Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pedal cluster rebuild, God I just love roll pins. NOT!!
sholman5
post Mar 23 2019, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Kraut burner

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,391
Region Association: South East States

Went to replace my carpet and to my what did I see? A greasy, rusty pedal cluster. Decided to tackle this one myself with a little help from a friend. Disassembly was not bad at all. Even the roll pin came out easily with the help of an air chisel. Sand blasted all of the parts, etch primed and painted. I let everything dry for a week. Today started assembling everything. Used bronze bushings, but the greatist fun all day was replacing the roll pin. It took a few hours, but we wanted to take our time and get it right the first. Ended up using a press to insert it along with a drill bit (smooth end) inserted on the opposite side to keep everything aligned. In the end it was very gratifying to rebuild. Not as nice as a bstone piece , but it is clean and functional. Greatful for all of the threads in the Garage forum.
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Mar 23 2019, 06:22 PM
Post #2

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Nice job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif). Rebuilt pedal cluster and new throttle cable made a world of difference to me in terms of throttle response and overall control. It's definitely a worthwhile project.
+Quote Post
sithot
post Mar 23 2019, 08:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,090
Region Association: None

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 23 2019, 07:22 PM) *

Nice job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif). Rebuilt pedal cluster and new throttle cable made a world of difference to me in terms of throttle response and overall control. It's definitely a worthwhile project.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 23 2019, 09:41 PM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The roll pin that was supplied with the bronze bushing kits for many years was not up to the job in the long term. It would usually fail in pretty short order and the pedal would start heading toward the floorboard.

--DD
+Quote Post
sholman5
post Mar 24 2019, 04:39 AM
Post #5

Kraut burner

Member No.: 20,391
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 23 2019, 11:41 PM) *

The roll pin that was supplied with the bronze bushing kits for many years was not up to the job in the long term. It would usually fail in pretty short order and the pedal would start heading toward the floorboard.

--DD

What was the problem with the roll pin? The roll pin that we used was a very tight fit. Did they change the size of it or change the material in which it was made of ?
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Mar 24 2019, 04:49 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Isn't that fun, did mine last year. Best, MarkAttached Image
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 24 2019, 08:52 AM
Post #7

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

The trick to installing the roll pin is the bevel the end that gets inserted. I start them into the lower clutch armwith the shaft hole NOT aligned. Press until it stops. Align to the hole in the shaft. Use an engine tin cheesehead screw to keep the shaft and arm aligned. Using a vise press the roll oin in until it hits the screw. Remove the screw and press the screw in the rest of the way. A rear caliper pin works too for aligning the shaft and arm.

Anyone interested in a video of the rebuild and R & R of the pedal set?

@sholman5
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 24 2019, 08:58 AM
Post #8

bdstone914

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 23 2019, 08:41 PM) *

--DD

I have yet to see a failed roll pin after rebuilding hundres of pedal sets. I have even seen sets with a soft grade 1/4 inch bolt used for a roll pin and it did not fail. I have seen shafts crack at the roll pin hole.

@Dave_Darling
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 24 2019, 09:01 AM
Post #9

bdstone914

QUOTE(sholman5 @ Mar 24 2019, 03:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 23 2019, 11:41 PM) *

--DD

What was the problem with the roll pin? The roll pin that we used was a very tight fit. Did they change the size of it or change the material in which it was made of ?

The roll pins in the kit are larger than the hole and need a bevel to be easily inserted.
Bruce
+Quote Post
restore2seater
post Mar 24 2019, 10:06 AM
Post #10

Future 914 copilot.

Member No.: 3,037

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 24 2019, 09:52 AM) *

If your willing to make one I would like to see one Bruce. I can think of no one better to demonstrate the procedure. Would make a good addition to the classics forum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

@bdstone914
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 24 2019, 04:40 PM
Post #11

bdstone914

QUOTE(restore2seater @ Mar 24 2019, 09:06 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 24 2019, 09:52 AM) *

If your willing to make one I would like to see one Bruce. I can think of no one better to demonstrate the procedure. Would make a good addition to the classics forum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

@bdstone914

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Mar 24 2019, 05:45 PM
Post #12

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Ever tried freezing the pin over night? Will it make much difference?
+Quote Post
lierofox
post Mar 24 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 18,880
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Mar 24 2019, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 23 2019, 08:41 PM) *

--DD

I have yet to see a failed roll pin after rebuilding hundres of pedal sets. I have even seen sets with a soft grade 1/4 inch bolt used for a roll pin and it did not fail. I have seen shafts crack at the roll pin hole.

@Dave_Darling

The one on mine snapped apart into 3 separate pieces, sheared straight through it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1553471579.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1553471580.2.jpg)

I ended up doing the bolt method instead since it sheared just as I was starting my car and would have left me stranded at work with no other way to drive home. Thankfully work stocks a large supply of Grade 8 1/4" bolts.

To its credit though, I'm using a fairly heavy pressure plate from KEP's clutch/adapter kits.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 25 2019, 07:39 AM
Post #14

bdstone914

QUOTE(URY914 @ Mar 24 2019, 04:45 PM) *

Ever tried freezing the pin over night? Will it make much difference?

They need a leading edge bevel. See the pic i posted.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 25 2019, 07:44 AM
Post #15

bdstone914

@Dave_Darling
[/quote]

The one on mine snapped apart into 3 separate pieces, sheared straight through it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1553471579.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1553471580.2.jpg)

I ended up doing the bolt method instead since it sheared just as I was starting my car and would have left me stranded at work with no other way to drive home. Thankfully work stocks a large supply of Grade 8 1/4" bolts.

To its credit though, I'm using a fairly heavy pressure plate from KEP's clutch/adapter kits.
[/quote]

That roll pin does not look stock to me. Not enough coils.
Do you still have the broken pin? See if you can file it to test hardness.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 25 2019, 08:00 AM
Post #16

bdstone914

[quote name='bdstone914' date='Mar 25 2019, 06:44 AM' post='2699751']

@Dave_Darling
[/quote]

[/quote]

That type of failure could also be caused by a loose fittment of the shaft to the arm. I sort through arms and shafts to get the tightest combo to reduce the shear on the pin.
[/quote]
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 25 2019, 09:05 AM
Post #17

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

The Weltmeister kits used to ship with pins that were not even a full spiral. They were notorious for failing. To the point where the first question we used to ask when someone had a loose clutch pedal was, "Did you just change the pedal bushings?"

I see spiral pins in Bruce's post and in Lierofox's post. Those are not notorious for failing.

I don't know if WM finally figured out they needed a better pin, or if WM kits are even the ones being used above.

--DD
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 25 2019, 02:25 PM
Post #18

bdstone914

[quote name='bdstone914' date='Mar 25 2019, 06:44 AM' post='2699751']

@Dave_Darling
[/quote]

[/quote]

That type of failure could also be caused by a loose fittment of the shaft to the arm. I sort through arms and shafts to get the tightest combo to reduce the shear on the pin.
[/quote]
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Mar 25 2019, 10:13 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 25 2019, 07:05 AM) *

The Weltmeister kits used to ship with pins that were not even a full spiral. They were notorious for failing. To the point where the first question we used to ask when someone had a loose clutch pedal was, "Did you just change the pedal bushings?"

I see spiral pins in Bruce's post and in Lierofox's post. Those are not notorious for failing.

I don't know if WM finally figured out they needed a better pin, or if WM kits are even the ones being used above.

--DD

This was our experience too.
We kept OE roll pins in stock and taped a new OE pin to each Weltmeister bushing kit we stocked.

Jim
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:48 PM