Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best type 4 engine rebuild book or guide?
Tdskip
post Apr 26 2019, 08:02 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Looking to learn more about our engines, I've found rebuild guides to be a great resources on some of my other cars.

Is there a go-to source for these you can recommend?

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Beebo Kanelle
post Apr 26 2019, 08:12 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,177
Region Association: Southwest Region

Mr. Raby's "Type 4 Rebuild DVD" is an excellent primer if you're completely unfamiliar the the Type 4 engine... at least it was for me.

In fact, it's great if you have no intention of rebuilding, but instead just want to learn.
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Apr 26 2019, 09:13 AM
Post #3

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Apr 26 2019, 10:12 AM) *

Mr. Raby's "Type 4 Rebuild DVD" is an excellent primer if you're completely unfamiliar the the Type 4 engine... at least it was for me.

In fact, if great if you have no intention of rebuilding, but instead just want to learn.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) +1 on the Jake Raby video.
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Apr 26 2019, 09:47 AM
Post #4

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

Wilson VW engine rebuild book is great, a lot of type 1 info but a good amount of type 4, both engines are very similar. There is a VW engine hot rod book by the same publisher, lots of formula Vee stuff.
Jakes video is really good but the sealant technology has changed dramatically.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Apr 26 2019, 09:49 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

If you want a book that will really give you all the background information, Tom Wilson's book covers it all. It does a a side by side comparison of each type of VW engine. Great learning curve. Breaks type 4 engines down to show what is common. Notes on what makes the 914 different. Then it will tell you how to put it together.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
maf914
post Apr 26 2019, 09:58 AM
Post #6

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

In the pre internet days I rebuilt my Type 4 engine using the Hayne's 914 manual, Clymer 914 manual, and Tom Wilson's VW Aircooled Engine book. Now we have the internet and Jake Raby's Type 4 CD.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
maf914
post Apr 26 2019, 10:00 AM
Post #7

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

I wonder why my attachments stacked horizontally and not vertically? First time this has happened for me.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Apr 26 2019, 10:44 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Thanks gentlemen!
+Quote Post
cashiersjm
post Apr 26 2019, 11:10 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,100
Region Association: South East States

Does Jake Raby still sell the video or where can it be purchased?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Apr 26 2019, 11:12 AM
Post #10

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Bug Me Video.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 26 2019, 11:17 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Just a quick word as someone who has used both Haynes and Tom Wilson's books to rebuild engines. The Haynes is barely adequate to get the job done and is missing some stuff that you may regret not knowing later (like reusing old valves might grenade your engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ). Wilson's book is WAY better but lacks some information I've learned from this group about things that contribute to a quality build. Things like decking the case to make sure cylinder registers are even and perpendicular to the crank, and cc'ing heads for getting the compression ratio you want when setting deck height.

I'm not knocking those books. They are great (especially Wilson's book). I just wanted to share my experience of what was missing that I wish I had known.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Apr 26 2019, 11:52 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 26 2019, 01:17 PM) *

Just a quick word as someone who has used both Haynes and Tom Wilson's books to rebuild engines. The Haynes is barely adequate to get the job done and is missing some stuff that you may regret not knowing later (like reusing old valves might grenade your engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) ). Wilson's book is WAY better but lacks some information I've learned from this group about things that contribute to a quality build. Things like decking the case to make sure cylinder registers are even and perpendicular to the crank, and cc'ing heads for getting the compression ratio you want when setting deck height.

I'm not knocking those books. They are great (especially Wilson's book). I just wanted to share my experience of what was missing that I wish I had known.

Agree - recommend both books. However, remember VW's are notoriously robust engines. The points you make differentiate a great rebuild from an average one.

I used both books referenced when I rebuilt my 1.7L to a 1.9L back in early 90' or 91' and didn't put in the attention to detail ( like decking the case, line boring, etc) and my engine went about 80,000 miles with no issues. Tough little buggers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

I had a early 70's VW bug (flat windshield) with a type 1 engine. Bought it for $50. After a few months of owning and driving it, at the gas station I noticed a huge puddle of oil had formed under it. Looked under it. No source of oil leakage. What the heck?

Started it and then looked under it. One of the cylinders was moving back and forth and when it moved out from the case, oil was leaking like mad.

Popped off the valve cover, tightened the bottom four cylinder head nuts. The top 4 can't be reached without pulling the tin so I had no choice but to leave them.

Being poor, in college, and lacking a place to properly fix it, I drove it several thousand miles with only the bottom 4 bolts tight. No more oil leaks. down on power some but it ran pretty darn good for about a year before I finally dropped the engine. Even then I just tightened up the upper head nuts and then ran it another couple thousand miles before I finally sold it for $75.00 to a guy that was using it for a sand rail donor.

Moral of the story - tough little buggers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 26 2019, 11:56 AM
Post #13

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

They're all good, but none is perfect. If nothing else, they were written a while ago, and the parts have gotten older and technology has gotten better. And more expensive in many ways.

One part of Wilson's book that was particularly confusing to me is where he talks about the cam timing marks. He addresses all of the engines in one paragraph, which makes it very easy to mix up what you're reading. You can cross-check with the Haynes manual or just remember that the one marked tooth on the one gear goes in between the two marked teeth on the other gear...

The Raby video is pretty good for showing you what happens when you have no surprises, and when a team of elves gets everything cleaned up and prepped ahead of time. Then again, the video would be about thirty hours long if he showed us all of the various "surprises" he found, and another forty hours long if he showed all of the cleaning and prep... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Combine a couple of the above-mentioned sources with this forum, though, and it should work out pretty well.

--DD
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Apr 26 2019, 02:48 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 26 2019, 11:52 AM) *

Agree - recommend both books. However, remember VW's are notoriously robust engines. The points you make differentiate a great rebuild from an average one.

Absolutely! and as fantastic as it is, Internet advice sometimes leans toward dogmatic which makes it difficult for a dummy like me to know what must be done for any decent build and understanding the benefits and trade-offs of the other things. I could expand on this with examples but won't.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Apr 27 2019, 06:16 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Ordered Wilson’s book, should make for some good reading.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Apr 27 2019, 11:21 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Back in my VW days (late 60's/early 70's) I always had John Muir's book handy. Not much on pictures, but the non-technical way he explained everything was pretty cool. I still have that book around someplace.
+Quote Post
settador
post Apr 28 2019, 12:05 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 4,086

Wilson's book, John Muir's idiot guide, and a shop manual.

In 2005 a guy here on 914 world named Mike Rose sent me a complete shop manual, including schematics and fuel injection, on a CD. Didn't ask for a penny in return, so I burned him a CD of "driving music" and sent it to him. I have the info in a file on my computer and I'm happy to pay it forward if anyone is interested.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 23 2019, 10:10 AM
Post #18

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I've contemplated doing a new T4 rebuild video. The original that I did 20 years ago is very dated. It was also more geared toward the VW bus, than the 914.
With today's technology, we can do a lot more than was possible 20 years ago.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post May 23 2019, 10:21 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

I purchased, and plan to use, your video. It would be great if you do a new one or provide an update of what those of us who have the video could/should do differently than what you did in the video.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post May 23 2019, 11:18 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

I’d order an updated version too - I think quite a few of us will.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:19 PM