Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Six conversion value for insurance?
mepstein
post Apr 1 2019, 11:02 AM
Post #41

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 1 2019, 12:19 PM) *

So I wonder what I should insure my project for? If complete cars are selling for 50k plus I probably have 25-30k project car? Sum of parts of course.

Don't mix up replacement value with your cost to build. You might have been able to build your engine for $10K but if you try to buy the same from Henry, you pay what, $25K. You would be shooting yourself in the foot if you give the insurance companies the cheapest number possible. If you have a loss, they might come down from retail but it's sure better than coming down from wholesale.

My attorney always says the person with the most documentation wins. If you present documentation for what the car actually cost the average person, not the industry insider, (honestly of course) there is a better chance of actually receiving that money than hoping they find an acceptable value from their resources. Do you think the Early S 911 guys are using what they paid for the car $50K or what it would cost to replace - $200K.

If you suffer a loss and you feel the insurance company is paying you too much, you can always accept less (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 1 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #42

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 1 2019, 01:02 PM) *

So I wonder what I should insure my project for? If complete cars are selling for 50k plus I probably have 25-30k project car? Sum of parts of course.

Don't mix up replacement value with your cost to build. You might have been able to build your engine for $10K but if you try to buy the same from Henry, you pay what, $25K. You would be shooting yourself in the foot if you give the insurance companies the cheapest number possible. If you have a loss, they might come down from retail but it's sure better than coming down from wholesale.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

My engine did cost me about $10K, but there was a lot of wheeling & dealing over 3-4 years to do it, plus all the labour, plus the Canadian dollar was at par at the time. For a customer who wants a done project in a couple months, same engine, $25K USD easy. And that's just the engine.

I want a replacement value that would get me a comparable 914/6 conversion.

engine $25K
my car $18K
suspension, brakes, bilstein struts, fuchs, etc., new tranny, /6 tank, etc... it's a freaking big list.
$12K?

There's $55k USD or for me it's$72K CAD, and not many nice /6 conversions come up for sale in these parts.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 1 2019, 09:01 PM
Post #43

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 1 2019, 10:51 PM) *

My engine did cost me about $10K, but there was a lot of wheeling & dealing over 3-4 years to do it, plus all the labour, plus the Canadian dollar was at par at the time. For a customer who wants a done project in a couple months, same engine, $25K USD easy. And that's just the engine.

engine $25K
my car $18K
suspension, brakes, bilstein struts, fuchs, etc., new tranny, /6 tank, etc... it's a freaking big list.
$12K?

There's $55k USD or for me it's$72K CAD, and not many nice /6 conversions come up for sale in these parts.

Our shop is building at least a dozen $150-200K + project cars. At least 2 have $90K engines. If we went by book value, they'd be $40K each.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 1 2019, 09:06 PM
Post #44

that's what I do!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 1 2019, 11:01 PM) *

engine $25K
my car $18K
$12K?

Our shop is building at least a dozen $150-200K + project cars. At least 2 have $90K engines. If we went by book value, they'd be $40K each.

So are you saying I'm low?
I think I am but I want a realistic replacement value.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 1 2019, 09:27 PM
Post #45

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 1 2019, 11:06 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 1 2019, 11:01 PM) *

engine $25K
my car $18K
$12K?

So are you saying I'm low?
I think I am but I want a realistic replacement value.

Those are 911's. I think you have to take your time and price it out. You don't have to insure for full retail but it's good to know where you stand.

Ex - rennshifter, jwest linkage, custom knob, custom shift rod. - $1K
oil system - lines, cooler, bypass plate, thermostat, oil tank, console, filler, hardline,
dipstick, $2K easy
SS heat exchangers, SS exhaust, hanger, cable, flapper boxes, hardware, gaskets,
hoses, etc, etc, $3-4K
rebuilt trans, clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, 911 trans stubs, sway away axles, 911
hub stubs, 911 cv's, 911 hubs, 914 bearings, hardware, etc... $?

it adds up so fast.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 1 2019, 09:51 PM
Post #46

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

With insurance like you said. IT isn't what you could sell your car for. It is replacement value. Replacement value if you have it done at a shop. When you customize your car. Say with a conversion. You are not going to find the same car for sale. While a bit more likely with a 6 conversion. You still have to price it if you were having it built. Hell I have my Subaru conversion insured for 50k & my appraisal is for more. I plan to up it to 75k once my current drivetrain upgrade is done. Some might say I'm on crack. Could I build one for less? Absolutely. Could I have a bare metal, ground up restore, metal gt flares installed, new gorgeous paint, chassis stiffening, 911 upgrade suspension, custom welding & parts up the wazu, Custom wiring galore, motor rebuilt & upgraded, New larger turbo, uprgaded every part of the fuel system, all new gauges plus all new rubber. There isn't anything that hasn't been redone with newer better parts. Could that all be done by a shop for less? Not in today's market. Could I sell my car for 75k? Hell no. Would I if I could? for 75k HELL YES. Would I sell it for my current 50k insured value? I'd say no but I would probably at least consider the possibility. Answer would still probably be hell no. Would all depend where I was at in life & what I really needed.

So there is my 2 cents on the subject. Which isn't a six conversion at all. I thought it might help put some of the six conversion guys in perspective though. A Porsche six conversion with the same upgrades is worth more
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Apr 2 2019, 09:38 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 14,943

Concur at least $50k US for a good 6 conversion.
BTW Mark, hope you like those webcams... I just noticed yours are what I just ordered for my 930/02 engine.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 2 2019, 10:39 AM
Post #48

that's what I do!

QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 2 2019, 11:38 AM) *

Concur at least $50k US for a good 6 conversion.
BTW Mark, hope you like those webcams... I just noticed yours are what I just ordered for my 930/02 engine.

Good choice I like them, good grunt, but totally streetable.
What pistons? JE? this won't work with stock slugs. Likes CR, 9.5 single plug, 10.5+ twin plug.
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Apr 2 2019, 10:59 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 14,943

JE 9.5:1. This engine has the lighter 2.7 6 bolt crank, large intake port, and clockwise distributor. Nice mix.
Glad you like them... I wanted an agressive street cam and was concerned I overdid it.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Apr 2 2019, 11:43 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My Insurance renewal came up last month; but this thread has got me thinking I need to re-think the insured value on the GT tribute. When I started getting parts sourced and the donor car purchased for the project in the 2013-ish timeframe, used prices were VERY different than today. I now worry (as Mark pointed out) that even just getting a shopping list together for used, good component parts in need of rebuild / refurb won't cover the $36K current insured value - let alone getting them refurbed and actually nailing the thing together. And paint. And roll cage install. And 7&8 Fuchs. And.... etc.

Good conversation here.

- Tony
+Quote Post
larryM
post Apr 2 2019, 02:42 PM
Post #51

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 30 2019, 03:29 PM) *

any decent six conversion ... Nice paint and interior, is worth 50,000 to insure. These days just a great running original 911 engine is worth at least 15,000

this is from Hagerty Articles 2016

"Mecum offered a 914 upgraded to 2.2-liter six-cylinder power with 40mm Weber carburetors, Recaro seats, fender flares, Momo steering wheel and five-lug Fuchs alloy wheels at Houston in April. The trouble was that it wasn’t what it wanted to be – a 914/6. The bidders quit at $39,000, a telling contrast not only between real and make-believe 914/6s, but also the perils of spending vast amounts of money to make a 914 into a 914/6."

i guess that so long as we are willing to pay whatever the fee is, they'll insure for whatever we want to say, market value being irrelevant?

- kind'a like on Antiques Roadshow where they say "recommend to insure for $$xxxxx" vs giving the person a "well advertised auction estimate value" or "value in a high end retail store"

similarly, like jewelry which is also highly valued for insurance purposes - you can go get a diamond ring at Costco for about half of what the included paper suggesting the "insurance value" says

relevant thread here -
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...ion-values.html

which most of you are likely tracking?

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 2 2019, 03:14 PM
Post #52

914-6 GT in waiting

A Singer is just a modified 964. 964 vin. If it gets stolen or damaged, do you want the 964 price or the Singer price?
+Quote Post
11tenths
post Apr 2 2019, 03:17 PM
Post #53

Ve get too soon old, und too late schmart

Member No.: 15,026
Region Association: North East States

What's the purpose of having insurance- is it not to be able to get another replacement car for the one you've lost? NOW, not another 5 year project, you've already invested your time.

As far as documentation- spend some time on Patrick Motorsports' site and tick all the boxes to build a conversion, like the guy I bought my car from did... I was astounded. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I don't know about you, but I'm getting older everyday- I'd want to be able to buy a replacement car I could be proud of right away.

-Harry
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 3 2019, 07:08 PM
Post #54

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

FYI, I just bought a Hagerty policy yesterday for my resto project. They offer a comprehensive only policy for cars not registered and under restoration or storage. $132 for the year for an agreed value of $25K including an endorsement that automatically increases the agreed value by 10% per month. I thought that was pretty good and figured I'd mention it since I wasn't aware you could get comp only until I did some digging and it won't turn up using the online quote tool.
+Quote Post
11tenths
post Apr 4 2019, 10:07 AM
Post #55

Ve get too soon old, und too late schmart

Member No.: 15,026
Region Association: North East States

They should call it "Jackstand Insurance". I could have saved 1/2 my premium for the 5 yrs the car was in the garage.

-Harry
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Apr 4 2019, 12:01 PM
Post #56

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I just did a spreadsheet for mine. Started with the Hagerty FAIR baseline 75 1.8L; added 911 parts, new parts & conversion parts with reasonable labor rates and ended up near $25k. I think a full resto would put me $40k+.

I won't be building a replacement... taking too long to build this one.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 5 2019, 04:11 PM
Post #57

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 4 2019, 02:01 PM) *

I just did a spreadsheet for mine. Started with the Hagerty FAIR baseline 75 1.8L; added 911 parts, new parts & conversion parts with reasonable labor rates and ended up near $25k. I think a full resto would put me $40k+.

I won't be building a replacement... taking too long to build this one.

Just did hagerty Canada calculator, '74 1,8 #2 excellent condition is $38,100, so $28500 usd. I know that takes a hit for the conversion the the 911 goodies, but the those goodies have big $ value.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Apr 5 2019, 04:18 PM
Post #58

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

- spend some time on Patrick Motorsports' site and tick all the boxes to build a conversion, like the guy I bought my car from did... I was astounded. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Hell yes i would love to do that but if you have to ask how much. .... As the saying go's

(? You got a 914)
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Apr 6 2019, 12:42 PM
Post #59

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/o...6858973305.html

50 $ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
larryM
post Apr 13 2019, 12:51 PM
Post #60

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

just did a search on 914/6 values - since 2012 it seems they have increased 150% per Hagerty

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry2704935

maybe that holds for conversions as well?

fwiw found this nice 3.2 conversion in 2014 for $35K ask - said $70K in rcpts
https://bringatrailer.com/2014/01/11/3-2l-s...der-conversion/
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-car...-g-fordahl.html

+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:27 PM