Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake caliper rebuild on '76
Gatornapper
post Mar 17 2019, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

914 geniuses...

Wow, been over a year I think since I last posted here. Been totally tied up on other projects but now the 914 is front and center. 1/2 done rebuilding the Webbers, and before I go any further I need to rebuild the rear brake calipers.

Can't find any caliper rebuild kits on Pelican.....any other source? I guess Suncoast Porsche might have them......

TIA,

GN

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 17 2019, 07:28 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 17 2019, 07:10 PM) *

914 geniuses...

Wow, been over a year I think since I last posted here. Been totally tied up on other projects but now the 914 is front and center. 1/2 done rebuilding the Webbers, and before I go any further I need to rebuild the rear brake calipers.

Can't find any caliper rebuild kits on Pelican.....any other source? I guess Suncoast Porsche might have them......

TIA,

GN

PMB Performance. They also have a very nice how-to video on youtube.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 17 2019, 07:51 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 17 2019, 09:28 PM) *

914 geniuses...

TIA,

GN

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Mar 17 2019, 07:59 PM
Post #4

BBrock & MEPstein -

Thanks guys! That was quick! Will do tomorrow......

GN

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 17 2019, 07:28 PM) *

914 geniuses...

TIA,

GN

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 17 2019, 08:07 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

If you can’t find what you need on their site, just give them a ring. There good guys and support our cars.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 17 2019, 09:28 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Not sure if you need for a four or six but about 3/4 of the way down on this page.http://www.pmbperformance.com/914brake.html
+Quote Post
walterolin
post Mar 17 2019, 10:11 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,838

And having rebuilt my own (successfully), I would suggest that you go ahead and let Eric do them. Considering the cost of parts and supplies, and your time, his charge is a good deal.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Mar 18 2019, 09:14 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(walterolin @ Mar 17 2019, 10:11 PM) *

And having rebuilt my own (successfully), I would suggest that you go ahead and let Eric do them. Considering the cost of parts and supplies, and your time, his charge is a good deal.

Walter......

Hmmm, thanks for the tip....been rebuilding calipers for years and not a big deal....as I'm retired (and often tired) my time is cheap, and usually do one in less than an hour.

Seems shipping costs would make it too expensive, but I have a call into Eric now - left msg.

Thanks!

GN
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 18 2019, 09:43 AM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 18 2019, 11:14 AM) *

Walter......

Hmmm, thanks for the tip....been rebuilding calipers for years and not a big deal....as I'm retired (and often tired) my time is cheap, and usually do one in less than an hour.

Seems shipping costs would make it too expensive, but I have a call into Eric now - left msg.

Thanks!

GN

As Eric explained, It's the plating in the piston bore that is important to restore. Eric ships USPS priority flat rate so shipping is very reasonable.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 18 2019, 10:17 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 18 2019, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 18 2019, 11:14 AM) *

Walter......

Thanks!

GN

As Eric explained, It's the plating in the piston bore that is important to restore. Eric ships USPS priority flat rate so shipping is very reasonable.

Yep, they'll fit in a medium flat rate box so not too bad.

I've rather enjoyed doing mine myself though. Hoping to send the caliper halves off for plating this week, but most of the work is in the disassembly and cleaning. I wanted to plate them myself but the power supply I have wasn't up to the task. I find doing projects like this the adult equivalent of building model planes when I was a kid. Sure, it's work, but fun also.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 18 2019, 04:14 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

The caliper rebuild kits are commonly available, years ago we had to find the kits and put them together, but now centric brake makes them complete. Easy to rebuild yourself if you do not mind getting the halves cad plated.

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 17 2019, 06:10 PM) *

914 geniuses...

TIA,

GN
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:39 PM