Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A question about the factory backpad, Is there a good way to raise it a bit?
horizontally-opposed
post May 19 2019, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

So my 914's backpad sits just below the rubber seal on the engine lid side of the rear glass—creating an ugly eye into the space under said seal as well as the butyl tape. In the past, I've hidden that gap with electrical tape "artfully" placed, but it ain't pretty.

Looks like I am not the first to do so…
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=backpad

Wondering if there is a better way. Has anyone moved the backed up a bit to sit high enough to match up with the engine lid seal on the other side of the back window?

Thanks!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 19 2019, 09:06 PM
Post #2

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

The first???? LOL How old are you?

Be sure it's actually in its proper place. There are tabs to align it. Sounds like not all of the tabs have been aligned / hooked in right.

Rust changes our geometry, but a backpad? Nope. It has to be a simple error in placement.

Trivia question: When removing, do you slide it down or up? The answer could explain a lot.
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 19 2019, 09:13 PM
Post #3

Cross Member

Please do not use electrical tape on these anymore unless your car is seriously roached.
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 19 2019, 09:16 PM
Post #4

Cross Member

There are rubber spacers to hold your window as you apply new butyl. Align the window in the frame first. I can't speak to the other misalignments.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 19 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 20 2019, 02:44 PM) *

So my 914's backpad sits just below the rubber seal on the engine lid side of the rear glass—creating an ugly eye into the space under said seal as well as the butyl tape. In the past, I've hidden that gap with electrical tape "artfully" placed, but it ain't pretty.

Looks like I am not the first to do so…
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=backpad

Wondering if there is a better way. Has anyone moved the backed up a bit to sit high enough to match up with the engine lid seal on the other side of the back window?

Thanks!!

Hard to sort really you will need to peel back the covering and move the metal (clip in) brackets @ the top,mines kinda like that but depends on the crappy cardboard liner is to how much it won't fit,I fiberglassed mine from the back and added soundproofing pretty much sorted fit wise.
Classic answer from Rand between him and the logo we always have silly replies to entertain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) .
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 19 2019, 10:16 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

^ Thanks. Moving the metal clips...I like that idea.

Rand is on fire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whip[1].gif) Now just waiting on Larmo.
+Quote Post
don-6
post May 19 2019, 10:21 PM
Post #7

Stock vs Modified?

Member No.: 17,219
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have used electrical tape on two different cars to give a nice clean line behind the back pad. I don't like to see an uneven line of butyl tape in the window.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 19 2019, 11:30 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 20 2019, 04:16 PM) *

^ Thanks. Moving the metal clips...I like that idea.

Rand is on fire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whip[1].gif) Now just waiting on Larmo.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) ,yes but Lawrence has gone all shy lately,lastest replys have been very tame (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) .
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 19 2019, 11:50 PM
Post #9

Cross Member

Damned jalapenos. I need at least a couple a day.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 20 2019, 04:25 AM
Post #10

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
windforfun
post May 20 2019, 10:46 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,476

Some pics would be nice. I wouldn't move the clips. IIRC, the pad loads from below. You must also align the two bottom holes where it's attached with coarse thread sheet metal screws.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 20 2019, 09:15 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(don-6 @ May 19 2019, 09:21 PM) *

I have used electrical tape on two different cars to give a nice clean line behind the back pad. I don't like to see an uneven line of butyl tape in the window.

Yep, been there and done that—and also hate seeing the butyl tape as well as the "gap" under the engine lid seal plus a bit of body color. Looks cheap...

Interesting that the CW thread referenced in the first post shows that electrical tape is the preferred method of the factory, as seen in the manual—I decided to do just that (without the manual) years ago, but notice that electrical tape changes with heat, etc. Wondering if there's a better way, one that raises the backpad and the bar a bit.

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 19 2019, 10:30 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) ,yes but Lawrence has gone all shy lately,lastest replys have been very tame (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) .

