Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would the welders look at this please
roblav1
post Mar 22 2019, 10:40 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've been using ER70-S6, with fair results on the rusted spots.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BPic
post Mar 22 2019, 11:37 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

New gas bottle and it's laying some nice welds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Gues is was just bad gas. Wife said I've had that before. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 22 2019, 12:41 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(BPic @ Mar 22 2019, 01:37 PM) *

New gas bottle and it's laying some nice welds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Gues is was just bad gas. Wife said I've had that before. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

Awesome news. It's baffling for sure and I've only had it ever happen once. Quality control is easy to say but hard to do day in and day out. I've wondered how it happens but honestly after you change the tank you just get back to the project.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Weld On!
+Quote Post
bretth
post Mar 22 2019, 01:01 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

I wonder if this can be caused by the last person that rented the welding tank leaving it open to the air for a period of time. I remember reading that you should leave at least 50lbs of pressure in the tank and not let it get completely empty to reduce chance of moisture inside.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Mar 22 2019, 06:57 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(BPic @ Mar 22 2019, 10:37 AM) *

Awesome!

When you wrote your were experiencing wire sticking to the tip it usually indicates other issues. Glad you got it handled.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Mar 22 2019, 06:58 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(bretth @ Mar 22 2019, 12:01 PM) *

I wonder if this can be caused by the last person that rented the welding tank leaving it open to the air for a period of time. I remember reading that you should leave at least 50lbs of pressure in the tank and not let it get completely empty to reduce chance of moisture inside.

Rusty tanks are common. Iron tends to plug orifices in the regulator.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Mar 22 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 22 2019, 08:33 AM) *

Still curious if OP's problem went away.

@Jeff Hail

Jeff, any advice on TIG'ing Galvanneal? I've tried grinding it back (both sides) but some of the zinc is actually annealed into the steel and can't be removed by grinding and still leads to electrode contamination and puddle pops.

Not an issue for MIG. At this point it's painfully slow with TIG but I'm surviving. However, the thought of going back to a MIG rig has crossed my mind several times now.

Best success I've had is by feeding as much filler as quickly as I can. I suspect it helps dilute the zinc in the puddle by getting fresh filler (ER70-S2) in there.

Apologize for thread high jack. I'll post fresh thread if I've offended anyone but this appears to have the attention of the welders among us.

I'm really not a Tig man. Foley would be my go to guy for Tig.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 22 2019, 07:32 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Mar 22 2019, 09:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 22 2019, 08:33 AM) *

Still curious if OP's problem went away.

@Jeff Hail

Jeff, any advice on TIG'ing Galvanneal? I've tried grinding it back (both sides) but some of the zinc is actually annealed into the steel and can't be removed by grinding and still leads to electrode contamination and puddle pops.

Not an issue for MIG. At this point it's painfully slow with TIG but I'm surviving. However, the thought of going back to a MIG rig has crossed my mind several times now.

Best success I've had is by feeding as much filler as quickly as I can. I suspect it helps dilute the zinc in the puddle by getting fresh filler (ER70-S2) in there.

Apologize for thread high jack. I'll post fresh thread if I've offended anyone but this appears to have the attention of the welders among us.

I'm really not a Tig man. Foley would be my go to guy for Tig.

I think Ben teaches tig.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sithot
post Mar 22 2019, 08:17 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 7,090
Region Association: None

I think Ben teaches tig.

Understatement. Yes, he teaches it alright. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 22 2019, 08:50 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yup teach TIG including stainless, aluminum, magnesium, titanium, 4130, and steels.

Also teach Smaw, MIG, flux core , print reading and fabrication and a division chair for the construction trades at our college for 18 years and worked in avaition prior to that. I am pretty versed in this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oh and owned multiple welding and fab business over the last 15 year's 1 being M&k exhaust and 1 being 914-6werkshop.com

Sorry just putting it out there for those that may not know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 22 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Oh and you welding galvaneel is a challenge it will pop back no matter what you do.. It is through galvanized so it can't be ground away .
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 22 2019, 08:59 PM
Post #32

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

I thought you might do ti. We will have to talk about that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post Mar 23 2019, 09:20 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 22,011
Region Association: South East States

I'm definitely no expert but I've heard that welding through galvanized or zinc coatings can give off dangerous fumes so be cautious.

Speaking of shielding gas though, I've caught myself holding the mig gun too far away or at a bad angle in order to get better view of the puddle which resulted in similar results to the OP's issue. Moving the gun more upright and keeping the tip around 3/8 from the work piece improved my results.

Glad to see the new bottle fixed the issue though.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 23 2019, 10:03 AM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 22 2019, 10:55 PM) *

Oh and you welding galvaneel is a challenge it will pop back no matter what you do.. It is through galvanized so it can't be ground away .

That's what I was afraid of based on nature of Galvanneal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I've also had some success improving the situation by using a 2Hz pulse which seems to minimize the pops.

I'll reach out to RD and Chris but as far as I can tell RD MIG's based on their videos.

I migrated to TIG for flexibility and my garage is too small and cluttered to have MIG sparks flying around. I'll keep making do but a MIG rig looks more and more appealing.

Thank for the advice guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 23 2019, 01:59 PM
Post #35

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 23 2019, 08:03 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 22 2019, 10:55 PM) *

That's what I was afraid of based on nature of Galvanneal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I've also had some success improving the situation by using a 2Hz pulse which seems to minimize the pops.

I'll reach out to RD and Chris but as far as I can tell RD MIG's based on their videos.

I migrated to TIG for flexibility and my garage is too small and cluttered to have MIG sparks flying around. I'll keep making do but a MIG rig looks more and more appealing.

Thank for the advice guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Sure because the. The heat is working in low amp/hi amp cycling.. That would help a bit.

Ps all should be wearing respirators like the Miller lpr-100 or equivalent to protect from fumes..
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:42 PM