Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> URO hand brake handle, an unbiased review
bbrock
post Mar 18 2019, 10:55 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

A while back, I posted a question about hand brake handle options on the O&H forum, specifically about the originality of finishes. URO reached out to me and offered to send one of their handles for an honest review. I had already purchased a replacement Genuine Porsche handle so thought it would be good to do a head to head comparison. Other than receiving the complimentary URO handle, I have no connection with either manufacturer.

Both handles appear to be well made and let's be honest, it's a plastic handle so what could go wrong? There are two main differences. The first is the obvious one which is a difference in finishes. The Porsche handle has a textured matte finish that appeals to me but is not original. The URO handle has a gloss finish that matches the original. Unfortunately, I destroyed my scratched up original getting it off the lever so couldn't include it in the comparison.

Attached Image

The second difference is that URO grip fits more loosely on the lever than the Porsche grip. They both fit fine but the URO grip would require glue to hold it in place like the original handle had, where the new Porsche handles have a snug press fit that will hold without glue.

Price is almost the same between the two. The choice comes down to which look you prefer and whether you care if the handle is glued on. Again, the originals were glued on very tightly. They both look great.

URO handle:

Attached Image Attached Image

Genuine Porsche handle:

Attached Image Attached Image

They sent a few other items I wasn't expecting and I'll post reviews on those as time allows.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 18 2019, 01:08 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have to say the ERO, one looks more like the OG handle that came on the cars....hope it holds up..
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Mar 18 2019, 01:17 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

The Porsche handle is meant to be used with later 911 brake lever. Some more of the one size fits all mentality. URO appears to be on the money.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 18 2019, 02:50 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Oh I have been looking for this exact thing.. Where do I buy one?
+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Mar 18 2019, 03:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 19,288
Region Association: None

Looks great bbrock! The factory used epoxy to attach the original handle, installation of ours is the same.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 18 2019, 01:50 PM) *

Oh I have been looking for this exact thing.. Where do I buy one?

Auto Atlanta probably has them, no doubt George will chime in with a direct link. Just need to make sure you get the URO version of part number 901 424 521 01, anything else will be a textured one.

EDIT: Here's the link to the smooth brake handle: http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Hand-Br...0142452101.html
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Mar 18 2019, 04:10 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

We have sold a lot of the URO part and it has always worked out great, and the appearance is more like the factory than the one now sold. PLUS it is much cheaper!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:10 PM