Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sub Woofer Installation, Tried to get better Audio without carving up the car
Mikey914
post Mar 27 2020, 09:11 AM
Post #81

The rubber man

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 26 2020, 09:49 PM) *

Thought I would report that the JL Audio sub mentioned earlier in this thread does NOT fit as a stealth installation. The magnet is just about 1/4" too large in diameter to fit into the footwell foam space. If you are willing to give up about an inch of footwell space, it would work, but I'm not. I'm sending mine back and will get one of these instead:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.crutchfieldonline.com-20845-1585284551.1.jpeg)
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P3SD28/Roc...8.html?tp=68847

The JL sounded really nice though. Even just using a cardboard box for an enclosure, it paired very nicely with my Infinity speakers.

@Mikey914 Any progress on those enclosures? Will there be a sealed enclosure option? I'm guessing the port could be sealed up easy enough, but curious.

Actually,
Been a bit busy at the day job working as many hours as they will let me. These are still on the list, but just on hold for a bit.
mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Mar 27 2020, 10:14 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

Keep in mind that i'm away from my 914 so trying to work this out in my head - do I have access to the foam if I simply pull the carpet from the front wall of the passenger footwell - and then the foam simply lifts out?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 27 2020, 10:34 AM
Post #83

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 27 2020, 09:14 AM) *

Keep in mind that i'm away from my 914 so trying to work this out in my head - do I have access to the foam if I simply pull the carpet from the front wall of the passenger footwell - and then the foam simply lifts out?

Yep. The front wall carpet gets pinned behind the center console (if you have one) and right speaker pod so you may have to remove the pod or do a little tugging to get enough slack from behind the console to free the foam, but it isn't a difficult operation at all.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Mar 27 2020, 10:48 AM
Post #84

Great - following this closely and appreciate your input and blazing the trail. I'm looking to do the totally stealth version and I think all I need is a template to cut the board that replaces the foam.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 27 2020, 10:57 AM
Post #85

914 Guru

I haven't found a powered sub that will fit for a truly stealth installation or I probably would go that route. Clearance under the seats is too low and the foot well space is a funky shape. You might be able to get close though. I looked at 6" subs but wasn't too impressed. Even in high school and college, I never liked loud thumping bass that muddied and overwhelmed the music. I just want something that delivers crisp punch at moderate volumes to round out the bottom end. Anything over 8 inches won't fit into the space occupied by the foam and even then, motor depth becomes an issue. I also want to recess the mounting ring enough that I can install a strong expanded metal grill flush to the surface so I don't have to worry about feet destroying the sub.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 27 2020, 03:26 PM
Post #86

914 Guru

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 27 2020, 09:48 AM) *

Great - following this closely and appreciate your input and blazing the trail. I'm looking to do the totally stealth version and I think all I need is a template to cut the board that replaces the foam.

Do you plan to seal the resulting enclosure? It is easy enough to cut a board that fits like the foam to mount a sub and I think George even sells them. The problem is figuring out how to seal the space to create a proper sub enclosure. Otherwise the sub is just running in free air space. That Pioneer posted earlier might work in that case. After thinking through all the options, I decided Mark's enclosure is by far the best. He just needs to get his priorities straight and focus on our trivial entertainment desires rather than putting bread on the table. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Mar 27 2020, 03:54 PM
Post #87

I think free air if at all possible...and I wish George would just sell that board but I don't see it offered solo on the site - but I seem to always have trouble on that site.

I'd really be interested in a turn-key, stealth solution but not to the extent George offers - I don't need/want the woofer or amp - just the mounting solution...
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Mar 27 2020, 04:48 PM
Post #88

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

I had made an enclosure for a passenger footwell sub but then ended up simply strapping a Bazooka under the dash on the passenger side. Simple install, driven by a dedicated R/F amp.

Works pretty well.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 27 2020, 06:09 PM
Post #89

914 Guru

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 27 2020, 02:54 PM) *

I think free air if at all possible...and I wish George would just sell that board but I don't see it offered solo on the site - but I seem to always have trouble on that site.

I'd really be interested in a turn-key, stealth solution but not to the extent George offers - I don't need/want the woofer or amp - just the mounting solution...

