Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 75 Brake Warning Light, The brake warning light on the combo gauge is flashing
dennisphelan
post Jan 28 2019, 12:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,713
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The large red brake warning light on the combo gauge is flashing. The emergency brake is disengaged. I checked the brake master cylinder and the one wire ( it only has one connection) that goes to it is attached. It appears I have some fluid leaking as the connection was wet with fluid. The car hasn't been driven in 12 years so I am sure many things could be wrong. What is the switch on the master cylinder sensing?

Thanks,

Dennis Phelan
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jan 28 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dennisphelan @ Jan 28 2019, 10:56 AM) *

The large red brake warning light on the combo gauge is flashing. The emergency brake is disengaged. I checked the brake master cylinder and the one wire ( it only has one connection) that goes to it is attached. It appears I have some fluid leaking as the connection was wet with fluid. The car hasn't been driven in 12 years so I am sure many things could be wrong. What is the switch on the master cylinder sensing?

Thanks,

Dennis Phelan

A failed MC. So it is probably rusted and the light is doing what it is supposed to.

Edit:

Or switch is rusted. You don't mention if the brakes work....have a peal and stop the car or not. Need lot's more info.

Good Luck.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 28 2019, 02:04 PM
Post #3

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

The MC switch should have a small reset button on it. If it doesn't, disconnect the wire to the switch and see if the flashing indicator goes away. As mentioned, if it is the MC switch, you need to make sure the MC is in good working condition.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 29 2019, 11:02 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you need a new switch let me know.
+Quote Post
pvollma
post Jan 29 2019, 11:21 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 15,862
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(dennisphelan @ Jan 28 2019, 02:56 PM) *

When I first picked up my new-to-me 76, the light would continue to flash after releasing the handbrake. I found that pulling it up again and then forcefully pushing it down with the release button pressed would cancel the warning light. The PO had let the car sit for a long time while he worked on it, so I suspect something in the switch that senses the handle position was hung up or corroded. After a few weeks of using this method, it was no longer needed, but, of course, YMMV.
+Quote Post
lierofox
post Jan 29 2019, 05:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 18,880

I wanna say the switch is a "low pressure light" where the brake master cylinder gets depressed too far without making enough pressure. How's the pedal feel?

When I got my '75 the warning light was always on, as part of the process of going through everything and redoing the brake system I ended up replacing the master cylinder just to be on the safe side, it also had a warning light until I reset the button. Once I replaced the MC and bled the brakes it never came back again.

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jan 29 2019, 06:26 PM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The light flashes when one of the brown/white wires that goes to it gets shorted to ground. The two wires go to the brake warning switch in the master cylinder, and to the button under the handbrake handle.

If the handbrake handle doesn't press the button under it down, the wire going there will be shorted to ground. If the switch in the master cylinder detects a massive loss of pressure (e.g., bleeding the brakes) it will close until the reset button in the switch is pressed.

If one of the wires to those falls off and lays on the chassis, that can cause it to be shorted to ground. That will also make the light blink.

But the most common thing is that you bled the brakes and didn't press the reset button on the master cylinder switch.

--DD
+Quote Post
dennisphelan
post Jan 30 2019, 02:27 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 22,713
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 28 2019, 01:47 PM) *

Thanks,

Dennis Phelan

A failed MC. So it is probably rusted and the light is doing what it is supposed to.

Edit:

Or switch is rusted. You don't mention if the brakes work....have a peal and stop the car or not. Need lot's more info.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the reply.
+Quote Post
9fourteen14
post Aug 12 2019, 04:30 PM
Post #9

PORSCHE LUVA

Member No.: 18,920
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 29 2019, 01:02 PM) *

If you need a new switch let me know.

Mark i might need a switch... if not an entire new Master Cyclinder... but my brakes seems to work fine.

ummm

Niece

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 13 2019, 10:27 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Here you go, used but good condition. Reset button works. $20 shipped.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Aug 14 2019, 01:50 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

Disconnect the wire from the switch on the master cylinder and see if that stops your flashing brake light. Make sure the wire doesn't ground against anything.
If not make sure your hand brake lever is all the way down and pushing the switch.
If still not, unscrew the brake lever switch and pull the wire out enough to make sure it isn't grounding against anything.

The brake warning light is triggered by grounding the circuit at either the master cylinder or the hand brake switch.

If neither of these wires is grounded and the light still flashes there is a short to ground somewhere in one of the wires.
Some cars had a third wire for a brake fluid level switch, near the brake reservoir.
If your car has the extra wire it could be grounded and causing the light to flash.

Jim
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Aug 14 2019, 09:56 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 28 2019, 12:47 PM) *

Thanks,

Dennis Phelan

Edit:

Good Luck.

So ......admins.....Ii didn't post this. Very weird.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:27 PM