Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1984 Porsche 914 with Wrong Title - 26 bids
jagalyn
post Mar 5 2019, 07:12 PM
Post #1

True Patina

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,503
Region Association: None

1984 - 914 on Ebay with title that is not a 914... and 26 bids???? But 'Clean Title'.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Porsche-914/3...4gAAOSwpp1cfX2A

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Mar 5 2019, 07:14 PM
Post #2

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

Yeah, I just messaged the seller letting him know the title is incorrect for the 914.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
My 914
post Mar 5 2019, 07:38 PM
Post #3

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

It's an 84.
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Mar 5 2019, 07:58 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,876

He's also got a 924 listed. I think he just got the title pics mixed up.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.ebayimg.com-20876-1551837615.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Valy
post Mar 5 2019, 10:32 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

So one title has the wrong VIN (obviously 944).
And the 2nd title for a real 914 doesn't match the license plate on the car.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 6 2019, 09:10 AM
Post #6

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

No money shots to verify it's condition but that looks like a damn good deal sitting there. Wish it were closer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Dash is cracked, seats need reupholstering and someone modified the WW park position. Other than that it looks tight! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Mar 6 2019, 09:25 AM
Post #7

It's the kind of listing most people won't give a second look. Poor pictures, short description, possibly screwy paperwork. It's the kind of listing I love because of those short comings.

If I lived in the area, I'd be over at his place inspecting the cars and delving into the title status while everyone else is laughing at the seller. It may be a wild goose chase but has often been a very good use of my time.

+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Mar 6 2019, 10:00 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Mar 6 2019, 09:25 AM) *

It's the kind of listing most people won't give a second look. Poor pictures, short description, possibly screwy paperwork. It's the kind of listing I love because of those short comings.

If I lived in the area, I'd be over at his place inspecting the cars and delving into the title status while everyone else is laughing at the seller. It may be a wild goose chase but has often been a very good use of my time.

But there's a reserve. Chances are, because of the things you mentioned, it probably won't hit the reserve.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 6 2019, 10:49 AM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Mar 6 2019, 10:25 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) the good deals are often camouflaged.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 6 2019, 02:23 PM
Post #10

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Hmmm...

A 74 914 listed as an 84 with plates that don't match the 84 nor 74 titles, a 79 924 listed with the 74 914's title & no plates visible anywhere, & an 84 title for a possible 3rd car 944 nowhere in sight.

Now that's one big cluster f**k! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Someone above & maybe others have PMed to him, & I did again, but I went the step further to report both ads to evil-bay that the vehicles are misrepresented by VINs, titles & plates.

It could be a scam, a case of too hurried or drunk, a case of having old cars in storage & not getting the right plates & paperwork with the correct car.

Either way, the seller needs to clean up his mess before anyone can possibly buy & register either one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Maybe if we have a SD member on here willing to help him figure things out, you may be able to help someone or confirm a scam/problem, & also get back to the Forum to clear up what's really going on. Think of it as your good deed for the month! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Also, I'm not sure that he's got a reasonable idea of value for the reserve price. There are no rear badges for either 1.8 or 2.0, but I'd think that the current $3995 bid of 39 bids should have hit the reserve for a 1.8 in that poor condition with the work required to get it usable as even a DD. If a 2.0 then maybe it's a bit higher still (it has the center console, but that can be added or an option on a 1.8).

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Mar 6 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 18,986

QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 5 2019, 10:32 PM) *

914 title was issued 18 yrs ago. Plates change with time I would imagine
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 6 2019, 02:52 PM
Post #12

TMI....

QUOTE(jmitro @ Mar 6 2019, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Mar 5 2019, 10:32 PM) *

914 title was issued 18 yrs ago. Plates change with time I would imagine

Not in CA - same plate until title & registration is changed. We don't change as the plate designs do, as do some other stated like OK.

