Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bay Area help needed....., Experienced with 3.2 conversions?? Please call...
BuddyV
post Jun 14 2019, 08:44 PM
Post #1

Robert

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,898
Region Association: Northern California

I have a "new to me" 3.2 in my 914. Left me stranded a few too many times..... and now I have dropped mad-money on professional mechanics that claimed they solved the
st-t-t-t-t-t-tarting issue..... only to leave me stranded again.

The car now sits. I frustrated. But the car runs well when it starts, so I need to learn what is going on.

I'm turning to my World Community....... anyone in the Bay Area willing to meet me and take a look at my car? If you know a thing or two about a 3.2 conversion you know a thing (and possibly two) more than me.

Willing to pay for your time..... This car is BITCHIN..... but we need to find the starting issue.

Reach out to me via text or call: (707) 888-1857

Robert

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 14 2019, 09:28 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(BuddyV @ Jun 14 2019, 07:44 PM) *

I have a "new to me" 3.2 in my 914. Left me stranded a few too many times..... and now I have dropped mad-money on professional mechanics that claimed they solved the

The car now sits. I frustrated. But the car runs well when it starts, so I need to learn what is going on.

I'm turning to my World Community....... anyone in the Bay Area willing to meet me and take a look at my car? If you know a thing or two about a 3.2 conversion you know a thing (and possibly two) more than me.

Willing to pay for your time..... This car is BITCHIN..... but we need to find the starting issue.

Robert

Mine left me stranded a couple of times. I just swapped both flywheel sensors, head sensor and upgraded back to the heavy duty Bosch fuel pump. Now my car seems super reliable. Just did the WCR with no problems.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Jun 14 2019, 10:02 PM
Post #3

Robert

QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 14 2019, 08:28 PM) *

QUOTE(BuddyV @ Jun 14 2019, 07:44 PM) *

Robert

Mine left me stranded a couple of times. I just swapped both flywheel sensors, head sensor and upgraded back to the heavy duty Bosch fuel pump. Now my car seems super reliable. Just did the WCR with no problems.

Saw your car at WCR - AWESOME.

I have replaced BOTH sensors..... no improvement. I'm trying to avoid just swapping out parts.

Losing spark intermittently (spelling??)

+Quote Post
jcd914
post Jun 14 2019, 10:52 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

Intermittent or inconstant problems are always difficult.

The basics, you need compression, air, fuel and spark for it to start and run.
Does the starter engage and crank the engine over?
Have you checked for spark?
Have you checked for fuel?

From talking at WCR I know you have done some testing but don't recall what.

Jim

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 14 2019, 11:04 PM
Post #5

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Never heard of a DME really intermittently going out, but at $35 to replace, I’d consider it...
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Jun 15 2019, 12:16 AM
Post #6

Robert

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 14 2019, 10:04 PM) *

Never heard of a DME really intermittently going out, but at $35 to replace, I’d consider it...

My first move was to replace the DME relay (I figured that i could always use it as a spare)...... the car did fire soon after replacing..... but didn't idle well. Then died and failed to start.

The crank sensors were replaced next.... no start.

When it failed at my mechanic, it did lose spark.

+Quote Post
dr.tim
post Jun 15 2019, 06:10 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,907
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have had issues with tired insulation in the engine harness. Specifically near the speed / TDC sensor connections. A little wiggle there would often get the engine to start, but replacing the connector and resheathing the wires nearby resolved that issue.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 15 2019, 06:12 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

DME are usually binary, either good or bad.

Had to troubleshoot with the limited information but sounds intermittent and thus harness / grounds / connections.

Any good vintage 911 shop should be able to handle this, should be multiple options in NoCal.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 15 2019, 06:45 AM
Post #9

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Hey Robert - The shop that did the final assembly on my 3.2 with the factory Motronic injection is Aase in Fullerton. Allen is the mechanic and when we met he was able to just look at the parts I brought and immediately know what was missing.

My engine and transaxle are now all assembled and awaiting installation into my car. I am hoping this happens in the next 2 weeks, give or take. Give them a call: 714.770.8187; 1104 E. Elm Avenue, Fullerton, CA 92831. When I was in their shop all of the car swore vintage Porsche with about 5-6 race cars parked out front.

