Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What do you pay for plating?, Got a quote that seems kinda crazy
bbrock
post Apr 4 2019, 04:33 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Finally got a quote from a plating company recommended by one of our respected vendors. It seems a little nuts though. I have about 50 lbs. of clean parts that need either yellow cadmium or yellow zinc. Another very small batch in black zinc. They asked me to separate out hardened and non-hardened parts because they only bake the hardened stuff, and send pictures. I did that. The hardened yellow amounts to about 2 lbs. of parts. The black zinc, maybe a pound. They also said they'd let me know if yellow zinc would be cheaper. Here's what I got back:

Black Zinc Plate and Bake 14 hours at 400 F. Group lot
$115.00

Yellow Cadmium Plate Group
$200.00 lot

Yellow Cadmium Plate and Bake
$ 215.00 lot

$200 for the main batch doesn't seem bad, but having to separate out sure adds up for a small amount of additional hardware. I'm just wondering if this is typical of what others are paying. I may just plate and bake the hardened stuff myself but man is that a PITA. Here's what will be in each of those lots:

Black Zinc baked $115
Attached Image

Yellow Cad no bake $200
Attached Image

Yellow Cad bake (except for the hose clamps which will be moved to the no-bake per recommendations and I just noticed a few other pieces that shouldn't be in there) $215
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 33)
mb911
post Apr 4 2019, 07:59 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

One last thing if I can help at all let me know.. I could drop it off and typically talk with the owner for a minute or 2 and for 20-40 bucks get a huge 5 gallon bucket done.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 4 2019, 08:03 PM
Post #22

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 4 2019, 07:57 PM) *

Also a side note no one to my knowledge is really doing cad plating it is zinc yellow..

The place I got the quote from (Quality Plating in Salt Lake City) still does cad. They claim it has 3X the corrosion protection as zinc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 4 2019, 08:59 PM
Post #23

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 4 2019, 09:59 PM) *

One last thing if I can help at all let me know.. I could drop it off and typically talk with the owner for a minute or 2 and for 20-40 bucks get a huge 5 gallon bucket done.

I think I have a couple 5 gallon buckets. I hate to ship big lots of metal but I think I will have to send your way. The only places I've found around here charge 20-40 bucks for a handful of parts. Like chrome, it's not an east coast thing.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 5 2019, 04:49 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 4 2019, 06:03 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 4 2019, 07:57 PM) *

Also a side note no one to my knowledge is really doing cad plating it is zinc yellow..

The place I got the quote from (Quality Plating in Salt Lake City) still does cad. They claim it has 3X the corrosion protection as zinc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

@bbrock are the Pmb brake calipers cad or zinc? The reason I ask I can tell you the difference if interesting as my calipers started the corrosion process very quickly from just sitting on the shelf vs my plated parts from finishing and plating

Also a note. FPS only does plating no prep. You would have to clean/polish or blast ahead of time.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 5 2019, 07:31 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 5 2019, 04:49 AM) *

@bbrock are the Pmb brake calipers cad or zinc? The reason I ask I can tell you the difference if interesting as my calipers started the corrosion process very quickly from just sitting on the shelf vs my plated parts from finishing and plating

@mb911 That's something I was thinking of asking @Eric_Shea . All their how-tos and videos say yellow zinc but if they are using a place that also does cad, it makes me wonder. From what I've ready, cad has both better corrosion protection and lubricity compared to zinc so it seems like it would be better for calipers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Also a note. FPS only does plating no prep. You would have to clean/polish or blast ahead of time.

Everything has been prepped and ready to go. I"ve lost count of the hours spend wire wheeling, tumbling and blasting this parts. A few parts have a small amount of flash rust from sitting around naked, but that will come off in the pickling before plating. Do you know if FPS bakes parts to control hydrogen embrittlement?

@mb911
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 30 2019, 02:17 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

Shout out to @mb911 ! After months of poor communication with the outfit in SLC, I decided to drop Ben's shop in Kenosha an email. Within minutes I got a reply directly from the CEO. He asked for pics which I sent. Within minutes I had a quote. $190 for my entire bunch of parts, both yellow zinc and black, including baking and shipping. That sounds a lot better than $550 + shipping even it this isn't actual cad. Just as important, they actually act like they want my business. Looks like I'll be shipping my parts out to Ben's general vicinity. Thanks for the tip dude! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 30 2019, 02:38 PM
Post #27

914-6 GT in waiting

@bbrock - What determines baking vs not. Do springs, strut adjustment plates, shims and other hardware get baked or just hardened bolts.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Apr 30 2019, 02:40 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

@mepstein from what I've looked into it's just hardened bolts and spring steel that seem to need baking
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 30 2019, 02:44 PM
Post #29

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Apr 30 2019, 04:40 PM) *

@mepstein from what I've looked into it's just hardened bolts and spring steel that seem to need baking

OK. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 30 2019, 03:11 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Apr 30 2019, 02:40 PM) *

Correct. Anything of 10.9 hardness or less does not need to be baked and some sources say shouldn't be baked. I haven't figured out why it is not desirable to bake non-hardened pieces though. I think most places just bake the whole batch if requested. For a technical pub, this document explains things pretty clearly: http://www.boltcouncil.org/files/HydrogenE...ers-Brahimi.pdf
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 30 2019, 03:17 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

I actually have a box there for @mepstein waiting to get done..
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 30 2019, 03:22 PM
Post #32

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 30 2019, 05:17 PM) *

And some more on the way soon.
I’ll throw the bell crank and steering bushings in the box. @mb911
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 30 2019, 03:26 PM
Post #33

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 30 2019, 03:17 PM) *

I thought about sending mine to you but decided to see if I could just ship direct and save you the hassle. So far, I'm super impressed with their customer service and don't feel like they think they are doing me a huge favor by accepting my business.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 30 2019, 06:42 PM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Apr 30 2019, 04:40 PM) *

baking reduces hydrogen embrittlement (i.e. cracking due to hydrogen getting into the molecular matrix of the steel). Baking drives the hydrogen out.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:12 PM