Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fuel pump issues, anyone had the Carter (CB) pump fail early in life?
porschetub
post Feb 10 2019, 10:21 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Car is out from the cover of my shed while I do renovation work on my house to sell it,been tucked away under car covers @ the rear of my house ,went to move it to other undercover storage and the fuel pump was a no go,checked relay,replaced earth lead which was a bit dodgy,fuse on my rebuilt relay board is ok,a bit lost on this as the pump has only done low hours.
Anyone had one fail ? or other suggestions what to look for before I proceed further but I have little time for this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
Mark Henry
post Feb 11 2019, 08:56 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Did you try running a wire direct? good ground?
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Feb 11 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Thanks Mark ...no I haven't will try to find time today.
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post Feb 11 2019, 12:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I picked up a little debris that ties up the pump and stalled the motor. I reversed the polarity and spun the pump backwards and it cleared the bind and started to spin again. Hook everything back up and is still working to date
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Feb 12 2019, 12:04 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Strange shit going down,cycled the key a few times and the pump finally woke up,3 pumps on the throttle and hand throttle on full and the six fired up and ran great,up to temp and then the pump tips over again..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) .
Hate to say it but think power from relay board to pump is shite but why is my relay board fuse showing no power with key on..just don't know or have the time.
Will power the pump up from another supply tomorrow ...see how it pans out.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Feb 12 2019, 12:15 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Your ignition switch may be ending its career.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Feb 12 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 12 2019, 07:15 PM) *

Hi yeah know the issue with the switches,one I have is near new (done 500kms ),more tests showed power direct to pump with a battery and it works,supply wire has continuity to pin 13 on 14pin relay board connector so that's a good start, appears to have power with key on to fuel pump fuse (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) .
Stuffed around with various other things one being a relay change and bingo won a price ,pump worked,appears the large amount of spare relays supplied by PO are suspect (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) .
My whole electrical system has gremlins everywhere which pisses me off however now I can move the car to undercover storage.
Thanks to all that provided tips and feel like a dick cause I should know better but dealing with 40+yr old parts is a crapshoot afterall.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Feb 13 2019, 08:16 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 13 2019, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 12 2019, 07:15 PM) *

Hi yeah know the issue with the switches,one I have is near new (done 500kms ),more tests showed power direct to pump with a battery and it works,supply wire has continuity to pin 13 on 14pin relay board connector so that's a good start, appears to have power with key on to fuel pump fuse (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) .
Stuffed around with various other things one being a relay change and bingo won a price ,pump worked,appears the large amount of spare relays supplied by PO are suspect (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) .
My whole electrical system has gremlins everywhere which pisses me off however now I can move the car to undercover storage.
Thanks to all that provided tips and feel like a dick cause I should know better but dealing with 40+yr old parts is a crapshoot afterall.

Update
Well my fix hasn't worked,boxed up gravel guard over pump lowered the car back down ,added fresh fuel tried to start but pump not working again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ,I had previously checked it many times yesterday and worked first time every time,pulled the relay board and found the positive on the pump fuse a little melted and loose ,I thinks there is a poor contact in side of the board.
My plan is to transpose pins 11 and 13 on the 14 pin plug and run off the heater boost fan /rear heated window circuit with smaller fuse for my fuel pump...should work ok (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Feb 15 2019, 01:00 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Been busy with contractors on my house,problem was the issue with the car was bugging to the point of distraction.
Next day I have some time in the morning and couldn't stop thinking it was a relay problem as all tests done according to past threads on here pointed to that,found a large bag of spare ones and tested them using my RH side headlight motor and marked them good or bad,found 4 that were dead.
I then tested what relays still left on the board and found the power supply one was buggered which explained my issues.
Car up and running ,lets hope that is the end of it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:34 AM