Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> #9 Fuse blows, Almost hate to ask about this one.
dgraves
post Apr 1 2019, 05:46 PM
Post #1

1974 914 2.0

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,076
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

None of my instruments are working. Car starts and runs fine. I did only the following since everything was perfect.

1 - Replaced my flasher relay
2 - Replaced my heater blower motor relay
3 - Checked my heater lever for connectivity by pulling out of the tunnel and replacing.

When the fuse blew the first time, I didn't know it was the fuse. So naturally I started checking my dash lights by turning the knob. Nothing.

I replaced the fuse once. The gauges appeared to come on. I then noticed the fuel gauge was reading inaccurately full because before the malfunction it was accurately reading that the car was low on fuel. I turned light knob again...and pop, the fuse blew.

I have a feeling this is going to be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Any suggestions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 1 2019, 09:07 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Does the fuse still pop if you don't turn the headlight knob? If not, then your strongest suspect is the instrument illumination circuit.

I have had a few things that caused that fuse to pop. One was a body shop plugging in the license plate lights the wrong way around. There is a ground tab specifically, and it has continuity through the mounting screw threads.

Another was a fuse panel that shifted; there was only one mounting screw in it for a while and it would shift occasionally and short one of the wires plugged into the panel to the panel holder.

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 04:08 PM