADDED

The airbox has a nice patina, but as the pictures show one of the banks has a slightly warped / melted mounting base. In reality this is not too bad, and the carb box seems to mate with it OK (rubber gaskets are in place on the carb boxes). This particular part has holes and supports for cold start tubes - which are not fitted. The resulting holes are easily filled if this is not desired.

The snorkel could probably do with a refurb, with some scrapes on it, but is presentable enough as is.

The carb boxes appear excellent and all clips are in place and work well. Were fitted to Zeniths when I got them.

Note you will need to buy a new air filter which is not included in the kit.

So not a concours solution but it does get you on the road and looks the part. I'm struggling over price - the eBay offerings seem all over the place, and not too Many listed on Pelican. Some of the individual items can be hard to source though.

Priced at $400 shipped in CONUS, will consider offers.

- Tony

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Retroracer
post Feb 15 2019, 09:36 AM
Post #2

Price drop and bump.
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 15 2019, 12:36 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,145

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Feb 15 2019, 07:36 AM) *

Price drop and bump.

To the seller: I've been watching your ad for a while and am casually interested, but combination of price and condition are keeping me on the fence for now. I'm not critiquing your ad. Just being honest.

To the group: Seeking knowledge and perhaps displaying my ignorance for all to see. I'm not sure about the cold start tubes being an MFI-only option. Didn't at least some of the carbureted cars (including 914-6s) come with the same cold start enrichment feature, since Webers (and likely Zeniths too ??) don't have chokes? In fact, I thought that was part of the problem with the plastic air boxes. Excess raw fuel could pool inside the carb boxes, a backfire would ignite, and the plastic would melt/burn. Not a good thing. I *KNOW* that was a problem with the white plastic intake horns on the MFI cars. I've seen more than a few scorched, bubbled, and partly melted ones from several cars. Replaced mine with metal horns and kept the plastics for future nit pickers.

TIA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Feb 15 2019, 02:21 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 15 2019, 10:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Retroracer @ Feb 15 2019, 07:36 AM) *

Price drop and bump.

To the seller: I've been watching your ad for a while and am casually interested, but combination of price and condition are keeping me on the fence for now. I'm not critiquing your ad. Just being honest.

To the group: Seeking knowledge and perhaps displaying my ignorance for all to see. I'm not sure about the cold start tubes being an MFI-only option. Didn't at least some of the carbureted cars (including 914-6s) come with the same cold start enrichment feature, since Webers (and likely Zeniths too ??) don't have chokes? In fact, I thought that was part of the problem with the plastic air boxes. Excess raw fuel could pool inside the carb boxes, a backfire would ignite, and the plastic would melt/burn. Not a good thing. I *KNOW* that was a problem with the white plastic intake horns on the MFI cars. I've seen more than a few scorched, bubbled, and partly melted ones from several cars. Replaced mine with metal horns and kept the plastics for future nit pickers.

TIA

I ASSUMED the cold start tubes were MFI, was not aware the carb versions had this option. Good to know. I will correct the listing to reflect that.

- Tony
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Retroracer   FS: 914/6 Airbox setup - SOLD   Jan 27 2019, 05:42 PM
Retroracer   ..and more photos:   Jan 27 2019, 05:47 PM
Retroracer   bump   Jan 29 2019, 08:47 PM
Retroracer   one more bump   Jan 31 2019, 02:04 PM
Retroracer   Price drop and bump.   Feb 15 2019, 09:36 AM
mountainroads   Price drop and bump. To the seller: I've b...   Feb 15 2019, 12:36 PM
Retroracer   Price drop and bump. To the seller: I've ...   Feb 15 2019, 02:21 PM
mountainroads   @gereed75 : Thanks for confirming. From the refe...   Feb 15 2019, 03:46 PM
porschetub   [quote name='mountainroads' post='2689292' date='...   Feb 15 2019, 05:38 PM
mountainroads   [quote name='mountainroads' post='2689292' date=...   Feb 16 2019, 01:54 PM
gereed75   The cold start system was indeed on all early sixe...   Feb 15 2019, 12:46 PM
Retroracer   Happy Presidents Day! And bump.   Feb 18 2019, 11:38 AM
gereed75   The only difference I know between the 911 and six...   Feb 18 2019, 02:03 PM
Retroracer   sweetening the deal: lower price - and as added i...   Mar 14 2019, 04:57 PM
tailwind22   PM sent.   Mar 14 2019, 05:24 PM
Retroracer   Still available. - Tony   Mar 15 2019, 07:11 PM
Retroracer   ..and bump once more.   Mar 17 2019, 08:19 PM
mb911   This is a good deal. The bases are worth that.. I ...   Mar 18 2019, 05:12 AM
Retroracer   For reference: sketch of roughly how the carb boxe...   Mar 19 2019, 10:21 AM
Retroracer   bump - still available - Tony   Mar 21 2019, 11:34 AM
Retroracer   ..and once more, with feeling: bump - Tony   Mar 22 2019, 11:31 AM
Retroracer   ----- Sale pending -----   Mar 26 2019, 10:10 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:34 AM