Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wiring ideas...
Ben Nichols
post Feb 17 2019, 05:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,873
Region Association: Europe

Hi All

As you may know I need to rewire my 914/4.

I've been think that whilst I doing it I may as well update it. I am thinking of running LED's all round (headlights, spotlights, fig lights, rear lights, gauges) basically the works, to try and keep the stress off the alternator and give me some proper lighting. I am also thinking of putting a USB socket in somewhere for charging phones etc.

I want to keep the look as original as possible but as its not a matching numbers car and running on 16's its not original but I intend to keep it for a long time and want it future proof to a degree. I've decided I'm going to do things once now and get it right the first time.

Has anyone upgraded to LED's and have any idea of what funky stuff I need in the harness to make it work? I assume its possible....!

Thanks

Ben
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Feb 17 2019, 06:33 AM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

LEDs for the 914 are available from a few vendors posting on this site.

914rubber: LED headlights and interior LED bulbs
SpokeworksLED: Custom designed exterior turnsignal/brakes/reverse LED boards for the 914.
Myriad of online/FLAPS general purpose LED replacement bulbs from places like superbrightLED, AdvanceAuto, RockAuto, Amazon.

Caveats when changing to all LEDs:
1) Turnsignal flasher needs to be LED-compatible EP26 with C2 pin grounded. (SpokeworksLED)
2) Ballast resistor for foglight compatibility with LED headlights. (914rubber)
3) DO NOT change the GEN light to LED. It must remain the correct wattage incandescent bulb.
+Quote Post
Ben Nichols
post Feb 17 2019, 10:16 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 22,873
Region Association: Europe

Thanks Jerry

I will see how I get on with having the harness built.

Ben
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 17 2019, 10:41 AM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Jerry's LED upgrade is Awesome!. Modern car performance and simple to install. LED headlights are like converting a tired 4 into a hot 6. Takes it to the next level. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
worn
post Feb 17 2019, 11:16 AM
Post #5

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Ben Nichols @ Feb 17 2019, 03:36 AM) *

Hi All

As you may know I need to rewire my 914/4.

I've been think that whilst I doing it I may as well update it. I am thinking of running LED's all round (headlights, spotlights, fig lights, rear lights, gauges) basically the works, to try and keep the stress off the alternator and give me some proper lighting. I am also thinking of putting a USB socket in somewhere for charging phones etc.

I want to keep the look as original as possible but as its not a matching numbers car and running on 16's its not original but I intend to keep it for a long time and want it future proof to a degree. I've decided I'm going to do things once now and get it right the first time.

Has anyone upgraded to LED's and have any idea of what funky stuff I need in the harness to make it work? I assume its possible....!

Thanks

Ben

No pics, but I installed a set of USB outlets in the console. I have a blck aluminum gauge plate instead of upholstery and the USB outlets come through a little rectangle cut out. Have them wired to a 5 V step down buck (thanks for the advice Mark Henry). Convenient spot. Phone goes down by the gear shift or between the seats.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Feb 17 2019, 04:24 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

To the OP: in the spirit of getting it right first time: with the higher efficiency and lower current draw of the LED lighting loads, there should be vast chunks of the standard wiring loom that could be changed to lighter gauge wiring. This would need some detail analysis and some margining to make sure everything has overhead, but would:

a) save a little weight and
b) make the loom more flexible / thinner in places, (easier to remove / replace) as well as
c) replacing a bunch of decades old insulation and connectors

Some of the fuse ratings could be re-evaluated as well. Obviously things like the headlight motors and blower, etc. should not be compromised. Someone on here may well have looked at this....?

Just a thought,

- Tony
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Feb 17 2019, 10:34 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

If you can, keep the harness stock and change out the relay. I think the stock set up is pretty slick. Unless you are going all out and didn’t have a harness to start with, don’t worry about it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:15 PM