Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Straighten a bent trailing arm?, Can't align to within spec, Driver's rear measures bent
rnellums
post Jun 14 2019, 10:23 AM
Post #1

Professional Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hey all,

I've got some issues aligning my flared 914. With the drivers rear at the limit of travel I'm still quite a bit toe out. Measurements of the hub-pivot distance are a bit longer on the drivers vs. the passenger rear.

the bend isn't visually noticeable, but its there. Has anyone had luck trueing it up or should I just find another trailing arm and move on?

Thanks!
-Ross
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Jun 14 2019, 10:28 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,459
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jun 14 2019, 12:23 PM) *

Hey all,

I've got some issues aligning my flared 914. With the drivers rear at the limit of travel I'm still quite a bit toe out. Measurements of the hub-pivot distance are a bit longer on the drivers vs. the passenger rear.

the bend isn't visually noticeable, but its there. Has anyone had luck trueing it up or should I just find another trailing arm and move on?

Thanks!
-Ross

I would think it would be easier, cheaper and faster to just get another used control arm if it is in fact bent.

I would also check the inner control arm mount to make sure it is in the right location and is not cracked.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jun 14 2019, 10:29 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I think TangeringeRacing (RacerChris) can help you out with that. Or roll the dice on a used one and hope it's not bent either.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jun 14 2019, 10:34 AM
Post #4

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(jkb944t @ Jun 14 2019, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jun 14 2019, 12:23 PM) *

Hey all,

Thanks!
-Ross

I would think it would be easier, cheaper and faster to just get another used control arm if it is in fact bent.

I would also check the inner control arm mount to make sure it is in the right location and is not cracked.

Jeff B

Easier - maybe, but ill have to swap over the hub, my polybronze bushings, and the bearings (if I can save them)

Cheaper - maybe, but I'd have the cost of a new arm and shipping, likely a new rear bearing, potentially new polybronze bushings. it definitely adds up.

Faster - agreed.

I just had the suspension off and the inner mounts are good (and have additional bracing welded on). always a good idea to check though!
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Jun 14 2019, 09:29 AM) *

I think TangeringeRacing (RacerChris) can help you out with that. Or roll the dice on a used one and hope it's not bent either.

That was kind of my thinking. there is a decent chance I buy and arm and it arrives bent too. Probably ought to give Chris a call.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Jun 14 2019, 10:51 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

The general industry opinion is that bent suspension component should not be straightened.
The concern is that the original bend weakens the component and straightening it weakens it more. So pretty much no shop will straighten a bent suspension component due to liability
Tangerine Racing cuts and re-enforces the rear arms and uses a jig so they are straight when complete. I don't think they straighten bent arms but they will tell you what can be done.

Used arms are available but you can't really tell if they are straight until you try to align the car, unless you have access to a jig.

Jim
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jun 14 2019, 12:22 PM
Post #6

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jun 14 2019, 11:34 AM) *

That was kind of my thinking. there is a decent chance I buy and arm and it arrives bent too. Probably ought to give Chris a call.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Chris can likely sell you a known straight arm at the least since he has jigging to check.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 16 2019, 07:37 AM
Post #7

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jun 14 2019, 01:22 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Chris can likely sell you a known straight arm at the least since he has jigging to check.

I don't have any spares. They aren't hard to measure as long as you have a way to secure a pivot shaft elevated 6" above a work surface and perfectly level.
+Quote Post
guywan914
post Jun 16 2019, 10:29 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,112

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jun 16 2019, 05:37 AM) *

I don't have any spares. They aren't hard to measure as long as you have a way to secure a pivot shaft elevated 6" above a work surface and perfectly level.

I have three that I could drop off to Chris if you wanted to have him check them. Which side do you need?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 16 2019, 10:50 AM
Post #9

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Many years ago someone had made a jig to quickly drop them in and check for bendage. I even remember a detailed diagram with all the measurements.

But of course now i can't find either here ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 16 2019, 01:23 PM
Post #10

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 16 2019, 12:50 PM) *

Many years ago someone had made a jig to quickly drop them in and check for bendage. I even remember a detailed diagram with all the measurements.

I would think that one or two basic measurements would get you close to knowing if they are good or not.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Jun 29 2019, 09:17 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

Further to the posts above, can anyone provide the procedure and measurements for checking their trailing arms? I need to check mine prior to restoring them (or replacing if they are bent).
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jun 29 2019, 10:17 AM
Post #12

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(guywan914 @ Jun 16 2019, 09:29 AM) *

QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jun 16 2019, 05:37 AM) *

I have three that I could drop off to Chris if you wanted to have him check them. Which side do you need?

Drivers side if you have one!

Don’t know how I missed your reply, sorry for the delay!!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 16 2019, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 16 2019, 12:50 PM) *

I would think that one or two basic measurements would get you close to knowing if they are good or not.

I measured from the pivot point to the center of the axle hub. The right side measured 1/4 inch further than the passenger. I want to say I found a thread that suggested they be 405mm? My measurements weren’t precise, but Close enough to see a difference.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:40 PM