Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pulling Stub axle, Into bearings
shane
post Jun 15 2019, 07:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,518
Region Association: None

Hi, I have my new rear bearings in and was going to pull my wheel hubs in by using my CV joint stub axles. My CV axles are hooked to the trans and I have the stub axle through the inside of the bearing. I previously watched this video https://youtu.be/lnXdjTate5o and in it the guy uses his castle nut to put the stub axle through the inside of the bearing. Problem is my stub axle doesn’t come out through the inside of the bearing far enough to put the cast but on let alone the washer and the cast nut. Am I missing something?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 15 2019, 07:07 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

There are better ways to install the bearings documented on this site and pelican.
+Quote Post
shane
post Jun 15 2019, 07:16 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 15 2019, 06:07 PM) *

There are better ways to install the bearings documented on this site and pelican.

Not installing bearings there already in. I’m wanting to pull the wheel hubs in.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 15 2019, 08:05 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Are the splines on your stubs and inside hub clean and free of rust and debris? I can easily slide mine in far enough by hand to grab at least 203 threads with the castle nut without the washer on. The turn the nut by hand to pull it far enough to add the washer. I haven't pulled them any farther because I'm waiting on new cv bolts to attach the axle first.
+Quote Post
shane
post Jun 15 2019, 08:17 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 15 2019, 07:05 PM) *

Are the splines on your stubs and inside hub clean and free of rust and debris? I can easily slide mine in far enough by hand to grab at least 203 threads with the castle nut without the washer on. The turn the nut by hand to pull it far enough to add the washer. I haven't pulled them any farther because I'm waiting on new cv bolts to attach the axle first.

I have the car on blocks, maybe I should jack up the swing arm a little to make sure the stub axle is reaching out far enough?
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Jun 15 2019, 09:56 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

Take a good stiff wire brush and scrub the inner splines of the hub until the shine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) then grease them

Do the same with the stubs

Leave the inner CV unbolted until you have the outer splines all the way in.
+Quote Post
shane
post Jun 15 2019, 10:32 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jun 15 2019, 08:56 PM) *

Take a good stiff wire brush and scrub the inner splines of the hub until the shine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) then grease them

Do the same with the stubs

Leave the inner CV unbolted until you have the outer splines all the way in.

It’s odd I jacked up my swing arm a bit just to make sure the stub axle face will sit flush with the inner bearing race and it does. But when I slide the wheel hub flush with the outer bearing race and push the two races together and against the face of the stub axle the splines aren’t even really close enough to come together yet and the thread on the stub axle is just flush with the wheel hub so I can start a castle nut to tighten it. I’m just going to chalk it up to one of those my car only things and use allthread a nut and some washers to pull the hub into the bearings and then hopefully I can still get my axles in without having to take the stub axle off my cv and mess up my paper gaskets. Thanks as usual for all the great help I’ll sure be glad when this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) little bundle of joy is finally finished. Happy teening all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 16 2019, 04:42 AM
Post #8

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 16 2019, 05:36 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

He's trying to pull the wheel hub into the installed bearing.
it's a press fit
It can be done with threaded rod and a couple big ass washers.
the stub axle and hub will never come close to reaching each other.
after the hub is drawn in the stub axle will slide right in.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 16 2019, 07:46 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 16 2019, 05:36 AM) *

it's a press fit

Ah! Yes, I missed that. I got in my head that the hub was already in and he was just trying to bet the stub axle in. I used the HF front wheel bearing kit for that. Slight fancier version of threaded rod and washers.

Carry on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
shane
post Jun 16 2019, 07:55 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 16 2019, 06:46 AM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 16 2019, 05:36 AM) *

it's a press fit

Ah! Yes, I missed that. I got in my head that the hub was already in and he was just trying to bet the stub axle in. I used the HF front wheel bearing kit for that. Slight fancier version of threaded rod and washers.

Carry on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

My fault, the title of my thread was wrong.
+Quote Post
shane
post Jun 16 2019, 11:04 AM
Post #12

Now that I have my drive axles inner CV joint bolted to the trans and can’t use the stub axle side to pull my wheel hub in, I’m going to have to pull the drive axle back out. I don’t suppose there is any way to separate the CV joint from the trans without destroying the paper gasket? Sometimes watching other people’s videos and there techniques that mysteriously work for them lead you down a bad road. Should have first made sure it was possible before I started to copy the video (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) can order more gaskets Just was hoping to finish that task today.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 16 2019, 01:01 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(shane @ Jun 16 2019, 01:04 PM) *

Now that I have my drive axles inner CV joint bolted to the trans and can’t use the stub axle side to pull my wheel hub in, I’m going to have to pull the drive axle back out. I don’t suppose there is any way to separate the CV joint from the trans without destroying the paper gasket? Sometimes watching other people’s videos and there techniques that mysteriously work for them lead you down a bad road. Should have first made sure it was possible before I started to copy the video (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) can order more gaskets Just was hoping to finish that task today.

The gaskets are not likely to survive.
They can survive if you don't mind leaving chisel marks on your inside CVs
Aim the chisel away from the flange into the outside surface of the CV...
NOT into the gasket groove. Alternate between sides at the roll pin area
Are your heat exchangers on ?
+Quote Post
shane
post Jun 16 2019, 01:36 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 16 2019, 12:01 PM) *

Nope, that was going to be my next project installing my heat exchangers and new muffler.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 16 2019, 01:57 PM
Post #15

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(shane @ Jun 16 2019, 03:36 PM) *

Nope, that was going to be my next project installing my heat exchangers and new muffler.

I've had luck separating the CV's by tapping around them with a hammer until they seperate. At least the ones that have been apart in the last couple years. But I always have extra cv gaskets since they do rip easily.
+Quote Post
shane
post Jun 16 2019, 02:13 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 16 2019, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(shane @ Jun 16 2019, 03:36 PM) *

I've had luck separating the CV's by tapping around them with a hammer until they seperate. At least the ones that have been apart in the last couple years. But I always have extra cv gaskets since they do rip easily.

Great thanks, I’ll try your advice maybe it’ll work since I’ve only had them together for about 24 hours. If not it definitely won’t be the first time I’ve ran into a set back on that car. I still have the killmat, carpet and interior to install if I have to wait for paper gaskets, And I’ll definitely order extra.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:27 AM