Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stock 914 Fuel Injection Pulse Widths
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 22 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #1

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

I stumbled on this chart of pulse widths courtesy of Brad Anders...Hopefully it is a starting point for anyone tuning an aftermarket FI ECU who also use stock injectors and fuel pressure.

0.1ms resolution is necessary.

The charts give data for PW based on manifold vacuum and RPM.

Stock 914 FI pulse widths

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 22 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Thanks, Jeff. I'll compare it next time I'm tuning. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SLKWrx
post Jun 23 2005, 06:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,845
Region Association: North East States

I really wish I understood this stuff. Anyone have a page that helps explain how all this works?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jun 23 2005, 08:54 AM
Post #4

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (SLKWrx @ Jun 23 2005, 04:59 AM)
I really wish I understood this stuff. Anyone have a page that helps explain how all this works?

A web page, no, but an excellent introduction to how ALL electronic fuel injection systems work is Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management, Charles O. Probst, Bentley Publishers. He covers all of the major flavors of Bosch fuel injection, including those used on the 914 (D-Jet for most, L-Jet for the US 1.8). Highly recommended.

Very briefly, the pulsewidths are the length of time the injectors are held open. The injectors are simply valves, the injection is done by holding the fuel pressure on one side of the injector fairly high (usually about 2-3 Bar, or 30-45psi), and simply opening the valve into the intake manifold, where the pressure is relatively low (0.3-0.9 Bar). Holding the injectors open longer sprays in more fuel, thus enrichening the mixture. So, you can control mixture across a wide range by just changing the pulsewidth from short (lean) to long (rich).

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 23 2005, 09:02 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

this page explains it somewhat...you can ignore most of the math.....there is a little program on the page that allows you to plug in different variables and you can see the changes with different numbers...that might help

how Megasquirt works (basic EFI)
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jun 23 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey that'd be one of my MPS in the chart, forgot about that. Brad is a good guy, he came over with his testers n' stuff and fixed a couple things on my 2.0 car. that saved me a ton of time and in the end probably a ton of money.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jun 23 2005, 11:51 AM
Post #7

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Interesting bits of trivia here: the shortest pulsewidth is 2.3ms, which is longer than I've seen some settings shown here, even for smaller injectors. The longest duty cycle is 73%, which is well under the usual 80% ceiling noted for most injectors.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:39 AM