Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tires, Choices
Mark Henry
post Feb 21 2019, 07:15 AM
Post #21

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Dougal Cawley @ Feb 21 2019, 05:49 AM) *

195/55R15 is completely the wrong diameter

80% of the correct 165 = a side wall height of 132mm

55% of 195mm = side wall height of 107mm so that tyre will be an inch too small in radius. so gearing wrong as well as handling effected.

the lower profile you go and the wider you go the more derogatory effects on handling. With racing cars, (which is totally different to road cars.) these cars are lowered with stiffer suspension, and they change the camber and caster, so it is like a wholey different car. which is then not so suitable for the road.

The effects of putting wider lower, profile, squarer shouldered tyres on a car like that are that because you have relatively soft suspension, and because the wheels stay parallel with the car (instead of adding adverse camber as the car rolls) as you corner and the car leans, it climbs onto the shoulder of the tyre lifting the inside edge, which creates a sudden loss of grip, so the idea that they give more grip, is not as clear cut as it might seem. the tyre itself offers more grip, but only when you have the chassis to suit.

I have a set 205/55-15 on the wife's car and I agree they are too small for the size of the wheel well. If you have the ear of the manufacturers many porsche owners, 914 and 911, would love decent performance tires in 205/60-15 and 195/65-15 size.
I'm sure there're other 60's-70's classic cars owners that also would be interested in these sizes.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Racer
post Feb 21 2019, 07:20 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sithot - sounds like you know what you want.. 205-50-15s.. unless the ride is too crushing, then you are stuck with what will be inferior (performing) softer tires. Gearing and ride quality be damned! lol..

Course, you could buy another set of rims and run 165s on them.. and get to slide the car at very low performance limits.

And then have one another set for AX.

RE71, Rivals, Azenis 615, Dunlop Direzza etc are all really nice tires.

The P6000 is for touring sedans.. don't waste your time.

+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 21 2019, 11:41 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 14,145
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(sithot @ Feb 21 2019, 04:47 AM) *

>> Also have a '74 911 with Goodyear Eagle Sport tires on it. They are 195/65x15 and I'm anxiously looking forward to taking them off the car. <<
>> The tires don't take input without a moment of "indecision" before they take the line. That's unsettling. <<

Could not agree more, and exactly why I'm looking for something else, except mine are 205/60X15 and on a teener. They're probably great tires for something like a Corvette, but the my little car just doesn't have the heft to make the tires work for the car instead of the other way around.

- MR
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 21 2019, 12:03 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(sithot @ Feb 19 2019, 05:06 AM) *

Yokohama ADVAN A048 - 9.1 (205/60 or 205/50) Pricey but here is your 205/60, Mark. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

My car had a set of worn-out Advans when I bought it. The PO really liked them and as sithot notes, they come in the size I'm looking for. Unfortunately, not only can you not drive them in the rain or at subzero temps (not a problem for me), but the mfr. states they cannot be *STORED* at cold temps (something like 15 deg F. or below ??), because it could damage the rubber compound. THAT is a problem for me, because the detached garage can hit that in the coldest stretches of winter, since it's a weekend place and I don't leave the heat on in the garage when we're not there.

- MR
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 21 2019, 12:25 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Dougal Cawley @ Feb 21 2019, 02:49 AM) *

195/55R15 is completely the wrong diameter

80% of the correct 165 = a side wall height of 132mm

55% of 195mm = side wall height of 107mm so that tyre will be an inch too small in radius. so gearing wrong as well as handling effected.

the lower profile you go and the wider you go the more derogatory effects on handling. With racing cars, (which is totally different to road cars.) these cars are lowered with stiffer suspension, and they change the camber and caster, so it is like a wholey different car. which is then not so suitable for the road.

The effects of putting wider lower, profile, squarer shouldered tyres on a car like that are that because you have relatively soft suspension, and because the wheels stay parallel with the car (instead of adding adverse camber as the car rolls) as you corner and the car leans, it climbs onto the shoulder of the tyre lifting the inside edge, which creates a sudden loss of grip, so the idea that they give more grip, is not as clear cut as it might seem. the tyre itself offers more grip, but only when you have the chassis to suit.

