Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sub Woofer Installation, Tried to get better Audio without carving up the car
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 29 2019, 05:56 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Jan 29 2019, 03:29 PM) *

I made this one, with a dedicated power amp for the sub and four other speakers it's probably over kill for a concert hall the size of a 914 cockpit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

What size in the factory speaker boxes?? Very interesting...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Jan 29 2019, 06:51 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,461

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jan 29 2019, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Jan 29 2019, 03:29 PM) *

I made this one, with a dedicated power amp for the sub and four other speakers it's probably over kill for a concert hall the size of a 914 cockpit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

What size in the factory speaker boxes?? Very interesting...

They are Kenwood 4X6 as I recall, the stock mount doesn't leave room for the magnets so I shimmed out the inboard side by about 1/2 inch. The stock grills were in a bunch of parts that I bought at one point and they were already cut up like that, as were the door panels.........I didn't do it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 29 2019, 08:35 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE(drem914 @ Jan 29 2019, 03:11 PM) *

The sub box you seek is available at 914Rubber.com and a vendor on ebay. Just look up Porsche 914 subwoofer. covered in black or grey perlon, fits an 8" sub.

Was just all over 914rubber.com...have to say it was a bit tough to navigate, but could not find speaker enclosures—this after finding the link that promised them...

https://shop.914rubber.com/Body-Parts_c38.htm

Have a better link? Or...Mikey?

Thanks!

pete
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Jan 29 2019, 08:53 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 991

Sorry for the hijack but....
I need to replace the 20 year old deck in my 74.
Already have holes in door panels (previous owner, not me).
I know little about car stereos nowadays. I want decent sound. I would like a head unit that can connect bluetooth or at least have an aux in. Is there one that has enough good power output to not need a separate amp for decent sound? What would be good 6" speakers for the door holes?
Thanks
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 30 2019, 02:15 AM
Post #25

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Just hearing up for another run. Finished off the plywood with bends and sewing up the covers now.

Moving to the new website but here's one we did. Even have the harness that fits directly to the prewirring in the later card to add the 3 gages.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 30 2019, 02:16 AM
Post #26

The rubber man

More

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 30 2019, 02:18 AM
Post #27

The rubber man

This will allow you to add it later as an option.If you so choose.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 13 2020, 01:02 PM
Post #28

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I have to figure out this as well for my 914. I have the sub box that fits in passenger footwell (morph?) but I don't like it as I'd have to hack the original carpet to make it fit.

So it's either in the console or behind the passenger seat, I didn't really want to run a console, so I'm going to look behind the seat first. I'll remove the 8" sub from the box and see where it fits, that way I can check without investing in a sub right away.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 13 2020, 04:09 PM
Post #29

The rubber man

There is some room in the center section of the 3 piece back pads where the foam currently is. I'd say at the base would be good. I was planning to to do exactly that.

Behind the seats not as much.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 14 2020, 07:39 AM
Post #30

that's what I do!

So hacking on the interior, I don't want to cut the carpet for the foot box so obviously this is no go for me. I didn't really want a console but for me it looks like the only solution.

I think I'll also look at having a go at a homebuilt console. I'm not going to hack up the console I have, but I can use it for a pattern. I already have the black vinyl and I just inherited my mom's Bernina sewing machine, so maybe it's a good time to learn how to use it.

What about a round one inch spacer between the speaker and console box? That could give a bit more interior volume and likely not interfere much in the passenger footwell.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 14 2020, 12:37 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 14 2020, 05:39 AM) *

So hacking on the interior, I don't want to cut the carpet for the foot box so obviously this is no go for me. I didn't really want a console but for me it looks like the only solution.

I think I'll also look at having a go at a homebuilt console. I'm not going to hack up the console I have, but I can use it for a pattern. I already have the black vinyl and I just inherited my mom's Bernina sewing machine, so maybe it's a good time to learn how to use it.

What about a round one inch spacer between the speaker and console box? That could give a bit more interior volume and likely not interfere much in the passenger footwell.

I had a Kenwood bass wedge in the passenger footwell years ago with a piece of plywood over it...all in lieu of the factory's "wasteful" foam wedge filler used to build out a nice place for the passenger's feet. It worked pretty well, and wasn't obvious visually but it really cut down on passenger legroom...so I removed it.

If I had a center console, or wanted one, the solution in this thread would be my go-to, but I'd dearly love a fiberglass box made to fit the 914 footwell like the factory foam while maximizing air space (upward? or to the right) and properly ported. I'd be interested in something like this if it meant running a smaller bass driver. Some of the home speakers these days make amazing bass from small packages. I wonder if there is even a way to "double port" it to the front trunk for more volume, but must confess I don't know how bass works in that regard.

Not sure making one as a one off makes sense, but it seems like a wonderful product for 914rubber if it's relatively easy to do. Could be furnished in raw fiberglass, and would be instantly reversible if the factory foam block is stored in the garage.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 14 2020, 03:57 PM
Post #32

that's what I do!

I have the morph footwell 8" sub enclosure, it does fit the area OK, but you can't install it without cutting up my close to perfect OE carpet. Then you have to protect the woofer with something, the PO had an AL footboard with big ass spacers, you have to be a munchkin because it takes up so much legroom. It came out of the wife's 914, it's likely going back because her carpets are crap, but I'll figure out a better guard for the speaker.

