Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Carbs with a FI cam
malcolm2
post Mar 11 2019, 08:30 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

So everyone has heard it. Carbs don’t mix well with a fuel injection cam. But what are the symptoms?

I have a spare 1.8 that should run. I want to put it in my 72 bus project. All i have for induction is the dual carbs that came with the bus.

I plan on cracking open the 1.7 that came with the bus, but i would like to drive ASAP.

So what should i expect on how the 1.8 engine runs with carbs?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Mar 11 2019, 08:38 PM
Post #2

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805
Region Association: Southwest Region

Idle problems cold or hot and bad flat spot on acceleration. If you are really good with carbs you can work those problems out somewhat. I went back to original FI and found that to be my best solution to fuel problems. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Mar 11 2019, 11:03 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

I thought someone checked the cam part number for the European carbed cars and found it was the same as the US injected cars?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 12 2019, 05:54 AM
Post #4

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Mar 12 2019, 12:03 AM) *

I thought someone checked the cam part number for the European carbed cars and found it was the same as the US injected cars?

Yes, it is the same cam in both. But the Euro 1.8 had a pair of 1barrell bus carbs on it, and they never really worked well, even from the factory.

+Quote Post
BK911
post Mar 12 2019, 06:23 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,674
Region Association: None

Carbs work fine with the FI cams.
Running a stock 1.7 with dual empis for over 10 years now.
And a 009 dizzy!!
Vroom vroom!!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 12 2019, 07:26 AM
Post #6

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Works fine, bay window busses were carbed till '75-'76 in NA. Mileage won't be as good as FI, but unless it's a DD this might not be much of a issue.

QUOTE(BK911 @ Mar 12 2019, 08:23 AM) *

Carbs work fine with the FI cams.
Running a stock 1.7 with dual empis for over 10 years now.
And a 009 dizzy!!
Vroom vroom!!

I did an econo stock 1.8 DTM T4 conversion into a bug several years ago, the guy wanted a bigger engine but didn't have the coin. I told him this would get him rolling till he saved the benjamins for a big build, and the 1.8 still had 30hp over a stock T1.
I see him every year at the local show, I asked last year if he was ever going to do a big engine, he said, "Naw...the bug runs too good to mess with it."
+Quote Post
jdamiano
post Mar 12 2019, 07:44 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,981

I purchased my 2.0 with a Redline Weber 40 kit already installed with a 009 distributor. Ran OK. Stock cam. When I replaced the distributor with the Petronix it started running great. I think the curve on the Petronix is something between a 009 and a 050.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Mar 12 2019, 08:46 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It would be a cool project, 1.8 with Ljet in your bus. You should do it, unless the Ljet scares you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
tejon007
post Mar 12 2019, 10:37 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,344
Region Association: None

Many years ago, about 30+...put a 1.7 from a 1971 914 into our 1972 Westfalia bus which originally had a 1.7. It helped her get up the hills a little better. Stock cam, Weber progressive and a 009 distributor. More torque and HP than the stock bus motor.

IIRC, the flywheel/clutch is a little smaller on the bus and you'll need to check/fill the oil via the top cover inside the bus. Don't think the bus case would be a good option job for the 914, as the oil filler & dipstick location isn't good...but, you can block it off at the case and drill for a relocated dipstick.

+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Mar 12 2019, 10:42 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Mar 12 2019, 08:46 AM) *

It would be a cool project, 1.8 with Ljet in your bus. You should do it, unless the Ljet scares you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

no way. I think I would prefer L-Jet. I think I have it figured out well enough to be dangerous.... But it has been so long that I have had to mess with it, I'll have to call this guy I know if something happens. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I am still hoping for a pay-it-forward L-Jet complete system donation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)

I have rebuilt the Holley on my boat and replaced the $14 carb on my Briggs and Stratton. I should be ok with 45 year old dual carbs that haven't been used for 15 years.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Mar 12 2019, 10:51 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tejon007 @ Mar 12 2019, 10:37 AM) *

IIRC, the flywheel/clutch is a little smaller on the bus and you'll need to check/fill the oil via the top cover inside the bus.

Yeah, the 72 bus does not have the hatch in the rear shelf. I have been planning on cutting that out. Gotta find someone that will cut one out of a JY 73+ bus.

Dip stick might be tricky. But my Accord uses a wire cable for a dip stick. Something like that may have to be fabbed up.

another difference in the TIV 914 vs the TIV bus is the fuel pump. bus uses mechanical. So I'll be converting to low pressure electric. Not planning on cracking open the spare 1.8.

If everything works out, using the 1.8 will be temporary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Mar 12 2019, 01:12 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Mar 12 2019, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Mar 12 2019, 08:46 AM) *

no way. I think I would prefer L-Jet. I think I have it figured out well enough to be dangerous.... But it has been so long that I have had to mess with it, I'll have to call this guy I know if something happens. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I am still hoping for a pay-it-forward L-Jet complete system donation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)

I have rebuilt the Holley on my boat and replaced the $14 carb on my Briggs and Stratton. I should be ok with 45 year old dual carbs that haven't been used for 15 years.

It's like riding a bicycle. What parts are you missing for a running Ljet?

Consider dumping the carbs on your boat and lawnmower, Ljet everything! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Mar 13 2019, 01:58 AM
Post #13

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611

L jets are great to carb. The barn door is an aspirated system, so are carbs.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 13 2019, 11:32 AM
Post #14

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

It'll run ok with carbs if you can get them tuned in correctly, but you'll be leaving power and torque on the table.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Mar 13 2019, 11:38 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 12 2019, 05:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Mar 12 2019, 12:03 AM) *

Yes, it is the same cam in both. But the Euro 1.8 had a pair of 1barrell bus carbs on it, and they never really worked well, even from the factory.

I suppose that is what I am going to get myself into. I’ll have to take another look at the carbs from the bus.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:45 PM