Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GT hardline love
mepstein
post May 23 2019, 02:03 PM
Post #1

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I’ll skip the unboxing video and the drooling (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) video but had to post a pic.
I asked for natural stainless steel just to be a little different. There are rumors that my chassis might get worked on so I wanted to have these to make the right holes in the right places.

Thanks for making these Ben (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 23 2019, 02:33 PM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Beautiful work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post May 23 2019, 03:29 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

Best start for a great cooler install.
And stainless too !
Excelllent.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 23 2019, 05:00 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Man, that looks great. Love the stainless.

Ben, have an alternate question: Has anyone ever done a "trombone" style oil cooler for the 914's front fender (or fenders) like the old 911 coolers?

Bruce Anderson always used to say they were among the best 911 oil coolers, and I've always wondered if doing something like that for one or both of the 914's front fenders might be worthwhile, particularly if an "extra extra" loop that went over to the driver's side lived just behind the front valance or an LE spoiler. Just a thought, but might be cool for those who need cooling but don't want to lose the front trunk.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 23 2019, 05:31 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 23 2019, 07:00 PM) *

Man, that looks great. Love the stainless.

Ben, have an alternate question: Has anyone ever done a "trombone" style oil cooler for the 914's front fender (or fenders) like the old 911 coolers?

Bruce Anderson always used to say they were among the best 911 oil coolers, and I've always wondered if doing something like that for one or both of the 914's front fenders might be worthwhile, particularly if an "extra extra" loop that went over to the driver's side lived just behind the front valance or an LE spoiler. Just a thought, but might be cool for those who need cooling but don't want to lose the front trunk.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I don’t know why he would say they were the best when they can’t compete with a good modern cooler. The numbers don’t work if you look at surface area and then the ability to add a low profile fan. I would add one or two small oil coolers with fan packs to the rear of the car. Not the most efficient but neither is the cooler on the engine. It should increase oil cooling without the hassle and expense of a front cooler.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 23 2019, 05:50 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

I think his take was that they were "among the best" rather than the best. I'd have to reach back in the memory files, but I believe his viewpoint was that the later Carrera 3.2 (radiator style) coolers were better at speed (and thus favored in Germany), but that there were a lot of situations in America where the loop coolers were more effective.

In any event, the fact that Porsche used the loop coolers for as long as they did suggests they did work fairly well—probably because they added capacity more than anything else, but I suspect also because they were located in reasonably "windy" spots.

And, unlike a 911, the 914's pinched front fender humps don't leave room for the typical radiator-style coolers + fans. Plenty of room for artfully laid out tubes, however...
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 23 2019, 06:34 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Michael/Cairo’s car came with a homemade tube cooler in back of the front bumper.

I always thought a small cooler in each of the fog light locations would work pretty well. Engine grill material as a screen.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:44 AM