Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Startup, Crank-By-Hand
Chip
post Mar 19 2019, 10:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,986
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I'm ready to crank the engine over for the first time in 30 yrs. (Lots of stories like this.) We've invited the neighborhood. I've changed the fuel lines, filter, cleaned pump, oil drain, tank, new sending unit, screen, topped off cylinders with MMO, cleaned plugs, etc. I'd like to turn the engine by hand, but don't know where to begin.

Any help, as I am alone and have no reference, alliance, resources or sanity.
Thanks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Mar 19 2019, 10:51 AM
Post #2

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you can get two hands on the impeller, you can use that to turn it by hand. Be careful not to put pressure on the blades themselves. If it doesn't budge that way, you can put the car in 5th gear, raise ONE rear wheel (keep the other on the ground and stationary), and use the one raised wheel to turn the engine. If THAT doesn't work, you may have to rock the car back and forth with it in gear for a while.

If you put MMO in there, be prepared for a nice white/grey smoke once it does fire up. The neighbors will love you. Ask me how I know.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
Chip
post Mar 19 2019, 11:09 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 19 2019, 10:51 AM) *

If you can get two hands on the impeller, you can use that to turn it by hand. Be careful not to put pressure on the blades themselves. If it doesn't budge that way, you can put the car in 5th gear, raise ONE rear wheel (keep the other on the ground and stationary), and use the one raised wheel to turn the engine. If THAT doesn't work, you may have to rock the car back and forth with it in gear for a while.

If you put MMO in there, be prepared for a nice white/grey smoke once it does fire up. The neighbors will love you. Ask me how I know.

Good luck.

Thanks, Rob!
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 19 2019, 11:13 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Good Luck ...1.25 hours away,,, Tooele
+Quote Post
Rider914
post Mar 19 2019, 11:20 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,923

I recently started a K5 blazer that was given to me and had sat for years. I put oil in the cylinders, let it soak, then cranked with the plugs still out but grounded so the spark would have a path other than through the distributor cap insulation. This sprays oil on the headers a bit but better than bending a rod if you used too much.
+Quote Post
Chip
post Mar 19 2019, 03:11 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Rider914 @ Mar 19 2019, 11:20 AM) *

I recently started a K5 blazer that was given to me and had sat for years. I put oil in the cylinders, let it soak, then cranked with the plugs still out but grounded so the spark would have a path other than through the distributor cap insulation. This sprays oil on the headers a bit but better than bending a rod if you used too much.

Great help! Thanks much.
Chip
+Quote Post
Chip
post Mar 19 2019, 03:13 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 19 2019, 11:13 AM) *

Good Luck ...1.25 hours away,,, Tooele

You must know Mike Phillips? Sure would like to meet you gentlemen.
Please inform me if there is a show, rally, flea market or similar.

Thanks,
Chip
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Mar 19 2019, 03:27 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

Chip,

I started a garage find last year after 40 years of storage. STRONGLY recommend miracle oil in each cylinder and cranking the beast without Fuel or Plugs for 30-40 seconds and then stop. Wait 5 minutes and then again. Perhaps 10+ cycles of this.

Get the oil pressure UP make it squeeze to the outer reaches

This will not guarantee a healthy engine, but should protect the engine somewhat.

Did I mention you should put some miracle oil in each cylinder........really,,,,,,do this.......

GOOD LUCK WITH THE TEENER!

QUOTE(Chip @ Mar 19 2019, 10:38 AM) *

I'm ready to crank the engine over for the first time in 30 yrs. (Lots of stories like this.) We've invited the neighborhood. I've changed the fuel lines, filter, cleaned pump, oil drain, tank, new sending unit, screen, topped off cylinders with MMO, cleaned plugs, etc. I'd like to turn the engine by hand, but don't know where to begin.

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 19 2019, 05:59 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Be prepared to find the clutch plate to be stuck to the flywheel after that length of time. Start in neutral. Be prepared to not be able to disengage the clutch to put in gear or take out of gear with the engine running.

Be prepared for the worst. Recommend starting it on jack stands.

If it isn’t stuck great. You’ll have gotten off easy
+Quote Post
Chip
post Mar 20 2019, 12:14 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Mar 19 2019, 03:27 PM) *

Chip,

I started a garage find last year after 40 years of storage. STRONGLY recommend miracle oil in each cylinder and cranking the beast without Fuel or Plugs for 30-40 seconds and then stop. Wait 5 minutes and then again. Perhaps 10+ cycles of this.

Get the oil pressure UP make it squeeze to the outer reaches

This will not guarantee a healthy engine, but should protect the engine somewhat.

Did I mention you should put some miracle oil in each cylinder........really,,,,,,do this.......

GOOD LUCK WITH THE TEENER!

Thanks so much. Tried to crank it today, but I don't think there is petrol getting to the engine. Fuel pump did not buzz upon turning key. The starter seemed ok, but no turnover. Need to check power to FP terminals, then see if pump is bad. I cleaned it out and hooked it up to a battery and it seemed ok. Can you provide a checklist for fuel, spark, etc? Thanks and thank you. !

QUOTE(Chip @ Mar 19 2019, 10:38 AM) *

+Quote Post
Chip
post Mar 20 2019, 12:17 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 19 2019, 05:59 PM) *

Be prepared to find the clutch plate to be stuck to the flywheel after that length of time. Start in neutral. Be prepared to not be able to disengage the clutch to put in gear or take out of gear with the engine running.

Be prepared for the worst. Recommend starting it on jack stands.

If it isn’t stuck great. You’ll have gotten off easy

Thanks. Car is on stands. No turnover yet. May be bad fuel pump. Need to check power to FP terminals. Fun to see the headlamps flip up and down, horn, turn signals, back-up lights, etc. Hope clutch is free.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:42 AM