Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another one takes it from behind..., Need help locating a body shop for 914s
infraredcalvin
post Apr 20 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #1

Distracted Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Crap, got rear ended yesterday, thankfully it wasn’t too hard and nobody was hurt, but not what I wanted on my shakedown run after getting everything up to snuff for next weeks autocross...

That was a really nice, straight rear chrome bumper...

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Apr 20 2019, 10:27 AM
Post #2

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

That would upset me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Glad you're ok. Now you need to fix it.
+Quote Post
sithot
post Apr 20 2019, 10:34 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,090
Region Association: None

Lucky. Could have been worse!

DIMINISHED VALUE CLAIM!!!

+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Apr 20 2019, 10:45 AM
Post #4

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Glad you're ok....

I've got ONE last bumper

Pm me

Oscar

I'm in OC

Attached Image

+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Apr 20 2019, 10:55 AM
Post #5

Distracted Member

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Apr 20 2019, 09:45 AM) *

Glad you're ok....

I've got ONE last bumper

Pm me

Oscar

I'm in OC

Attached Image

Oscar, I was hoping you’d chime in on that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2019, 11:03 AM
Post #6

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Take Oscar up on his bumper offer & make their insurance pay for it all!

Yes - could've been worse - like mine that was right after a high dollar (in `85 $s) rolling resto/rebuild, which has had me hung up for 34 years now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached Image

Front end was damaged too, cuz the ditz pushed it 2 feet forward into a parking structure column at the LF corner - so both ends mashed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Attached Image

Hey Oscar - I have a nice rechromed rear bumper already, but do you have any cherry front chrome bumpers with the tit-holes & back braces? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Apr 20 2019, 11:05 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

thankfully not too bad. The bumper shop could straighten and rechrome for 400 I am sure, then just a bit of pulling on the rear panel and it is saved.

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Apr 20 2019, 09:21 AM) *

Crap, got rear ended yesterday, thankfully it wasn’t too hard and nobody was hurt, but not what I wanted on my shakedown run after getting everything up to snuff for next weeks autocross...

That was a really nice, straight rear chrome bumper...

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Apr 20 2019, 11:14 AM
Post #8

Distracted Member

Thanks, guys I was pretty mad cause it was such a stupid hit at a 4 way stop. She rolled into me, probably distracted... but the look on her face was one of those - great, another thing to pile on a string of bad luck lately. I’m a bit there myself, but taking in stride. Usually I drive my 930 on Friday’s, I’m glad I was driving this instead of that or even my dd as the hassle would have been much higher, the cost to fix either of those would have been exponentially higher as well.

I had actually told myself when buckling in, “I hope I don’t get rear ended today”... some how I knew it was coming...
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Apr 20 2019, 11:17 AM
Post #9

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Hey Tom

I only have ONE front that is not a rechrome candidate...its straight but most probably PAINT quality at best.

I'm holding this rear for Pat.

Tom...if you have a decent front I can still recondition at GB prices.

I've got 3 of Bens @mb911 GT fronts at chrome and one front that belongs to Nathan. All else done and delivered. 108 bumpers

Oscar

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 20 2019, 10:03 AM) *

Yes - could've been worse - like mine that was right after a high dollar (in `85 $s) rolling resto/rebuild, which has had me hung up for 34 years now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached Image

Front end was damaged too, cuz the ditz pushed it 2 feet forward into a parking structure column at the LF corner - so both ends mashed! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Attached Image

Hey Oscar - I have a nice rechromed rear bumper already, but do you have any cherry front chrome bumpers with the tit-holes & back braces? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Tom
///////

+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Apr 20 2019, 11:20 AM
Post #10

Distracted Member

One of my buddies had never realized the spoiler was painted yellow on the back, which really doesn’t go with the car. The PO told me he had it painted yellow so that “dumbass drivers” wouldn’t rear end him...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 20 2019, 12:00 PM
Post #11

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Except the color blind ones.....
Yes could be much worse. Take Oscar up on the bumper they don't get much better than that. A relatively easy fix, with the right parts.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Apr 20 2019, 12:12 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Apr 20 2019, 10:05 AM' post='2707101']
thankfully not too bad. The bumper shop could straighten and rechrome for 400 I am sure, then just a bit of pulling on the rear panel and it is saved.

