Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1984 Porsche 914 with Wrong Title - 26 bids
sb914
post Mar 6 2019, 05:58 PM
Post #21

Surf Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Valy
post Mar 6 2019, 06:28 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(wes @ Mar 6 2019, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 6 2019, 02:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 6 2019, 01:51 PM) *

Also, if it's not kept registered or on Non-Op, then you can get stuck for $1000s fo fines & penalties - on top of your sales tax, transfer & title/registration fees.

If it hasn't been registered or non-op'ed in long enough, it falls out of the system, and there are no extra penalties. Sadly, I don't remember how long it takes for that to happen.

--DD

The license doesn’t match the title versus the plates in the photo and Ca. License year sticker appears to be orange. The orange Ca year stickers are 2003, 08, 13, 18. I’m betting this is an older person trying to sell off unused vehicles as no longer in use due to the sellers age and just maybe a bit of old age senility. Just of course a old man gussying.

Good catch here @wes
The other license plate sticker says MAY so the 914 title doesn't belong to this car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 6 2019, 07:17 PM
Post #23

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 6 2019, 02:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 6 2019, 01:51 PM) *

Also, if it's not kept registered or on Non-Op, then you can get stuck for $1000s fo fines & penalties - on top of your sales tax, transfer & title/registration fees.

If it hasn't been registered or non-op'ed in long enough, it falls out of the system, and there are no extra penalties. Sadly, I don't remember how long it takes for that to happen.

--DD

The magic number is 7 years Dave, then it usually drops off the CA-DMV system.

I found that out when trying to get to the microfilm records back to the OO who I bought my 73 2L from back in 1975 using the DMV's Info Request form/process, but my Non-Op had lapsed in `92, so they had no records anymore.

Back in 1992 DMV Sacto HQ gave me 2 bad choices for being a week late (renewal date was 12/26 & they never mailed the `92 notice) - new plates & some high additional fees, or huge penalties to keep my original blue/yellow plates. Since it's not been driveable since 1985, I've just stored it in my garage since then, & will tackle the DMV at the point when it's restored/repaired & ready to put back on the road.

Currently DMV does have the regs to charge the penalties plus interest for non-registered cars, & some folks have been able to get around them - including taking the car out of state to re-register, then "importing" it back into CA, but that requires that you have a clean & correct title.

Because I have all of my prior reg cards 1975-92, the original plates that match the reg & title, & the car has been in my possession from 12/26/7 to present & stored off-street - I possibly have a good chance of getting my registration restarted with my original plates - but who knows at what cost! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
It certainly won't be the few dollars that Mark E. is used to paying!

This seller appears to have a set of mismatched titles, plates, month stickers, etc. which won't be an easy fix for a buyer taking the car on faith.

DMV tends to change their policy as the state's tax needs change - with heavy penalties added when they're hungry, & waivers when they're trying to rope in unlicensed owners under their occasional amnesty programs.

So I'm in a similar position as this seller - but I'll be keeping mine, not selling like this guy is doing. The seller will be best served to get his own title & registration issues cleared up prior to selling, then he can do a clean & clear title transfer as required by CA law - no matter which state the buyer is in. If not, the buyer has recourse, & the seller can be criminally charged - even if he's an old guy.

And watch that senile old guy commentary Wes - as I resemble that remark! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And for Steinkamp & others thinking along his lines - NO I'm not a prospective buyer of yet more problems of yet another 914 that needs a lot of TLC!

I'm providing my cautions to those who may want to buy it, since it keeps coming up on new topics 3-4+/- times already.

At best there are paperwork & plate issues to be resolved - while at worst it could be a scam or selling a stolen car, etc.

So I'm suggesting that anyone interested in buying the car - even if you live in NV or PA/DE where apparently they don't check the national DVM registry & register any old thing - exercise caution in any prospective purchase.

Also give the crap quality of the few pix - ask for more pix or better yet, go inspect the car.

I'd hate to see this become another horror story of what went wrong with yet another sight unseen evil-bay purchase of a problem 914, that we see posted on 914world every so often.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
wes
post Mar 6 2019, 09:46 PM
Post #24

wes

Member No.: 8,436

Sorry Tom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) didn’t know anyone older than me was here! I’ve forgotten way I’m in the bathroom! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 6 2019, 10:12 PM
Post #25

TMI....

QUOTE(wes @ Mar 6 2019, 07:46 PM) *

Sorry Tom (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) didn’t know anyone older than me was here! I’ve forgotten way I’m in the bathroom! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

No Wes -

I don't think that I'm older than you, but I do suffer the half-zymers scourge! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I WISH I could forget my way to the bathroom sometimes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

And then there's that ole "Geesh, I used to be able to lift that, or do that, or get under there, or bend over, etc., etc. easily" BS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

No apologies needed, as I was just (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) you!

Cheers to we in the "Old Farts Club"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Mar 6 2019, 10:44 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 20,876
Region Association: None

One of the great things about this forum. A real mix of enthusiasts. There's us old folks (I'm 71), lots of much younger fanatics. Those that want a purely bone stock car, a good driver, one modified appropriately, and outlaws like me with V8 power. All different views, opinions, needs, and everyone with something to contribute. And all get along (sometimes grudgingly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ).

This is not true of other car sites I frequent. Maybe not true of most. Congrats 914World!
+Quote Post
MiniStevieG
post Mar 6 2019, 11:14 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 22,827
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just happened to notice this as well when I was checking eBay. Interesting.
+Quote Post
wes
post Mar 7 2019, 01:35 AM
Post #28

wes

Member No.: 8,436

I’ve often thought the 914 to be a newer years cheap sports car, certainly not the same but similar to the model A’S of the fifty’s and early 60’s. You can engineer an unbelievabl number of engines in for more power. How many oddball body configurations! They were cheep and easy to find. Now we’ve been introduced to a newer crowd that want a perfect all original like new Porsche 914.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 7 2019, 02:28 AM
Post #29

TMI....

QUOTE(wes @ Mar 6 2019, 11:35 PM) *

I’ve often thought the 914 to be a newer years cheap sports car, certainly not the same but similar to the model A’S of the fifty’s and early 60’s. You can engineer an unbelievabl number of engines in for more power. How many oddball body configurations! They were cheep and easy to find. Now we’ve been introduced to a newer crowd that want a perfect all original like new Porsche 914.

I've made the same comparison Wes, having helped my Uncle do a 32 rumble seat roadster into a Chevy Vette suspension & 327 FI street rod back in the `60's.

But of note - the Model A's were only 20-30 years old in the 1950s - 60s using an mid-point average 1930s-ish build date; while our 914s are now 45 - 50 years old & still going strong, even if a tad susceptible to the tin-worm!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 08:10 AM