Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cover for hole under Gas Tank and Seal around Steering column?, Wondering what fills the hole and gap
Spoke
post Jun 11 2019, 05:45 PM
Post #21

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

I welded up the hole for access to the fuel tank lines. Not needed if an extra 3 feet of hose is added to loop under the tank. Now no need to drain the tank to pull it out.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sketchc13
post Jun 12 2019, 11:28 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,675
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 11 2019, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2019, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 11 2019, 02:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2019, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 11 2019, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(sketchc13 @ Jun 11 2019, 10:47 AM) *

Thanks Gents - no cover for the hole and a gap around the steering column boot to the bulkhead it is.

It just kinda surprises me thats the original solution cuz that steering rack cover doesn't really seal up the area from below. Definitely enough to keep the water and debris out, but not really dust and critters.

Anyway, mystery solve for me. Thanks!

Well dangit, I was hoping you'd come up with a clever solution because I agree with you this is a problem. Where I live, leaving a car outside just 30 minutes after dark is guaranteed to get rodents in the car. I've been looking at those gaping mouse portals and wondering how to deal with them myself.

You can’t seal most cars against mice. They can get through a 1/4-1/2” opening.

Yes, but that opening is particularly inviting. I'm a wildlife biologist and the shape and size of that area would make a darn good design for a nest box or shelter designed to attract many small mammals. I actually had a weasel living in that area of my car before I pulled my car out of hibernation. I like weasels, but less so in the car. I totally agree with the futility of making a car rodent "proof", but rodent "resistant" is doable.

Is there anything to put in or under the car that keeps them away, other than a cat.

There are a few rodent repellents that can work but they don't last very long. I was using a product called Fresh Cab in my work truck that is always parked outside with good results for awhile. The stuff only remains effective for a month or two though and isn't cheap so I gave up and now my truck smells like mouse pee again. That was really asking too much from a repellent though. For a car stored inside, it would probably provide enough deterrent to keep the occasional mouse away.

Steel wool is excellent for plugging holes because rodents won't chew it, but of course, not good for nice cars where you'd rather prohibit rust than promote it. The two problems with cats are that they like to jump up on cars and they kill 1-4 billion birds in the U.S. every year so not an environmentally friendly form of pest control if allowed to run free. They're great inside garages and barns though.

Beyond a well-sealed building to store our cars in, I think just keeping seals in good shape and rust holes plugged so the mice at least have to work to get in the car is the most practical bet. Overall, I think our 914s are an excellent design from a rodent resistance standpoint. The only real problem spot I've seen is that stinkin' hole under the fuel tank. That's just a welcome mat for mice to set up shop in a spot that is a real PITA to clean out.

I too was hoping a solution that didn't require an ongoing investment in a cat, critter repellent, or extra attention to sealing up the garage... which... when renting is not so appealing.

One idea I did have was to see if one of the lids, see picture, would be the right size.... but I'm not sure of the diameter of this one or the other "lids" throughout the vehicle which are mysteriously placed for some seemingly unknown reason....

(Image sourced from Auto Atlanta)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 12 2019, 12:33 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(sketchc13 @ Jun 12 2019, 11:28 AM) *

One idea I did have was to see if one of the lids, see picture, would be the right size.... but I'm not sure of the diameter of this one or the other "lids" throughout the vehicle which are mysteriously placed for some seemingly unknown reason....

Hmmm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I just did a very quick and not too precise measurement, but I think you may be in the ball park. The hole looks to be in the neighborhood 97.5 mm and measuring one of the floor pan holes (not precise because plug, sealer, and undercoating are in place) it looks to be close to the same. I might still have the old floor pan in the scrap pile. If so, I'll try to get a better measurement.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 12 2019, 01:29 PM
Post #24

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

something like this.....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sketchc13
post Jun 12 2019, 03:06 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 12 2019, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(sketchc13 @ Jun 12 2019, 11:28 AM) *

Hmmm. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I just did a very quick and not too precise measurement, but I think you may be in the ball park. The hole looks to be in the neighborhood 97.5 mm and measuring one of the floor pan holes (not precise because plug, sealer, and undercoating are in place) it looks to be close to the same. I might still have the old floor pan in the scrap pile. If so, I'll try to get a better measurement.

That sounds pretty promising actually. The hole that is there is 99-100 mm in diameter. So maybe.... it could be worth a shot. I'd be willing to order one up and see how it fits if it seems worth the attempt.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 12 2019, 03:33 PM
Post #26

914 Guru

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 12 2019, 01:29 PM) *

something like this.....

That would really be ideal. 1/4" SS screen would be the perfect barrier. The perfect solution would be a round plastic or rubber gasket that snaps into the hole and with an inside groove or other way to hold the screen in place. The beauty of that would be it would be easily removable if you ever wanted that access hole to reach something.That has 914Rubber written all over it @mikey914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thinking about the cover plate some more, it looks like you'd either have to notch the hole to be able to lock the cover plate tangs in, or glue it in place. Both of those are a little more permanent for my taste.
+Quote Post
mlindner
post Jun 12 2019, 04:02 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 13,770
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just get some aluminum, cut a paper template and revet in. The picture only shows my top holes to fill but did the same on the hole you mentioned. Best, MarkAttached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 14 2019, 02:11 PM
Post #28

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

I actually have a profile that may lend itself to this. Wanna drop me a template for the hole? If you do I can get this done next week.
Thansk,
Mark
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 14 2019, 04:01 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 14 2019, 02:11 PM) *