$400.00 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) maybe in Atlanta but not in Calif..........
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 20 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

[quote name='Coondog' date='Apr 20 2019, 02:12 PM' post='2707123']
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Apr 20 2019, 10:05 AM' post='2707101']

$400.00 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) maybe in Atlanta but not in Calif..........
[/quote]
The $400 that Oscar did on the group buy was a gift to the 914 community (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Apr 20 2019, 02:57 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 22,446

I have a decent rear for $200
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 20 2019, 08:13 PM
Post #15

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Apr 20 2019, 10:17 AM) *

Hey Tom

I only have ONE front that is not a rechrome candidate...its straight but most probably PAINT quality at best.

I'm holding this rear for Pat.

Tom...if you have a decent front I can still recondition at GB prices.

I've got 3 of Bens @mb911 GT fronts at chrome and one front that belongs to Nathan. All else done and delivered. 108 bumpers

Oscar

Thanx Oscar!

Unfortunately I don't have a front restoration/rechrome candidate as yet Oscar, but I'll keep your offer in mind if I find something descent to use.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Apr 20 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #16

Distracted Member

Might as well keep this updated, you guys can go though this nonsense with me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

A quick recap:

I bought this car late last year from world member @jacquot , I’ve been prepping and upgrading the safety equipment so I could run DE and autocross with the hopes of wheel to wheel racing later on.

I finally got the seats and harnesses mounted with decent headroom for a helmet (without cutting out the floor cross brace). I decided to drive to work for the first time since all the prepping as a shakedown run - about 30 miles each way. Had a little snafu with the fuel pump in the am (I kicked the fuse out of the holder), but was quickly fixed in the gas station parking lot and I was on my way.

Headed home for the day was where I got punted. A little sore today, I’m going to have some issues later on with that, I can tell, but back to the car.

Today I reluctantly cancelled my registration for the POC autocross next sat, and informed my Luftgetkult buddy that we wouldn’t be arriving to luft6 in the 914 to celebrate the 914’s 50th. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

After the hit I was able to get her started ok and drive her home. Gauges were losing power every time I hit the brakes, blinkers weren’t working either. Turned out to be a missing fuse. Must’ve jarred loose with the hit, ended up finding it on the floor later in the day. Hmm, between that and the fuel pump issue earlier, it might be time for a JWest upgrade???

I also took survey of the body damage from above. I’ll jack her up in the am and verify motor and trans mounts are unaffected.

+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Apr 20 2019, 10:17 PM
Post #17

Distracted Member

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 20 2019, 10:03 AM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Tom
///////

Tom, Ive seen pics of your car, sorry to see it like that. I’ve seen so many come on here showing their rear end damage I always felt it was only a matter of time. These taillights are low and not as bright as the in your face things you see today... then there are the distractions...
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Apr 22 2019, 06:52 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 19,450

And when you have this fixed don't forget to add a third brake light. Mine was a Walmart buy and I got 2 lights. Added this one to my car and the other to a friends, OLAF's, 914. Easy install and I hid the wires holding them in position with butyl left over from my windshield install.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Apr 25 2019, 06:12 PM
Post #19

Distracted Member

Ok, first round of bad news. Been having a lot of trouble even finding a local shop to work on a 914, any ideas in so cal are welcome.

A member here that does collision work did me a favor and took a quick look at some photos. The hit was hard enough to buckle both rear fenders as well as punch the rear panel in by one of the taillights. The resultant damage is inward and downward. For a correct pull it was recommended that a shop with a Celette bench and 914 fixtures do the work to pull out correctly.

I’m looking for a good estimate to fix, for the insurance company, I’d rather not have it totaled. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Apr 25 2019, 06:39 PM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Sounds like you are into real money. Look for a good Porsche shop. If they can do high end 911’s they should have no problem fixing your 914. Good luck with the repair and glad you weren’t hurt.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:59 AM