Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
> WANTED: a project car in California and surrounding states
kutsyy
post Jun 5 2019, 12:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,179
Region Association: Northern California

My 16 years old daughter (and I) is looking for a 914 project car to work on. She is looking to buy one under 5K and really wants to work on mechanics and not cosmetics.

If anyone has 914 with good, not rusty body but an engine needing work it would be great (but willing to listen to other combinations). We are in San Francisco area but I am willing to drive anywhere in California and surrounding states to pick it up.

Thanks, Alice & Vadim.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
914xr75
post Jun 5 2019, 03:53 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,996
Region Association: Southern California

Sacramento Craigslist has a 74 2.0 project for $4,500. Not sure if it's still available but the ad is still up. if you do get it you owe me a ride.
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jun 7 2019, 08:46 AM
Post #3

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

I think if you increase your budget a bit and buy something a bit better to start with that you'll be happier in the long run. Vintage cars are always an ongoing project, but there is a huge difference between maintenance/upgrade and a salvage operation! Since you are local you may have already seen this ad, but it is worth checking out if you can go a bit higher or you are a good negotiator. I'd be looking at it right now if I had the space for it...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/redw...6901055129.html

Hard to find a rust free 49K mile car, if that truly is what it is.
+Quote Post
Beancat
post Jun 7 2019, 11:18 AM
Post #4

I'm new here ...

Member No.: 23,196
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(kutsyy @ Jun 5 2019, 01:10 AM) *

My 16 years old daughter (and I) is looking for a 914 project car to work on. She is looking to buy one under 5K and really wants to work on mechanics and not cosmetics.

If anyone has 914 with good, not rusty body but an engine needing work it would be great (but willing to listen to other combinations). We are in San Francisco area but I am willing to drive anywhere in California and surrounding states to pick it up.

Thanks, Alice & Vadim.

Located in Las Vegas-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254247763202
+Quote Post
kutsyy
post Jun 7 2019, 11:48 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 23,179

QUOTE(fiacra @ Jun 7 2019, 07:46 AM) *

I think if you increase your budget a bit and buy something a bit better to start with that you'll be happier in the long run. Vintage cars are always an ongoing project, but there is a huge difference between maintenance/upgrade and a salvage operation! Since you are local you may have already seen this ad, but it is worth checking out if you can go a bit higher or you are a good negotiator. I'd be looking at it right now if I had the space for it...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/redw...6901055129.html

Hard to find a rust free 49K mile car, if that truly is what it is.

I actually seen that car, back when it was listed at 18K. It is a nice clean car, but current owner seems to be playing some kind of game, and based on the oil under the engine, it is not 49K (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif).
+Quote Post
carl k
post Jun 7 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,440
Region Association: None

I actually seen that car, back when it was listed at 18K. It is a nice clean car, but current owner seems to be playing some kind of game, and based on the oil under the engine, it is not 49K (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif).
[/quote]

When that ad first appeared, he was asking $12.5K, then it went to $18K the next day because he thought it had factory air. Now it's at a more realistic price.

+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jun 8 2019, 12:34 PM
Post #7

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

[quote name='carl k' date='Jun 7 2019, 12:42 PM' post='2720538']
[/quote]

When that ad first appeared, he was asking $12.5K, then it went to $18K the next day because he thought it had factory air. Now it's at a more realistic price.
[/quote]

Yeah, can't stand the people who play games. I've walked away from many a car/appliance, etc. that seemed like it was a good deal simply because I didn't trust the seller. Gotta listen to your instincts......

Having said that, the mechanics of a car are much more fixable than rust!!! It seems like you are looking for a mechanical project, so don't be dissuaded by engine issues. Also, seems like you already have a spare engine on your parts car (if it's the same one I thought about buying that car as well and I'm glad you did!!!). These engines are notoriously leaky so oil on the engine is not always an indicator of age/mileage, but is an indicator of "deferred" maintenance. My 63K mile car (documented with paperwork, phone calls to PO's, etc.) was covered in oil from a leaky oil cooler seal. Once cleaned it looked like near new. Look elsewhere for signs of wear (pedal pads, carpet, seats, etc...).

If you are not sure what to look at go for a prepurchase inspection. Seems like a lot of people on this forum are willing to help you and and take a look. For a more formal inspection I'd recommend Eason Auto in Oakland. You can also talk to Bill Eason as he will broker cars as well. Let him know what you are looking for and he often can help out. He is a 914 Guru, and last time I was at his shop there were 4 914's there, including a 914-6. I think his business model is shifting a bit to focus on higher end Porsche's as let's face it that's where the majority of the money is. He's not cheap, but he is honest and that's worth every penny you spend. www.easonauto.com
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:45 AM