Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Garage Lighting, Garage Demo - Looking for direction
ctc911ctc
post Feb 6 2019, 10:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

All Teeners,

I did a search within this list not sure this was covered previously.

I am going to demo my garage interior. install lighting, electric, heated floor, the whole deal.

My question is what is the direction to go as to the in ceiling lighting? Fluorescent is the path I was heading, though LED is getting better,

Any experience with _products_ that are working well for the people in this forum?

Thanks!
CTC911CTC
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Feb 6 2019, 10:33 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have 9-8' florescent fixtures that hold 2 bulbs each. They use a lot of electricity so as they burn out I have been replacing the bulbs with 8' leds. They are great! I believe they use 25% of the power and they are brighter. In my opinion florescent lights shouldn't be considered.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mayne
post Feb 6 2019, 10:40 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,880
Region Association: None

I installed 2 8' LED lights in my 20x24 garage build last year and they're great.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 6 2019, 10:40 AM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

LED, LED, LED!
+Quote Post
BPic
post Feb 6 2019, 10:41 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

I had florescent and swapped them for LED 4' fixtures from Home Depot. Think they were like $40-50 each. Much brighter, less energy, and lasts longer. I love them.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 6 2019, 10:43 AM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Feb 6 2019, 11:32 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,459

I replaced all the fluorescent shop lights in my garage last year with the LED shop lights that Lowes had on sale for about $34 for a 48” unit. They were Utilitech Pro Strip Shop Light (Common: 4-ft; Actual: 6.5-in x 48-in) Item #: 595731 | Model #: MXL2006-LED2X24K840

The old fluorescent lights did not work well in the cold and were constantly burning out.

The new LED lights are simply amazing giving out much better lighting instantly. I highly recommend them to anyone!

Jeff B
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 6 2019, 11:41 AM
Post #8

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I installed 2'x2' LED lights in my ceiling. I think I got them for around $65 each shipped, and I have 40 of them. Took some shopping to get that price. Yeah, seems like overkill on paper. In reality, they give me terrific lighting in the garage with no dark spots. I have them split on 3 separate switches so I can get low, med or high levels of light. You will never regret going with more lighting-especially as your eyes get older.

These lights are instant on/off, make no noise and are the equivalent of about 10 watts each in energy if I recall correctly.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 6 2019, 11:42 AM
Post #9

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

An aside while you're doing the demo & picking lighting, is to see if you can get enough vertical clearance to use a 2 or 4 post lift in there too.

since you're demo'ing the the floor & ceiling, you may be able to tweak it to find enough height for the lift now or in the future. So also don't put in too deep of a ceiling & lighting system in there if you do get the height for a lift, & spoil it.

You also may have to look at where you place the lights too, in order to stay out from where the lift + car would go up.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Cal
post Feb 6 2019, 11:47 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,138

LED works the best and throws plenty of light. I only used (3) 4' LED in my 15' x 40' man-cave that I recently renovated.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Valy
post Feb 6 2019, 12:00 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,573

LED are the most energy efficient today so no question here.
BUT, make sure that the fixtures you get have replaceable bulbs/tubes. The LEDs themself will last forever but the power regulators inside the bulbs are pretty low quality and burn much faster than the LED itself. If the fixture has the light element built in, you'll be hunting for matching fixtures in few years.
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Feb 6 2019, 12:09 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 22,206

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 6 2019, 12:41 PM) *

I installed 2'x2' LED lights in my ceiling. I think I got them for around $65 each shipped, and I have 40 of them. Took some shopping to get that price. Yeah, seems like overkill on paper. In reality, they give me terrific lighting in the garage with no dark spots. I have them split on 3 separate switches so I can get low, med or high levels of light. You will never regret going with more lighting-especially as your eyes get older.

These lights are instant on/off, make no noise and are the equivalent of about 10 watts each in energy if I recall correctly.

Attached Image
\\

At first I saw these as mounted on the garage door - then I rotated the picture.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 6 2019, 12:26 PM
Post #13

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

LEDs are no doubt superior. Think perimeter for placement. Running lights down the center of a bay is a waste of lumens. If you have appropriate space, you can also install a light at ground level to aid illumination under the car. Another great convenience is a motion sensor light with the sensor aimed at the garage entry. That way you’ll always have light when you enter and leave the room and if your hands are full you won’t have to flip the switch.

Pay close attention to outlets also. Can’t have too many. Consider putting some at ground level. Also, many electricians will run multiple circuits with outlets alternated so you don’t overload when using multiple, large draw tools in the same area.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Feb 6 2019, 12:37 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,476

Go with a lower color temperature (in degrees Kelvin). Too much blue makes a car look ugly. IMHO.
+Quote Post
davehg
post Feb 6 2019, 03:02 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 21,443
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I bought a number of LED shop lights (rectangular) at Costco - they regularly go on sale for $25. You can daisy chain 1-2 of them, and they throw excellent light. I've got 10 of them now and am quite happy at the cost/performance ratio. They are mounted on the ceiling of my shop area which is about 9" high

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1549487690.1.jpg)

I have two large adjoining garage bays 30 feet deep with 24 foot ceilings that I am also looking to light, and I will likely need some LED highbays. I've eyed the "Big Ass Lights" which look to be reasonably powerful but add expense.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 6 2019, 03:33 PM
Post #16

Michael

ctc911ctc - Yeah sorry about that. Those are on the ceiling. I have a 10' ceiling and wish it were 12'. They throw a lot of light and are all perfectly lined up. They are a flush mount and the fixture is at most 3/4" which. The end result was pretty clean.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 6 2019, 03:33 PM
Post #17

Michael

Cal - I love the brick floor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 6 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #18

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

All I can say is our members have some very nice Man Caves.

LED is the way on the lights if you have the extra change.

As someone that has had a factory for 40 years, regular fluorescents die too fast.

In the long run, you will save plus money you get nice pictures with LED. The price is much better with LEDs now as compared to several years ago.

Bob B
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Feb 6 2019, 04:27 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(davehg @ Feb 6 2019, 01:02 PM) *

I bought a number of LED shop lights (rectangular) at Costco - they regularly go on sale for $25. You can daisy chain 1-2 of them, and they throw excellent light. I've got 10 of them now and am quite happy at the cost/performance ratio. They are mounted on the ceiling of my shop area which is about 9" high

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-21443-1549487690.1.jpg)

I have two large adjoining garage bays 30 feet deep with 24 foot ceilings that I am also looking to light, and I will likely need some LED highbays. I've eyed the "Big Ass Lights" which look to be reasonably powerful but add expense.

I bought a Big Ass Haiku shop light 2 yrs. ago for the garage/shop, liked it so well I bought another for the woodturning shop area. With 12' ceilings it's like daylight in there now, only bad thing is they show every speck of dirt or cobwebs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
tmessenger
post Feb 6 2019, 05:18 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 22,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've been a mechanical engineer for the commercial building industry for many years so have been designing lighting systems up through first magnetic then electronic ballast fluorescent, then LED's.

IMO there is no comparison LED shop fixtures are directional so do not lose lumens in the fixture housing like fluorescents. Much more efficient with more true foot candles on the workspace. Also just better light quality, you can get LED's in a wide range of kalvin temperatures so if you want to emulate incandescent bulbs get 3000 kalvin or if you want to emulate daylighting get 5000 kalvin.

10 years ago LED's were very spendy now you can get 4' LED shop light a Menards for $17.00

Tim
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:24 AM