Whomever buys these cars - even assuming the correct title gets with the proper car - will have a mell of hess to clean up with our disfunctional DMV! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

And there may be huge fines & penalties due too - if the seller doesn't have them up to date on Non-Ops! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Mar 6 2019, 03:26 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

If the title VIN matches the VIN on the car you can always just throw the plates away and DMV will issue new ones, doesn’t seem like that big of a deal
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 6 2019, 03:51 PM
Post #14

TMI....

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 6 2019, 01:26 PM) *

If the title VIN matches the VIN on the car you can always just throw the plates away and DMV will issue new ones, doesn’t seem like that big of a deal

My point was that there could be title issues if there is a mismatch, & nothing with CA DMV is easy!

You generally need to turn in the old plates to DMV to get new ones - unless there are none on the car - so you can't just throw away old plates & hope that they'll issue new ones. I've been through this DMV dance before, as have many friends, & they can be complete a-holes!

Also, if it's not kept registered or on Non-Op, then you can get stuck for $1000s fo fines & penalties - on top of your sales tax, transfer & title/registration fees.

So yes it can be a big deal.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Mar 6 2019, 04:16 PM
Post #15

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Can't speak for CA but in Nevada the vehicle can be registered to someone other than the title owner. Would explain the plate change.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Mar 6 2019, 04:22 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 6 2019, 04:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 6 2019, 01:26 PM) *

My point was that there could be title issues if there is a mismatch, & nothing with CA DMV is easy!

You generally need to turn in the old plates to DMV to get new ones - unless there are none on the car - so you can't just throw away old plates & hope that they'll issue new ones. I've been through this DMV dance before, as have many friends, & they can be complete a-holes!

Also, if it's not kept registered or on Non-Op, then you can get stuck for $1000s fo fines & penalties - on top of your sales tax, transfer & title/registration fees.

So yes it can be a big deal.

If everything is wrong then of course it’s a big deal, but it is conjecture That everything is wrong. May well be the case, they well not be the case.

You have, apparently, had bad luck who has helped you at DMV. I’ve personally found them helpful, and if you use AAA the whole thing borders on being a good experience. The rules are what the rules are-if you know them it’s not especially difficult to navigate the system.

There are also approaches to dealing with back fees on cars of this vintage in California.

Edit: if the plates on the car are not the ones associated with the car they’re going to issue new ones anyway, so don’t see why that’s a showstopper.

Not trying to give you a hard time Tom, I just had different experiences and while the points you raise or important to be aware of its conjecture.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 6 2019, 04:58 PM
Post #17

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 6 2019, 01:51 PM) *

If it hasn't been registered or non-op'ed in long enough, it falls out of the system, and there are no extra penalties. Sadly, I don't remember how long it takes for that to happen.

--DD
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Mar 6 2019, 05:29 PM
Post #18

Me thinks those that describe lots of potential problems with these cars...may be the ones most interested in them? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 6 2019, 05:36 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 6 2019, 05:58 PM) *

If it hasn't been registered or non-op'ed in long enough, it falls out of the system, and there are no extra penalties. Sadly, I don't remember how long it takes for that to happen.

--DD

It sounds like that is a California problem. Doesn’t seem to be an issue with most other states. I find it’s cheaper to buy CA cars and ship than to do the metalwork on east coast cars. I’ve given my title company some funky looking titles with obviously wrong info and they just say whatever, we see it all the time and then a couple weeks later, I get the new title in the mail. They charge me a couple dollars to process over what it cost me to do myself. Money well spent.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wes
post Mar 6 2019, 05:51 PM
Post #20

wes

Member No.: 8,436

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 6 2019, 02:58 PM) *

--DD

The license doesn’t match the title versus the plates in the photo and Ca. License year sticker appears to be orange. The orange Ca year stickers are 2003, 08, 13, 18. I’m betting this is an older person trying to sell off unused vehicles as no longer in use due to the sellers age and just maybe a bit of old age senility. Just of course a old man gussying.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 12:58 PM