Yes, I remember worrying that Lawrence might have "peaked" with "I even brushed my teeth." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 20 2019, 03:25 AM) *

Yep. Comin' right up... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

QUOTE(windforfun @ May 20 2019, 09:46 AM) *

Some pics would be nice. I wouldn't move the clips. IIRC, the pad loads from below. You must also align the two bottom holes where it's attached with coarse thread sheet metal screws.

Agree on not moving the clips. I think.

As for the bottom of my back pad? Well it is, uh, let's call it "unstable." (The boards down there have seen better days. Not terrible, but not factory fresh. I don't think it's bad enough to prompt me to rebuild the whole thing, and I don't have problems with the back pad moving around when I am driving or otherwise...I'd just like to get it to sit a bit higher.)

My recollection is the pad is pushed up from the bottom as well, and all of that works okay. What I am surprised by is that the factory seems to be okay with using electrical tape across the bottom of the glass, rather than having the back pad engineered/designed to come up to match the height of the engine lid seal on the other side of the glass...hence my request for other 914world members to weigh in with what their back pads look like. Pics would be great!

As for my pics...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 20 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 20 2019, 09:20 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 20 2019, 09:23 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I'm an outlaw and I don't run a back pad.

But to your issue, if you raise the pad, the four lower screws won't index.

I'm doing Perlon behind my seats, and sorry to disappoint, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I don't even have a smartass comment to offer....
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 20 2019, 11:02 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 20 2019, 08:23 PM) *

I'm an outlaw and I don't run a back pad.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

But to your issue, if you raise the pad, the four lower screws won't index.

Pretty sure those got indexed into a trash can or one of those dishes with all of the "leftover" hardware a long, long time ago. Will dig in and look soon...

I'm doing Perlon behind my seats…

I may end up following you down that road. Do you move your dome light, or just ditch it? Been wondering about running a small LED or two in the vinyl pad over the rear window, pointing forward, if I go this way. Would also be great to cut an access hole in the firewall. We'll see…

…and sorry to disappoint, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) I don't even have a smartass comment to offer....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 21 2019, 07:36 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

No back pad light with the Perlon. I've been thinking of other ways to have light in the cab.

Perhaps a 911 rocker type light under the dash?
+Quote Post
Literati914
post May 21 2019, 08:33 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

maybe the bottom of the glass could be painted... but that'd be more practical during a restoration.

Also, I've thought of adding a couple a areas with heavy duty industrial velcro behind the pad, particularly low and in the corner because that area tends to lift in all the 914s I've had. But I could see it also helping to keep the pad lifted - particularly since it's installed by pushing UP into the clips.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post May 21 2019, 08:47 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 8,476

Here's an old pic that's not super clear. Anyway, I used three pieces of tape - 6" long pieces on either side for a nice flush fit & then one long continuous piece centered in the middle.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 21 2019, 09:59 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 21 2019, 07:33 AM) *

maybe the bottom of the glass could be painted... but that'd be more practical during a restoration.

Also, I've thought of adding a couple a areas with heavy duty industrial velcro behind the pad, particularly low and in the corner because that area tends to lift in all the 914s I've had. But I could see it also helping to keep the pad lifted - particularly since it's installed by pushing UP into the clips.

Thought about painting it, too, and came to the same conclusion. May also be scratch-prone in a way that the tape isn't?

I'm beginning to wonder about the method of the clips, as they are likely the limiting factor. Need to think about how the sides of the back pad will interface with the targa bar sides if it is lifted, as well as what all of it will look like the seats in (in my case Scheels, and with the driver's side seat frame lowered.

Perlon is sounding better by the keystroke, but I do like the design of the original backpad—kind of seems like part of the 914's overall design, as well as the period in general, to me. Then again...914-6 GT.

QUOTE(windforfun @ May 21 2019, 07:47 AM) *

Here's an old pic that's not super clear. Anyway, I used three pieces of tape - 6" long pieces on either side for a nice flush fit & then one long continuous piece centered in the middle.

Thanks for the pic! Looks about the same as mine. Wish I had taken some time at Luft to look at this detail across a number of 914s.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:37 PM