Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS: 1970 914-4, 5 reasons not to buy it.
jos.hall
post Apr 10 2019, 02:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,804
Region Association: None

It has great potential but it's definitely a project.

1. It doesn't run. According to the PO, he drove it into it's resting spot in 1996 when he had a rear brake issue. He hired a backyard mechanic to fix his brakes and said backyard mechanic couldn't figure out how to work on the rear brakes of a 914. The car sat in the same spot til April 8, 2018 when I drug it out.

2. Having sat in the same spot for 22 years, everything needs to be gone through. Living in San Bernardino was a dry life but a very hot one at that and all the seals are toasty.

3. It has known cancerous rust in 2.5 areas. Area 1 is about 1"x4" spot on the drivers front quarter. Only one corrugated dip of the area was affected. I've taken a screwdriver and tried to pierce the other questionable areas to no avail. Area 2 and 2.5 is the Hell Hole and Battery Tray. I've tried to take good photos of the area to document this. On a brighter note the longitudinals are gorgeous.

4. The biggest reason to not buy the car is it has back fees. I bought the car 1 year and 2 days ago under the premise that there were no back fees and it was out of the system. The car came with the original title and and a bill of sale so I wasn't too concern. I listed the car for sale this past week locally and immediately had a buyer. Not wanting any hiccups for the new buyer I thought it best to run to AAA and change the title over to my name. Come to find out it has $800 in back fees. Needless to say, I called my buyer up and let him know.

5. The day I towed the car home, the targa top decided it wanted to be a kite on the 15 and flew the instant the AAA man got on the highway. Needless to say it's no longer a targa but a convertible.

NOW, onto the good.

1. The engine isn't seized.
2. The car is very solid and very straight.
3. All things considered it's very complete. It's missing the targa top and it has a 944 steering wheel but I have another 914 steering wheel or a formuling france wheel I can throw in with it.
4. The bumpers on this have no dents or dings whatsoever.
5. The prep job was just as bad as the paint job. Because of this much of the Tangerine Paint is still there and would probably come back with some oven cleaner.

Honestly this would make a great project for someone with time and talent. Unfortunately I have neither. I bought it with the hopes of just getting it running and then driving the worlds ugliest "Poorshe" although it's far from the ugliest. I've got 2 little ones who command most of my time and I'm wayyy too ADHD to be a body man. I've provided the best photos I could to show the common rust areas. I removed the hideous home carpeting that was in the car to double and triple check that there was no rust in the floors and found that one spot.

Asking $2500 NOW $1800!!!!!!!!!
Car is located in Menifee Ca

Thanks
Jos

Ps. I apologize for the small photos but wanted to make sure they were resized so I didn't have to make individual posts for every one of them. If there's an area that I missed or a photo that you'd like to see larger don't hesitate to ask.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jos.hall
post Apr 10 2019, 02:34 AM
Post #2

Having looked at the photos after the post. The front bumper appears to be losing it's chrome. It's not. That's just 20 years of dirt caked on. I will clean the bumper tomorrow and provide a more accurate photo.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Apr 10 2019, 03:49 AM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

What's the month and year of build? In the driver door? Thanks, Rob
+Quote Post
jos.hall
post Apr 10 2019, 04:21 AM
Post #4

Sorry I forgot to add that... Here's the photo

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Apr 10 2019, 06:21 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666

Now this is how to do a For Sale ad on a car like this, well done.
+Quote Post
jos.hall
post Apr 10 2019, 05:35 PM
Post #6

Thanks TDskip, I don’t want to mislead anyone. This is not a weekend project but in all reality could be driving again in stock form within a realitively short amount of time. But..... This would be a great subie swap candidate.
+Quote Post
jos.hall
post Apr 22 2019, 03:44 AM
Post #7

Price Drop! $2000 I've gotta move this car because I just bought something VERY special (at least in my small niche). Made in Osnabruck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
jos.hall
post May 1 2019, 03:20 AM
Post #8

$2500
$2000

$1800 Gotta move this by the end of the month as my Unicorn car is coming from out from Ohio
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:09 AM