Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Putting the 914 on hold for 2 to 4 months.., Not happy in the garage.
Mueller
post Feb 17 2019, 08:46 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I've really tried to get the 914 together, had some great help by Harry with motor and transmission and Moe getting the old suspension off.

Today I got so upset I almost put a drill thru my head, teeth are hurting from gritting them so much. Calmed down a little once family showed up and talked to kids and pet the dog. I never got so upset before, not sure if the meds are making me more prone to get pissed off at my situation at home (garage life)

So wife and I talked and I told her no more 914 until I get my garage and shop how I want it and I am at piece with them....I know sounds lame and I was kind of relieved when I went into the ER and my car build/bbq was cancelled.

Will still browse here a bit to gather info, thanks all...the 914 isn't in the classifieds yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks, Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 17 2019, 08:53 PM
Post #2

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

Mike, I know full well how hard it is to try to work on a project when the garage/ shop is not how it needs to be, you are making the right call. Organization is key to enjoying what you are doing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Feb 17 2019, 10:31 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

There is no shame is pushing it aside, it’s supposed to be fun.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Feb 17 2019, 10:58 PM
Post #4

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

We have all "been-there-felt-that" to some degree. Some down time to regroup is a good thing.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Feb 18 2019, 06:34 AM
Post #5

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

There's nothing wrong with taking a break Mike.
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Feb 18 2019, 06:59 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,459

Sometimes it is good to just step back and take a break from it all. It can give you a fresh perspective.

I try to break big projects up into smaller projects that I can cross off my list, that way it doesn’t overwhelm me so much.

One other thing that really helped me was to update my fluorescent lights to LED lights and add a Sonos in the garage. Good lighting and tunes made it much more enjoyable to work in the garage.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 18 2019, 07:10 AM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Health and family are #1, in the grand scheme of things the car project is way down on the list.
Take a break and spend some quality time with the wife and kids.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 18 2019, 07:47 AM
Post #8

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Hey Mike- If you decide you want to empty the garage and organize it all and just need help with that, I am available to lend a hand. I might even be able to talk my brother into coming too. Straightening things out always helps me when I get overloaded. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 18 2019, 08:09 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Should you need/want, we're here to help, Mike.
But I hear you. I haven't touched my car in a couple months.
Take care.
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Feb 18 2019, 09:07 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,984

Go outside in the cold and work on an old Lincoln that will give you some perspective
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Feb 18 2019, 09:11 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 18 2019, 04:34 AM) *

There's nothing wrong with taking a break Mike.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I need to reorg my garage before I start putting mine back together too. SOOOOO many parts all over the place (along with house stuff and kid stuff). Smart to get it sorted first to help with later stresses.
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 18 2019, 05:10 AM) *

Health and family are #1, in the grand scheme of things the car project is way down on the list.
Take a break and spend some quality time with the wife and kids.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I agree with this too...I've been justifying my procrastination by saying doing something to benefit just myself doesn't make sense when I can work on stuff that benefits a lot of people.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 18 2019, 09:21 AM
Post #12

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

Totally normal reaction, Mike. Once every month or two I do the same thing. In fact my last episode was just last week. I have a meltdown because I can't find something (who could in this mess) then perform the only viable solution. Clean, organize and take a deep breath. Do what you can when you can and if you need a helping hand just holler. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 18 2019, 11:01 AM
Post #13

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 17 2019, 09:46 PM) *

I've really tried to get the 914 together, had some great help by Harry with motor and transmission and Moe getting the old suspension off.

Today I got so upset I almost put a drill thru my head, teeth are hurting from gritting them so much. Calmed down a little once family showed up and talked to kids and pet the dog. I never got so upset before, not sure if the meds are making me more prone to get pissed off at my situation at home (garage life)

So wife and I talked and I told her no more 914 until I get my garage and shop how I want it and I am at piece with them....I know sounds lame and I was kind of relieved when I went into the ER and my car build/bbq was cancelled.

Will still browse here a bit to gather info, thanks all...the 914 isn't in the classifieds yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks, Mike

Next time I am out there, I may just track you down to make you do something fun and relaxing....like go find Andy and watch him remodel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Feb 18 2019, 03:07 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Hang in there buddy. I know that feeling, sometimes have to take some time off myself to remember I'm supposed to be in the garage to decompress!
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Feb 18 2019, 03:51 PM
Post #15

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

I understand Mike, I've had to curtail my garage time the last two months.
I've got some extra shelving and metal wall cabinets hanging around. So when you are ready share your dream garage layout and we can take it from there, meanwhile family (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Keep us posted....

Oscar
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 18 2019, 04:10 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mike,

Totally get the feeling. I have felt that way along my project.. This last week it was IKEA "mud room" remodeling time at our house dead of winter type of stuff. I HATE remodeling but it gives me a break on working on my car.. What I have learned is that really if I work on my car it's only at most 1.5 hours at a time or I will rush or get frustrated etc.. I too take breaks to reorganize infact during my remodeling last week to get some me time I reorganized a few areas and decided to buy a lift to make life easier.. I had one 10 years ago and sold it before we moved into our current house..

We have all been there.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 18 2019, 06:00 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I got really frustrated with my car and wanted to push it off of the end of San Clemente Pier.

I'm glad I didn't, I got so much support here from people I've b
never met.

We're her for you, even if you just need to vent.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 18 2019, 06:04 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Mike I feel you on the garage stuff. Mine sat in the garage for almost a year with zero work. We had moved & I just had to much $hit in the garage. So every time I went out there. I just got pissed off because there was to much in the way. In general to much stuff that isn't supposed to be living in my garage. When your garage is frustrating in itself. It makes working on your car twice as hard. I finally got back to it but shortly after I took it to a shop to finish. I figured while it was gone I could get my garage under control. Now my car is about to come back home. Unfortunately there is still to much in my garage. I guess my car will be running again so I don't need as much space to work on it. It will just piss me off every time I open the door to drive it in or out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
amfab
post Feb 18 2019, 06:27 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 20,004

I updated my sig. It helps me to "check out" when I am am feeling overwhelmed or frustrated
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Feb 18 2019, 07:11 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

Everyone has a different situation at hand in managing their work space and still enjoy working on their project car.
Mine is limited space and lots to do still. Similar to Ben, I work in 1 to 2 hr sessions mostly. More if I am in a rhythm. Be consistent and every so often its manage/clean the workspace time instead. It helps me to bounce between tasks too to keep things interesting and fun which is one reason I picked this "project" car to begin with. Hope this helps you and/or others who might be frustrated with progress.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:11 AM