Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Gasoline - 90 Octane, Ethanol Free (89), or additives, How to reduce valve knock
dcecc1968
post Feb 6 2019, 07:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,313
Region Association: South East States

We are having some Spring weather this week in Charlotte, NC (and no rain!) so I've been driving the 914 and noticed that after about 20 minutes of driving, the valves intermittently knock from "normal" to very loud for no apparent rhyme or reason.

Outside of the obvious that it may be time for a valve adjustment, I wondered what Gasoline grade folks are using.

What Petro are you using in your 914?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
bbrock
post Feb 7 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

At what compression should you start thinking about higher octane? More specifically, 8.0:1 compression?

Side question: Anyone know why they raised the octane of regular gas in high elevation states? Until a couple years ago, regular gas in Montana and surrounding states was 85, then a couple years ago, they suddenly raised it to 87. Emissions standards? I always thought it was better to run a little lower octane at altitude to compensate for lower atmospheric oxygen content. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 7 2019, 03:52 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 7 2019, 08:21 AM) *

Side question: Anyone know why they raised the octane of regular gas in high elevation states? Until a couple years ago, regular gas in Montana and surrounding states was 85, then a couple years ago, they suddenly raised it to 87.

I'm betting it's cost. If they don't have to deal with making a separate grade of fuel for high-altitude states, it probably costs them less.

NOTE: These engines were not designed for leaded fuel. They have hardened valve seats from the factory, and the guides are a material that does not require lead for lubrication. If there are any Porsches that require leaded fuel, they would be fairly early 356 models. All others should be fine on unleaded fuel.

Heck, some of the 75-76 914s required unleaded gas because they ran catalytic converters.

--DD
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 8 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #4

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 7 2019, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 7 2019, 08:21 AM) *

Side question: Anyone know why they raised the octane of regular gas in high elevation states? Until a couple years ago, regular gas in Montana and surrounding states was 85, then a couple years ago, they suddenly raised it to 87.

I'm betting it's cost. If they don't have to deal with making a separate grade of fuel for high-altitude states, it probably costs them less.

NOTE: These engines were not designed for leaded fuel. They have hardened valve seats from the factory, and the guides are a material that does not require lead for lubrication. If there are any Porsches that require leaded fuel, they would be fairly early 356 models. All others should be fine on unleaded fuel.

Heck, some of the 75-76 914s required unleaded gas because they ran catalytic converters.

--DD

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
VW/Porsche only used steel seats, it's cast iron that needs lead.
Some shoddy rebuilders used cast iron seats and guides, a no-no for rebuilding our heads.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:47 AM