Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT Any (new) Mini Cooper Thoughts?, Thinking about selling the 944
bmcwilli
post Jun 23 2005, 09:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,998

My 944 S2 is a great car, but it's 14 years old, and starting to nickel and dime a bit. I'd like something different

Any thoughts on the Supercharged minis? They are very popular at the AX these days

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jasons
post Jun 23 2005, 09:41 AM
Post #2

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573
Region Association: None

I have an 89 S2 as well. The car I would like to convert it into would be an e36 M3. Just my $0.02

The mini is FWD. How about a WRX?
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jun 23 2005, 10:05 AM
Post #3

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

if there is a car that needs a diet this one is it, they need to lose about 200 to 300 lbs. i dont know where they put it but for its size that car is heavy for its size, i dont know how it weighs 2500 pounds and is that small.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 23 2005, 10:12 AM
Post #4

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Dealer option John Cooper Works Package and Option delete everything possible. No stinking Sun roof No stinking Climate control, Wonder if you can delete the stereo? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) Speakers are heavy!!!!
SCCA Super Stock by the way with JCW package. And yea that car is FAST.
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Jun 23 2005, 10:22 AM
Post #5

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Drove a non-super charged car for a week recently. Car was just plain fun. Had to rev it to 4000+ to get to the real zip, but it was there. Certainly didn't feel heavy top me. Handled great, rode shockingly well for such a litte car. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif) My friend who owns the car said he passed on the supercharger because it has a very noticable whine. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif) Since this was the same guy who loaned me his Bentley, we know for sure the cost wasn't the issue. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 23 2005, 10:31 AM
Post #6

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I have great difficulty going from my 914 to wife's Cooper S. Top heavy like an SUV well, consider my base line comparision.
Supercharger is music to my ears. Someday I will fanagle an Autocross event with it. But wifes says pigs will fly out my butt 1st. Sure is gonna hurt. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

And the S motors have forged engine internals. and oil squirters.
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jun 23 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #7

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

My MC S is my daily driver and I love it. I haven't taken it to a track yet, but have ridden in one on track. At times it did feel like it was going to tip over. True, FWD is a little sketchy in full power corners, but for daily driver use I have no complaints.

And I do enjoy the s'charger sounds -- music to my ears (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
nynone4
post Jun 23 2005, 12:37 PM
Post #8

Hammer to fit. Paint to match.

Member No.: 713

I have a 2002 Cooper S that I bought new almost exactly three years ago. It's got 60k nearly trouble-free miles (it was a pretty early car - so it had a couple hiccups like needing the coolant expansion tank replaced multiple times), and I drive the car HARD. It is a VERY stripped down car - no sunroof, no heavy extras - and I use it for SCCA SM class autocross, and do a handful of track days each year in it.

The car is heavy for its size, but is very well built and once you get used to the difference of front wheel drive from driving the RWD 914, it is very tossable and corners VERY well. I think you'd enjoy one as a daily driver. Here's a pic of my car:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Jun 23 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #9

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Cooper S is over weight and over priced. That little 1.6 has trouble until 3500 RPM then it has some power. I'd go for the stripped Mitsu EVO at $26K
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Jun 23 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 391

We have a 1987 930 that is fast, a 914 race car that is quick, but the 2003 Mini S is FUN! It has every option except the GPS system and even after two years People still stop me and ask about it. I have had no problems with it and would get another one in a heartbeat.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:50 AM