Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bone stock 1.7 durability for track days
Bulldozer27
post Apr 18 2019, 08:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,653
Region Association: Southern California

In December of last year, I took the 914 plunge and bought a '71 6cyl conversion. Said car had too much cancer (rust), so I started looking for a suitable replacement donor chassis. By this March, I found and bought my replacement chassis, a clean, mostly original, bone stock base '71 1.7L 914.

My intention was to strip down the latter to transplant drivetrain, suspension, and brakes from the former, but before doing so, I wanted to drive it just to see what it was like. So I took it on a canyon run in the mountains down here (where I have driven many other previously owned sportscars). Afterwards, I found that the 1.7 was one of the most fun cars that I have driven on those roads because the meager 80hp is perfectly complemented by the OEM suspension that leans like the Tower of Pisa in corners, and the 165SR/15 bicycle tires 4-wheel drift everywhere.

My question to those of you with experience: is a bone stock 1.7L durable enough for track days? I would love to drive this thing as is at track events, not in pursuit of laptimes (obviously), but purely for enjoyment.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:10 AM