For what its worth, I cut a board matching the foam profile last night from MDF as a temporary mount and test the fit. It only took about 30-45 minutes to mark up and cut out. If free air works for you, it's a piece of cake. Hard part is getting that sucker mounted so it has clearance. My second sub is already on its way so we'll see how that goes.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 5 2020, 12:35 PM
Post #90

914 Guru

Posted this on my build thread a month ago but figured I'd update here. I think the Rockford-Fosgate sub will work in the foot well location. I just have it mounted on a cheezie temporary board for not until I can get that awesome enclosure Mark is working on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1586067181_thumb.jpg)

With the enclosure, I'll rig a flush mount with a sturdy grill to keep feet from poking through. I might have to sacrifice about 1/2" of foot space to make it completely flush but won't know for sure until I have the box. Even with the cobbled setup, it is pretty stealth.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1586067451_thumb.jpg)

Sound-wise, I liked the JL Audio sub better but this is pretty nice after it got broken in a little. It's a bit wimpy running free-air on that board though so I'm really looking forward to having an enclosure so I can button this up.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 5 2020, 01:19 PM
Post #91

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 5 2020, 11:35 AM) *

Posted this on my build thread a month ago but figured I'd update here. I think the Rockford-Fosgate sub will work in the foot well location. I just have it mounted on a cheezie temporary board for not until I can get that awesome enclosure Mark is working on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1586067181_thumb.jpg)

With the enclosure, I'll rig a flush mount with a sturdy grill to keep feet from poking through. I might have to sacrifice about 1/2" of foot space to make it completely flush but won't know for sure until I have the box. Even with the cobbled setup, it is pretty stealth.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1586067451_thumb.jpg)

Sound-wise, I liked the JL Audio sub better but this is pretty nice after it got broken in a little. It's a bit wimpy running free-air on that board though so I'm really looking forward to having an enclosure so I can button this up.

Nice work, and thanks for posting.

How much legroom lost? I had a similar setup, but it was covering a Pioneer bass wedge and it lost a couple of inches of leg room...which was too much.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 5 2020, 06:18 PM
Post #92

914 Guru

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 5 2020, 01:19 PM) *

Nice work, and thanks for posting.

How much legroom lost? I had a similar setup, but it was covering a Pioneer bass wedge and it lost a couple of inches of leg room...which was too much.

I'm hoping for zero legroom lost but will have to wait for the sub enclosure that replaces the foot well foam to see. Right now the board the sub is mounted on is in the same location as the front of the foam block. As you can see, the sub is surface mounted right now but I think I'll be able to mount it flush for a zero loss installation. As you know, that is an awkward space and there is a small cavity to tuck the magnet into even on a shallow mount sub. I know enough at this point that this install will lose a max of 3/4" leg room but probably less.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 31 2020, 08:05 PM
Post #93

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2020, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 24 2020, 07:34 AM) *

@messix - I think that's the way to go but I can't find it on 914Rubber's site. @Mikey914 ?

We are actually retooling on these right now. I'd be happy to post up a GB but these are 4-5 weeks from being ready. I could do the
Shell only at $66 if I could get 10 takers. I may even be able to get it lower but depends on how many are interested.

I'll post up a GB shortly.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif) @Mikey914

Any update on this one? I know you have a lot of irons in the fire. Hoping this one is still warm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 31 2020, 11:32 PM
Post #94

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Yes we have a prototype we've made and we are completing tooling. Plan for an announcement in about 14 days.
Mark
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 1 2020, 07:15 AM
Post #95

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 31 2020, 11:32 PM) *

Yes we have a prototype we've made and we are completing tooling. Plan for an announcement in about 14 days.
Mark

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Thanks!
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jun 1 2020, 08:23 AM
Post #96

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

have been making this for years, by far the best way to mount a bass speaker that does not affect the stock appearance or take up any room. Easy to make, and since the bass does not need to be exposed, an be covered
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jun 1 2020, 08:59 AM
Post #97

That's great George, but from what I can find, it's only available on your site as a kit with amp, etc. I don't need all that - just the blank board.....
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jun 1 2020, 09:09 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

You could probably design that to double as a foot rest, put the speaker on the side?
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jun 1 2020, 09:20 AM
Post #99

Stock appearance/stealth is my goal
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 1 2020, 09:21 AM
Post #100

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

The board is easy enough to make. I made one by tracing the factory foam pad and then transferring it to a piece of plywood.

But what I learned was, at least for me, any real loss in legroom results in a significantly less enjoyable car to be in for the passenger. What I thought was acceptable was a lot less so while riding in my car.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:52 AM