^ I dunno. There's about 50 years of fast Porsches here on the West Coast that would argue with the conclusions (not the theory, necessarily) of the above—primarily because many (most?) 914s that are still on the road and used in a sporting manner have been set up to take advantage of the best tires their owners could find for their purposes.

And I will say, my car probably drove best on 205/60R15 A-008R TUs or 205/55R15 BFG Comp T/A 3s. The Vreds in 185/70 were truly prosaic and offered so little grip that the car lost a lot of the fun factor, while I am not all that amazed by the (very expensive) Avon CR6ZZ tires I purchased. I should have ordered the softest compound. The CN36 are unlikely to be more sporting than the CR6ZZ.

Out here, all of the fast autocross 914s had one thing in common: short sidewalls and small-diameter tires. And this was true for heavily prepared cars or, like my car, mildly prepared cars. I'd be curious to see some very good testing done with tall vs short sidewall tires per your input above, but I think the other thing those drivers liked about the short tires was the gearing advantage on the autocross. I liked the gearing advantage of 205/55R15 on the street—the car was still comfortable at cruising speeds, and the BFGs offered a wonderful mix of comfort, grip, and near-limit behavior.

So, if I am looking for a performance tire for a narrow 914, the three I'd be looking at are the Dunlop in 205/55R15, the A048 in 205/60R15 or one of the truly aggressive 205/50R15 if soft, warm-climate only rubber was okay for my use, or the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 in 205/55R16. My setback is a desire for period appearance.

Of course, just about any tire of today is miles ahead of what these cars came on new. We've just been spoiled by some great tires between then and now...
+Quote Post
Dougal Cawley
post Feb 22 2019, 03:56 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 20,953
Region Association: England

for straight line point and squirt cars. yes wider tyres will give you less wheel spin.

However for handling a period tyre will be better, for hard racing use a sider tyre will give you less wheel spin out of the slow corners, but 185/70VR15 CR6ZZ or the 185/70VR15 CN36 will handle better.

Yes when you have change the set up of your car for Auto Testing you make it suit a modern tyre on the race track on perfectly smooth flat roads. yes it is different.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sithot
post Feb 22 2019, 07:22 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 7,090

For the sake of transparency, Doug sells tires for Longstone. Their market is "correct" vintage Porsche tires.
There are no bargains in this market just like Coker Tire. FWIW: A 205/50x15 P7 is $360.36.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-ca...914.html#page=2

I am grateful that companies like Longstone and Coker are around because they do fill a void for vintage tires and what's more vintage than a 15" wheel? lol
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Feb 22 2019, 07:58 AM
Post #28

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Feb 21 2019, 01:03 PM) *

Yokohama ADVAN A048 - 9.1 (205/60 or 205/50) Pricey but here is your 205/60, Mark. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

My car had a set of worn-out Advans when I bought it. The PO really liked them and as sithot notes, they come in the size I'm looking for. Unfortunately, not only can you not drive them in the rain or at subzero temps (not a problem for me), but the mfr. states they cannot be *STORED* at cold temps (something like 15 deg F. or below ??), because it could damage the rubber compound. THAT is a problem for me, because the detached garage can hit that in the coldest stretches of winter, since it's a weekend place and I don't leave the heat on in the garage when we're not there.

- MR

A 996 C4S customer runs tires like these, made for high speed, but they're so soft he only gets one season per set anyways. He easily hits 240kph at Mosport.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 22 2019, 08:10 AM
Post #29

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

- MR

Bring them inside for the winter.
+Quote Post
mountainroads
post Feb 22 2019, 11:44 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 22 2019, 06:10 AM) *

- MR

Bring them inside for the winter.

Yes - that's a good point and a friend mentioned that as well. I guess I'm looking for "easier" options. Plus, there's the occasional sunny and dry midwinter day that makes me want to pull the car out of the garage and go for a spin.