I reason I don't care for the console is because anything but slippers I catch my right foot between the console and brake pedal. I think I'll DYI a console/box but space the speaker hole a bit more rearwards then the one in Mark's above pic. That way I hope I can clearance the right foot area a bit better.

Right now I'm fighting with two 4.0 996 rebuilds that won't let me catch a break, a 914 2056cc stock build that has to be done, need to fully kit out another 2.0 longblock and a 2007cc T1 build. These all have to be done before I can play with my own cars.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Jan 14 2020, 04:28 PM
Post #33

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

"reason I don't care for the console is because anything but slippers I catch my right foot between the console and brake pedal."

Hey Mark, I have size 13 shoes and I too would drag my brake pedal with my right foot. I finally hacksawed the brake pedal off right at the end of the arm, (did it in the car without removing pedal box). Then I welded a short piece of steel 1/4 inch flat stock with 2 predrilled holes to the back of the pedal, offset to the right side of the pedal, as you look at it from the front. Then I welded a small steel gusset between the extension arm and the pedal to add support from pedal pressure being now on one side on the extension arm. Finally I drilled 2 matching holes in the brake pedal arm aligned with the extension holes and bolted it all together on the left side of the brake arm. I have a included a crude diagram below to show the simplicity of the process. It took me about 30 minutes to do, all "in car", and was not as hard as I made it sound. Now my brake pedal has about a half inch clear on the side of my big shoes, and makes a real pleasurable difference driving the car.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jan 14 2020, 04:40 PM
Post #34

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 29 2019, 10:09 AM) *

best to put the sub woofer where the passenger foam block under the bulkhead carpet rests. Works perfectly, cannot tell any difference in the interior appearance:

Not so good with a 1970 or 71 car

Bob B
+Quote Post
R Dub
post Jan 18 2020, 02:03 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 21,387

ctc911ctc what sub did you go with? Also have you installed it yet? If so how does it sound?
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jan 18 2020, 07:25 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Maybe a stupid question, but: Could the doors be used more effectively when it comes to bass? I'm wondering if a 6.5 in the door with a small port tube venting back into the interior (by the back of the door, near the seat?) would work better than simply placing the speaker in the usual spot?

I am also wondering if one might figure out a way to mount said 6.5 behind the door panel and then make holes between the bricks in the door card's basketweave in a (perhaps compromised) version of the speaker holes seen in early 928s.

Just thinking out loud here; not sure what the ramifications would be in audio terms. If we have any audio experts, I'd love to hear from them.
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Jan 18 2020, 10:14 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

How does it sound?

In the 70's I worked at Miller Audio on Wilshire in Beverly Hills. They made subwoofers called the M&K 1, then 2, then 3, etc. The drivers were suspended speakers and needed an unported enclosure. Took one home and paired it with two satellite speakers from Pyramid. $$$$$

I then studied EE and always read the acoustic proceedings of the IEEE. When I started making money I spent a great deal on audiophile-grade components chasing THD, sonic coupling and other audiophile absurdities seeking the perfect sound. Back at Miller audio, they started pressing Direct-to-Disk recordings to also chase the perfect sound. Such a holy grail.

My ears are now old - the sub-woofer in the car sounds great to me and my 18-year-old son who did the work loves the sound.

All that said for the following. In a small enclosure, a lot of what has been said on this thread is not necessary. We used a driver that did not require acoustic suspension (airtight enclosure) since it is very stiffly suspended, We used the middle counsel as the enclosure with the ports being the top and front opening. Bass waves at 10-300hz are very large, so getting great bass in such a small space and driver is difficult. Most audio engineers use acoustic coupling to the entire car just to get close to a small fraction of Lamda. However, we spent a great deal of time welding the car back together so I am against putting an audio jackhammer inside the car assaulting every component of the automobile.

Here is the driver we used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NHTXXN...=UTF8&psc=1

Also, we used a passive crossover and a 400-watt amp (peak) - make certain the amp only goes on when you are using it - ask me why I say this! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

What I like most is not having to cut the car apart (holes in the doors) - we put in new Jenson speakers within the original enclosure and also used the original radio to turn on the power amp and to play the radio, though my son plays his phone most of the time. 70's rock is his favorite - Seriously!

Send pictures of your system and your decisions.....

No matter what you do, you probably won't listen very often, the engine sounds too cool! A good friend has a Ferrari with a very high-end audio system installed. When I asked him how it sounds he replied that he never turned it on.......then we went through a tunnel.......THAT'S MUSIC..........ahhhhh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE(R Dub @ Jan 18 2020, 03:03 PM) *

ctc911ctc what sub did you go with? Also have you installed it yet? If so how does it sound?

+Quote Post
gereed75
post Jan 19 2020, 09:57 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

I know this is a DIY spirited kind of thread, but this seems like a pretty straightforward solution

https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RockGhost-...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Anybody ever try one?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 19 2020, 09:59 AM
Post #39

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

the trunk is semi sealed from the cabin.

You using this to keep mice out of the car.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jan 19 2020, 11:26 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

I'm away from my 914 for extended periods so I do a lot of research/reading in the meantime - wondering if something like this would fit under our seats?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019Z3RFG...sk_ql_qh_dp_hza

Dimensions: 12.4 x 11 x 2.7
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:55 PM