Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2nd gear worn?, ...or is clutch on its way out
troth
post Mar 25 2019, 07:36 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,305
Region Association: None

Under hard acceleration, trying to beat traffic or pulling onto the highway, I get to about 3.5k rpm and then it feels almost like the car popped into neutral for a split second. The revs shoot up to red line and no power is going to the wheels. To the best of my memory this has only happened in 2nd gear. All my shift bushings are newish and I’ve had no other shifting problems beside this. No detectable clutch smell.

I’ve had this happen maybe 3 or 4 times over the past few hundred miles.

Could this be the clutch slipping and on its way out or is second gear getting worn? Last time I replaced the tranny fluid there was a good amount of metal shavings, but nothing too concerning. There’s plenty of slack in the clutch cable.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Mar 25 2019, 07:51 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Sounds like the clutch is slipping. Try the same on a hill. If the rpms go up and your speed does not your clutch is slipping.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Mar 25 2019, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 25 2019, 08:51 AM) *

Sounds like the clutch is slipping. Try the same on a hill. If the rpms go up and your speed does not your clutch is slipping.

+1

Even just 4 or 5th gear from a low speed and floor it, if the RPM's climb out of proportion to your forward speed it is the clutch.

Let us know what you find.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Mar 25 2019, 08:44 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I'm with Tdship, slipping starts with high gears (4 and 5) not first or second....Your shift linkage may need to be adjusted. Mark
+Quote Post
troth
post Mar 25 2019, 05:52 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 20,305

Thanks for the input.

It's not slipping in any other conditions than the hard acceleration. Just went out for a ride today and it's driving like normal even in 4th/5th gear at lowish speeds I can't get it to slip. It's not like my 1.8 puts out that much power haha

I am leaning towards a transmission problem and not a clutch problem for this reason.

However, to further complicate things, I just remembered a small leak I had a couple months ago coming from the flywheel area. Is it possible I have a rear main seal leak and some oil is finding its way to the clutch on occasion, causing it to slip?

Just trying to diagnose this as a "Fix this immediately, do not drive further than 2 miles from home" or "get to it eventually" issue. I have no record of the clutch ever being replaced, so it probably should be soon regardless. But I'd like to stretch it another 2 or 3 thousand more miles until I can afford to jump down the "while I'm in there" rabbit hole.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 25 2019, 06:22 PM
Post #6

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

I know of no issue internal to the gearbox which could cause momentary "slippage" such that the engine might rev up suddenly while driving, and then return to normal.
The clutch is the only possible culprit: worn disk, weak pressure plate, or oil contamination.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Mar 25 2019, 07:24 PM
Post #7

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) It's the clutch.

The gears can't slip, under normal conditions you can't strip the gears, grinding, crunching, etc., sounds like that it's the dog teeth and brake bands, not the gears. Other things can also go wrong with the tranny, but it won't slip.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 25 2019, 08:15 PM
Post #8

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Clutch, probably oil leaked onto it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:27 AM