Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clutch issue or something more?, Need to erase the grind
MiniStevieG
post Feb 10 2019, 05:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,827
Region Association: Southwest Region

Experiencing some issues when shifting gears. I’m finding that even with the clutch pedal pressed the entire way to the floor I’m grinding a bit when shifting. I did a bit of research and decided to adjust the tensioner on the back cable assembly.

First I tried tightening the nut thinking this would help the clutch to engage sooner but in fact the issue appeared worse after I tightened it. I then adjusted the nut back to where I started and tried loosening it but that didn’t help either. Anyone care to take a stab at what the issue might be? New cable assembly maybe? Pressure plate?

Thanks everyone!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 10 2019, 05:37 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

Clutch cable tube maybe broken. Check at firewall first. Next check inspection plate inside between seats at the front of the firewall.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Feb 10 2019, 05:39 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 10 2019, 03:17 PM) *

Experiencing some issues when shifting gears. I’m finding that even with the clutch pedal pressed the entire way to the floor I’m grinding a bit when shifting. I did a bit of research and decided to adjust the tensioner on the back cable assembly.

First I tried tightening the nut thinking this would help the clutch to engage sooner but in fact the issue appeared worse after I tightened it. I then adjusted the nut back to where I started and tried loosening it but that didn’t help either. Anyone care to take a stab at what the issue might be? New cable assembly maybe? Pressure plate?

Thanks everyone!!

This is typical experience of a rusting firewall where the clutch cable exits into the engine compartment, which fails to hold the clutch cable outer sheath in place, which prevents the clutch cable from pulling a full peddle stroke - thus, not fully disengaging the clutch. It is easy to inspect once you can get under the car and check it out while someone pushes the clutch peddle. Lots of advice here for a good fix.
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Feb 10 2019, 05:42 PM
Post #4

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805

Check clutch pedal freeplay, and adjust at the cable end at trans as you have seen. Should have 1/2" to 3/4" free play at the pedal-including distance of pedal lifted to stop. Also check for common problem of clutch cable tube welds breaking, as this can cause pproblem you describe. Good info on this here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=28313&hl=
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 11 2019, 02:49 PM
Post #5

Struggling with this one. The clutch cable tube come from the center tunnel to the rear appears to be okay but of course I'm not sure how to inspect the inside of the center tunnel to know if it's getting a full pedal. Any other insight is good.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 11 2019, 02:54 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

Two inspection plates on the center tunnel. Front is under the carpet by the pedal assembly. 2nd under the center cushion or tray. Take rear cover off and watch tube as someone pushes in the clutch. You will probably see tube moving when depressed.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 11 2019, 04:46 PM
Post #7

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

like mark said. Maybe remove the shifter from the yoke on the front rod preserving the current setting. Take the seats out first so you have room to work.
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 12 2019, 01:05 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 11 2019, 02:54 PM) *

Two inspection plates on the center tunnel. Front is under the carpet by the pedal assembly. 2nd under the center cushion or tray. Take rear cover off and watch tube as someone pushes in the clutch. You will probably see tube moving when depressed.

I was able to get a look after removing the seats and center console and peeling back the carpet. Front inspection area by the pedal assembly seems good. But yes the tube is moving further back but only slightly under the area near the shift yoke when the clutch is pushed.

Appears there was some fiberglass work under the car due to rust I assume so I’m not able to get a very good look at how/if the tube is mounted proper without cutting in that area. So before I get to cutting I’m curious if this could even remotely be related to transmission fluid level being low or something else?
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 12 2019, 01:35 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(MiniStevieG @ Feb 12 2019, 01:05 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 11 2019, 02:54 PM) *

I was able to get a look after removing the seats and center console and peeling back the carpet. Front inspection area by the pedal assembly seems good. But yes the tube is moving further back but only slightly under the area near the shift yoke when the clutch is pushed.

Appears there was some fiberglass work under the car due to rust I assume so I’m not able to get a very good look at how/if the tube is mounted proper without cutting in that area. So before I get to cutting I’m curious if this could even remotely be related to transmission fluid level being low or something else?

Okay so I cut the center tunnel behind the cross brace and yep the bracket is broke. Shouldn’t be a problem welding this to the floor. Makes me nervous using the cutting tool with all the sparks near that gas line though. It looks awful at the firewall as well but that area certainly looks harder to access. While I’m hopeful this fixes the gear grinding issues I’m not entirely convinced this is the fix because there is still minimal flex on the tube when the clutch is pressed. Gonna weld it up and give it a go. Thanks everyone for your input.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 12 2019, 01:57 PM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

like Rohdy said..you need to look there....forward of the shifter hole,,,it may not move front to back , but it maybe trying to straighten itself out , when the front bracket is broken

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 12 2019, 02:09 PM
Post #11

Thanks for clairifying Jeff. Spot on the mark.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 12 2019, 02:28 PM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

also shifter in neutral, hold it over to the right, push in the clutch,,you might feel the tube come in contact with the linkage.. mine was that bad
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 12 2019, 05:46 PM
Post #13

Took a pic of the front of the tunnel. Clutch tube laying on bottom? If so this bugger is broke in all 3 spots.

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 12 2019, 05:46 PM
Post #14

Is this a 1st/R thing or all gears?
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 12 2019, 06:23 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 12 2019, 01:57 PM) *

like Rohdy said..you need to look there....forward of the shifter hole,,,it may not move front to back , but it maybe trying to straighten itself out , when the front bracket is broken

This is the front of the tunnel. Is the clutch tube mounted to the bottom there or is it broken?
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 12 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #16

Looks broke to me
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 12 2019, 08:26 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 12 2019, 05:46 PM) *

Looks broke to me

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) It's broken, but at least the mystery is solved.
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 12 2019, 08:32 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 12 2019, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 12 2019, 05:46 PM) *

Looks broke to me

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) It's broken, but at least the mystery is solved.

Yes indeed all 3 spots. Mystery solved. Time to fire up the shop lights and get this thing healed.
Thanks everyone!!
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Feb 12 2019, 08:44 PM
Post #19

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805

Repairing this will indeed improve clutch action and shifting. You'll be a happy 914er with this clutch cable tube fault upfixed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Feb 12 2019, 08:57 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(mark04usa @ Feb 12 2019, 08:44 PM) *

Repairing this will indeed improve clutch action and shifting. You'll be a happy 914er with this clutch cable tube fault upfixed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Stoked!! Curious if it makes most sense to weld this to the bottom or side panel for best results. Thoughts?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:56 PM