Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hoosier TD-R sizes
twin356
post Feb 20 2019, 09:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,471

I will be rolling out my 914-6 2.0 vintage car this spring. Looking to understand what size rear tires to run on 8" rims. I basically geared for 24", as that is size of most 225/50/15 radials. However, in vintage (SVRA/VRG) is preferred. So, run the 24x8.5-15, or the 25x8.5-15.
What is being run by others?
Thanks
Scott
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Racer
post Feb 20 2019, 09:10 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

While I don't know what is preferred, perhaps some of the choice is dictated by the circuit run?Since this is effectively a gearing change, you might want different sizes for different tracks, unless you are also able to swap boxes/gearsets for the tracks you run.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Feb 20 2019, 10:08 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Scott, check the regs of the groups you're running with. I run with HRG (HRG3) and VRG (DPh) up here in the northeast, and they require DOT-rated tires. Are TD-R DOT-rated? I don't think so, as all DOT-rated tires use the standard size nomenclature of XXX/YY-ZZ

I run 100TW Nitto NT-01, 205/50-15 all four corners. VRG doesn't "like" those, but it meets their reg requirements.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Feb 20 2019, 10:30 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Just did a quick check on Hoosier's site. As best I can tell...

- TD is bias-ply and not DOT-approved.
- TD-R is bias-ply and not DOT-approved.
- TD-S is bias-ply and not DOT-approved and has been renamed HOTD-R.
- The new DOT-approved radial vintage tire is called the Speedster.
- VRG specifically allows the TD and Speedster.
- Speedster is available in 205/50-15 and 225/50-15.

If you're stuck on Hoosier, Speedsters is probably the way to go.

Then again, it's historic racing, and at ~$225/tire your tire budget will be "interesting." I paid like $800 shipped for 6 tires, and ran just four of them for 6 events in 218. The otehr two are still on the tire rack in the trailer, and the four on the car aren't showing significant wear...

And this is coming from a guy that is supported by Hoosier for my main Super Touring efforts...
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Feb 20 2019, 12:04 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,318

Hi Scott...I've been racing with SVRA/VDCA/VRG/HSR for the past year and am on the Hoosier's with Kermee--2.7/6 weighing 1950#, 215rwhp and stock gearing. I'm on TDR's, 23x7.5 15 front and 24x8.5 15 rear. The car likes that setup as it's faster than the driver....Lap times at Summit Point are 1:28's mostly, one or two at 1:26 & change. Curiously, at VIR & Watkins Glen the lap times are almost identical at around 2:20 with a few at VIR at 2:18 or 2:17& change, Road Atlanta at 1:45's....
If you're any lower on power, don't go with the 25 diameter as you'll be better geared with a stock box on the 24's.....I can just barely hit my rev limiter (conservatively set at 7400) at Daytona crossing the tri-oval at about 153mph...
The Hoosiers start out at 17psi cold, finish at 22psi hot in a 30 minute session and start to fall off after 16-18 heat cycles with my level of talent.
If you're considering radials, the groups may "frown" on them unless they've got full tread--you might get by with Toyo RA1's shaved to 4/16's--I really liked them when doing DE events but am drinking the koolade with the racing groups and using Hoosiers.
+Quote Post
twin356
post Feb 20 2019, 06:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,471

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Feb 20 2019, 10:04 AM) *

Hi Scott...I've been racing with SVRA/VDCA/VRG/HSR for the past year and am on the Hoosier's with Kermee--2.7/6 weighing 1950#, 215rwhp and stock gearing. I'm on TDR's, 23x7.5 15 front and 24x8.5 15 rear. The car likes that setup as it's faster than the driver....Lap times at Summit Point are 1:28's mostly, one or two at 1:26 & change. Curiously, at VIR & Watkins Glen the lap times are almost identical at around 2:20 with a few at VIR at 2:18 or 2:17& change, Road Atlanta at 1:45's....
If you're any lower on power, don't go with the 25 diameter as you'll be better geared with a stock box on the 24's.....I can just barely hit my rev limiter (conservatively set at 7400) at Daytona crossing the tri-oval at about 153mph...
The Hoosiers start out at 17psi cold, finish at 22psi hot in a 30 minute session and start to fall off after 16-18 heat cycles with my level of talent.
If you're considering radials, the groups may "frown" on them unless they've got full tread--you might get by with Toyo RA1's shaved to 4/16's--I really liked them when doing DE events but am drinking the koolade with the racing groups and using Hoosiers.

Thanks for feedback. I geared car, for 24" (A,GQ,KA,Q,U). I will start with the 24's.
Power should be good. full blown 906 build. I use to race 356's , go out of Porsches for a number of years. Now ready to start again.
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Feb 20 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 10,318

QUOTE(twin356 @ Feb 20 2019, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Feb 20 2019, 10:04 AM) *

Thanks for feedback. I geared car, for 24" (A,GQ,KA,Q,U). I will start with the 24's.
Power should be good. full blown 906 build. I use to race 356's , go out of Porsches for a number of years. Now ready to start again.

Oh yeah with that gearing you'll want the 24's for sure....looking forward to seeing you on the track....my next sessions are Zone 2 at VIR for shakedown then VDCA Wild Hare run...
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Feb 21 2019, 08:12 AM
Post #8

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I'm in the same situation now as well, looking into vintage track and streetable (DOT-R) tires in 15". I normally run 245 in back though on 9's and that is proving to be tough to find. I'm thinking I may need to drop back to 225/50 all around and I do have 8's as well.

Anyone running or looking at the Michelin TB-5, and are there viable Goodyear or Avon options? I'm interested in radials only.

+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 21 2019, 10:17 AM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Local club finally outlawed my hoosier A7's
so last year I switched over to the treaded speedster
actually have 1 of the first 4 sets made in the country

a really nice tire
not much grip reduction from an A7
I'll see how they hold up into this 2nd season
but I'm pretty happy so far and spent a ton of time talking to the engineers at Hoosier (they were still in prototype when I placed to order)

its a radial, so obviously won't help Scott
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 05:41 PM