- MR
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 23 2019, 04:20 PM
Post #31

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

So I went with Yokohama 205/55R 15's. Hard to tell in the picture but I think they look terrific. Once I get one on the car, next weekend, I will know better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sithot
post Feb 23 2019, 04:41 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 7,090

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 23 2019, 05:20 PM) *

So I went with Yokohama 205/55R 15's. Hard to tell in the picture but I think they look terrific. Once I get one on the car, next weekend, I will know better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Anxiously waiting for a picture!

+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 23 2019, 09:03 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 23 2019, 02:20 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Looks good, and with a nice round shoulder—for a modern tire—looks like. Wheel looks great, too.

The 205/55 on a lowered 914 reminds me quite a bit of the old Ginther cars in old pics...
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Feb 23 2019, 09:05 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 11,639

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 23 2019, 05:20 PM) *

Since I am going through this myself, and all the conflicting advice is making my head spin ...

Why did you choose the 55's versus the 60's which many suggest in the 205 series.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 24 2019, 08:40 AM
Post #35

Michael

I would have gone with a 60 if I could have found one that was not an all weather, light mini-van tire. I could have gone with an A008-type tire but all of those tires were rated as very high on road noise. I am going to drive my car- just not in the rain. I also did not want a race tire compound that picked up every pebble on the street. The S-drive Yokohama is highly rated, getting good marks across the board. Additionally, at $414 delivered, I figured even if they are not great, I could afford to run them until I found a better tire.

Also, a little bit of anxiety was present for fitment. I wanted to be sure they would fit on the rear- don't ever want to even come close to burning that Irish Green Kent sprayed and with the raised front spindles, though I do not believe we will have any issues, I just did not want to push the fitment by trying for a 215/60 or 215/55 tire.

I remember telling my wife I just bought tires for the Six for $414 delivered and she said, "What? Why are they so cheap?" Her Carrera tires are about $375 each. I told her they are really small compared to her car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 24 2019, 09:28 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Feb 23 2019, 07:05 PM) *

Since I am going through this myself, and all the conflicting advice is making my head spin ...

Why did you choose the 55's versus the 60's which many suggest in the 205 series.

Thanks.

^ Covered well above: 205/60 isn't available in Yokohama's S-Drive. I wish it was, but I'd be even happier if the A008P or R or R-TU made a return in 195/65R15 and 215/60R15.

As to all the conflicting info, I agree it's a hassle. So, some Cliff Notes:

If you want period looks and handling characteristics > 165R15 or 185/70 or 215/60 Pirelli CN36, Avon CR6ZZ, Michelin XWX or XZX, or Vredestein Sprint Classic. Roger Kraus Racing, Coker, Longstone, and others are good sources.

If you don't care about period looks and prefer performance, the S Drive in 205/55 is pretty attractive, as is the Dunlop Direzza in the same size. In 195/65R15, the P6000 N2 is one of the only, if not the only, summer tire, while the A048 in 205/60R15 is probably max performance (but not cheap, and can't deal with cold weather).

If you don't care about either, there are a lot of all-season tires out there in 195/65R15 that are cheap and will still outperform what these cars came with as well as many of the "period" tires on offer right now.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 25 2019, 08:38 AM
Post #37

Michael

This was harder than I thought it would be. Though I want the car to appear as original as is reasonable and possible in 2019, I also plan to drive the car and therefore wanted to put a tire on that was a reasonably good compromise.

With the 3.2, the car will have a bit of torque and I just thought when I pressed on the skinny pedal, the stock-sized tires would just spin. I actually had a 3.0 with CIS in my last Six with deep sixes and size appropriate tires for the 6" rim and they spun every time I accelerated harder than normal. So I wanted to put a bit more rubber on the ground w/o being really obvious. That is why I had the deep sixes widened 1" and went with a bit wider footprint. Between that and the newer tire compounds, I hope that makes the car more drivable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:14 AM