It was great seeing you at WCR- I wish I had been able to stay for the Sunday events.
Cheers,
Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jun 15 2019, 08:41 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

I bet the guys at Hi Tech in San Rafael could figure it out. They work on older stuff all the time. I don't think being a conversion car would confuse them. You can trust them as well. Deven and Dana run the place and are two of the mechanics there. Other good brains work there too.
+Quote Post
cali914
post Jun 15 2019, 01:34 PM
Post #11

cali914

Member No.: 5,934

Ben at Retrosport in Richmond. I know he can solve the problem. 510-508-4300
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Jun 15 2019, 11:16 PM
Post #12

Robert

Thank you for the local recommendations, guys.

Considering this is most likely an electrical issue, I am more comfortable getting a trained set of eyes to resolve this for me.... I can handle more mechanical things for fun.

I like the two local recommendations..... I will stop by and have a chat and see if we hit it off.

I will report back once I have this beast back n the road!

Cheers!
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Jun 16 2019, 12:07 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 22,446

Have you checked the ignition switch? Just a thought.
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Jun 16 2019, 04:41 PM
Post #14

Robert

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jun 15 2019, 11:07 PM) *

Have you checked the ignition switch? Just a thought.

Car cranks fine..... just won't start.

Ignition switch provides the cranking, right?
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jun 16 2019, 05:40 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

Make sure that you have the newer (superceded) cyl head temp sensor. AND my 3.2 had an untraceable gremlin which turned out to be the distributor shaft. Since it's motronic, during tune ups you may replace the cap/rotor...but you need to check the dist shaft + surrounding area under the metal plate. My dist shaft failed due to age, dirt and apparently loss of lubrication>> which caused an irregular spark.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 16 2019, 06:18 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

^ Marty's advice is worthwhile, as is advice to make SURE you've got great grounding everywhere.

Steve at de Jung Motorsports in Cotati is one of the best electrical troubleshooters I've seen—solving a problem on my father's car that vexed the dealer who had better equipment—but I've heard he isn't looking for new clients. If your 914 car needs more sorting as well as this issue resolved and you want someone with a lot of experience with conversions, I'd call John Holleran at Holleran's Performance. It's a schlep since he moved up to the Sierra Nevada foothills, but he's done at least a dozen six conversions and knows these cars inside and out. Been working on them for 30+ years, yet is young and knows his stuff.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jun 16 2019, 07:20 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Robert - let me know if you need a ride to/from anywhere. I'd love to see Holleran's shop...
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 16 2019, 08:06 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

My problem didn’t show up until the motor was hot (20-30) minutes of driving. Engine would just die, pull to the side of the road, rest for five minutes, it would then start right back up and run for another 1/4 of a mile. Rinse and repeat. At home it past all tests in the Bentley manual. Fuel pressure and all volt and ohm tests were normal. Talked to various people. They all said sensors. Swapped both flywheel sensors and head sensor and now it runs great. My engine is an original Euro 1984 3.2 motor with original sensors, so it made sense to just swap them out. This problem started after replacing the fuel cell with a stock tank and stock 3.2 aftermarket pump. So i also double checked the tank and went back to a heavy duty Bosch pump.
BOSCH 0 580 254 044
I also had a separate issue where the motor when hot and idling, the engine would hunt up and down from 500-1500 rpms. Very annoying. There was an article on Pelican on how to clean the idle control valve. It helped a little bit but the issue came back. I installed a new idle control valve and the problem never came back. Car idles and runs great.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jun 16 2019, 11:59 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

...also check the grounding tab located on the intake runner, just about where the ign distributor is...has about 5 brown-insulated ground wires fastened down there. Have a good tech check your motronic ecu...It should be the same year as the 3.2 engine (matched).
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 17 2019, 07:36 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 16 2019, 10:59 PM) *

...also check the grounding tab located on the intake runner, just about where the ign distributor is...has about 5 brown-insulated ground wires fastened down there. Have a good tech check your motronic ecu...It should be the same year as the 3.2 engine (matched).

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Grounds and power are very important to 3.2 and 3.6 fuel injection. I had a knob type battery disconnect that oxidized and also created similar issues.
I also still need to replace my ignition switch. Sometimes I turn the key and it won’t turn over, very intermittent. I’ve had this car since 1986 and the ignition switch is original.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:55 PM