Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My very own barn find
eamesonly
post May 10 2019, 10:18 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,667
Region Association: None

I had a 914 engine complete rebuild from a very top German car place new 96mm pistons, 44mm weber carbs, etc. And once completed I asked them if they changed the gas lines. They said we checked them and they were good. They told me put a 1000 miles on it and bring it back. I got to 900 and was driving. The engine hesitated and as I went up the hilll I could see flames in the rear window. Right behind my head. This was about six years ago. Turns out the gas line in the engine bay were bad.

In the time since life has happened and things never really took hold. Now they're going to get it back and going.

I need a few things one new engine deck lid. New locking mechanism for the ignition? What do you recommend?

Also will keep the group updated on the progress. I think I paid about 3k for the car and had about 6k into it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 10 2019, 10:43 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post May 10 2019, 11:22 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

I like the AC unit, very compact.

I have an engine cover with latch if you need it
+Quote Post
eamesonly
post May 10 2019, 01:40 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 10 2019, 08:43 AM) *

Thanks! Glad to be on board.
+Quote Post
eamesonly
post May 10 2019, 01:40 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Chi-town @ May 10 2019, 09:22 AM) *

I like the AC unit, very compact.

I have an engine cover with latch if you need it

Don't know much about it was going to remove it but who knows maybe I'll try to get it working?
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 10 2019, 02:35 PM
Post #6

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) We'll get you to a point that you can do your own repairs. You can still burn it down but it will be your fault this time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Seriously, this is why so many of us work on our own 914's. Most of the mechanics that knew the 914 are retired or worse (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . There are only a handful of reputable 914 mechanics nowadays. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mbseto
post May 10 2019, 02:38 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

The title threw me fr a second... Your own barn find meaning it was in your own barn...
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post May 10 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #8

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Chris Foley New Fuel Lines... Will be a fun project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 10 2019, 06:23 PM
Post #9

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Cheers & Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post May 10 2019, 06:57 PM
Post #10

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 10 2019, 03:35 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) We'll get you to a point that you can do your own repairs. You can still burn it down but it will be your fault this time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Seriously, this is why so many of us work on our own 914's. Most of the mechanics that knew the 914 are retired or worse (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . There are only a handful of reputable 914 mechanics nowadays. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) There is so much help available through this forum, you won't want to have unknowing folks work on your car, your hands and the combined brains here will be all you'll need (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 11 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #11

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 10 2019, 07:17 PM) *

Chris Foley New Fuel Lines... Will be a fun project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

And if you want to make a road trip to the Fort Worth area, I have a number of spare engine lids. Come for a visit, pick out an engine lid and drive home.

Clay
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 12 2019, 05:31 AM
Post #12

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 11 2019, 02:47 PM) *

And if you want to make a road trip to the Fort Worth area, I have a number of spare engine lids. Come for a visit, pick out an engine lid and drive home.

Clay

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) go see Clay and Betty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post May 12 2019, 07:47 AM
Post #13

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 12 2019, 06:31 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 11 2019, 02:47 PM) *

Clay

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) go see Clay and Betty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)

If you come up here early next Saturday, you can attend the "Motoring Mavs at Mayo's" event. You get to tour Mayo Performance in Euless and visit with Ed Mayo, the PCA Tech expert on 914 and early 911. He has more stuff about 914s locked in his head than I ever will.

Great event, Lots of Porsche cars to look at, and lots of people to talk cars with. And free donuts!

+Quote Post
scottthephotog
post May 14 2019, 11:08 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 22,667

Motoring Mavs at Mayo's is a brilliant event. Ed Mayo is super nice and knows a ton of stuff. Seeing his shop and cars is super fun. Usually a fairly large turnout. Can't go wrong with free coffee and donuts. It's every month on the third Saturday, so if you can't make it this time, come next month.

Also, welcome to 914 World and good luck with your car!
+Quote Post
eamesonly
post May 15 2019, 09:12 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 11 2019, 11:47 AM) *

Clay

That's awesome I may take you up on that Clay!
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 16 2019, 02:20 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(eamesonly @ May 11 2019, 04:18 AM) *

I had a 914 engine complete rebuild from a very top German car place new 96mm pistons, 44mm weber carbs, etc. And once completed I asked them if they changed the gas lines. They said we checked them and they were good. They told me put a 1000 miles on it and bring it back. I got to 900 and was driving. The engine hesitated and as I went up the hilll I could see flames in the rear window. Right behind my head. This was about six years ago. Turns out the gas line in the engine bay were bad.

In the time since life has happened and things never really took hold. Now they're going to get it back and going.

I need a few things one new engine deck lid. New locking mechanism for the ignition? What do you recommend?

Also will keep the group updated on the progress. I think I paid about 3k for the car and had about 6k into it.

Carbs should rebuild ok if not too melted,plenty of parts around besides,while apart check your vent size is right,44's are big carbs for a motor your size,and normally sized with 36mm vents out of the box.
If this way you will need to drop your idle and mains jets down,drop your vents to 32mm ,then get the best fuel hose and FI clamps you can buy,next find that so called mechanic and kick his ass...what a dick.
Good Luck.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:00 AM