I actually have a profile that may lend itself to this. Wanna drop me a template for the hole? If you do I can get this done next week.
Thansk,
Mark

Cool! I'd be happy to make a template but I just did some more careful measurement with the protective welting removed. It is a 99.5mm diameter circle. Simple as that.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 15 2019, 12:55 PM
Post #30

The rubber man

I can do this Tuesdsy PM me your adress.
Thanks.
Mark
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 16 2019, 08:54 AM
Post #31

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 15 2019, 12:55 PM) *

Thanks.
Mark

Very cool! Not sure who you are requesting the PM from, but since @sketchc13 was the OP on this topic, so the prototype should go to him for testing.
+Quote Post
sketchc13
post Jun 16 2019, 07:38 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 16 2019, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 15 2019, 12:55 PM) *

Thanks.
Mark

Very cool! Not sure who you are requesting the PM from, but since @sketchc13 was the OP on this topic, so the prototype should go to him for testing.

That'd be great @Mikey914! Didn't check in on this thread for a couple days. Happy to put it in and post some pictures and thoughts. I'll send you a PM if you haven't already send one along to bbrock. If so, I'm happy to wait.

Thanks for doing the measurements @bbrock!

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 19 2019, 04:07 PM
Post #33

The rubber man

I was able to use the air tube bulkhead grommet and add some 2 sided tape. The grill material I have is maybe not the best but I'm leaving it unstuck so you could use the material of your choice.

Mark
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 21 2019, 01:58 PM
Post #34

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

here is what I did to 4 914s, today, vents $2 a piece, shipping was $8, but the local store only had louvered ones , and I wanted screen.. So here it is modified with pliers, then some body dumdum, press against body,bend tabs over,,, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I live out by farm land , so I get all kinds of little vistors looking for a good place to hide...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 22 2019, 01:13 AM
Post #35

The rubber man

Made you a "grommet" with the option to use the grill section I provided or your own. Love to see how this works for you.
+Quote Post
sketchc13
post Jun 22 2019, 12:37 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 21 2019, 02:58 PM) *

here is what I did to 4 914s, today, vents $2 a piece, shipping was $8, but the local store only had louvered ones , and I wanted screen.. So here it is modified with pliers, then some body dumdum, press against body,bend tabs over,,, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I live out by farm land , so I get all kinds of little vistors looking for a good place to hide...

Good idea! Might be the way to go.

Also... did you do anything for the gap around the steering column boot and body?
+Quote Post
sketchc13
post Jun 22 2019, 12:38 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 22 2019, 02:13 AM) *

Made you a "grommet" with the option to use the grill section I provided or your own. Love to see how this works for you.

Great, once I get it I’ll fit it up and get some pics and thoughts up.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 22 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #38

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 11 2019, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2019, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 11 2019, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(sketchc13 @ Jun 11 2019, 10:47 AM) *

Thanks Gents - no cover for the hole and a gap around the steering column boot to the bulkhead it is.

It just kinda surprises me thats the original solution cuz that steering rack cover doesn't really seal up the area from below. Definitely enough to keep the water and debris out, but not really dust and critters.

Anyway, mystery solve for me. Thanks!

Well dangit, I was hoping you'd come up with a clever solution because I agree with you this is a problem. Where I live, leaving a car outside just 30 minutes after dark is guaranteed to get rodents in the car. I've been looking at those gaping mouse portals and wondering how to deal with them myself.

You can’t seal most cars against mice. They can get through a 1/4-1/2” opening.

Yes, but that opening is particularly inviting. I'm a wildlife biologist and the shape and size of that area would make a darn good design for a nest box or shelter designed to attract many small mammals. I actually had a weasel living in that area of my car before I pulled my car out of hibernation. I like weasels, but less so in the car. I totally agree with the futility of making a car rodent "proof", but rodent "resistant" is doable.

I took a year of my college at wwsc now wwsu in Bellingham and took a great field biology class. They had us simply bury cans up to the rim across campus in late afternoon. In the morning they were full of mice sitting happily under the cotton with the apple slice left to tide them over. The point I learned was the density of mice! My wife had a Honda that was so quickly replenished with seeds and bedding underthe hood that i can only conclude that the mice were running errands with her. Not sure what they must have thought of the rides. Squirrels on the other hand simply leave walnuts stacked on the exhaust. Lots of walnuts.
+Quote Post
sketchc13
post Jun 23 2019, 09:20 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(sketchc13 @ Jun 22 2019, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 22 2019, 02:13 AM) *

Great, once I get it I’ll fit it up and get some pics and thoughts up.

@Mikey914 - The OD of the grommet is the same as the diameter of the hole unfortunately so it drops right through. Doesn’t seem to be a quick solution. Have any other ideas?

@sixnotfour - I may try to source one of those screens. Looks pretty good. Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 23 2019, 09:35 AM
Post #40

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 11 2019, 04:45 PM) *

I welded up the hole for access to the fuel tank lines. Not needed if an extra 3 feet of hose is added to loop under the tank. Now no need to drain the tank to pull it out.

You will regret that.

Obviously the access hole is there to connect the fuel lines. Folks here who have thought they were clever by adding 3 feet to the fuel lines quickly discover that the extra length easily kinks and cuts off fuel flow. Then they pull out the tank...again...and go back to short lines as originally designed.

And trying to lift a tank with fuel in it is much harder than when its empty.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:28 AM