Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Horn honks when I turn the steering Wheel ?!?, Just installed new turn signal switch.
casey944
post Jun 16 2019, 07:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,654
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Good morning and happy fathers day. I recently thought it was a good move to install a new turn signal switch for my 914 as the left turn signal had been acting up. I purchased the copy part that Sierra Madre sells. The quality looked good but the pieces that came on the "new" part that the guide the wires through the column were too big to fit so I retrofitted the parts from the old one I removed.

Anyway all items work fine including the signal and all other stalk features. Issue is now that the horn honks all the time when turning the wheel. I can no longer get the button to ground and have the horn honk.

I have a momo wheel hub and an OEM Porsche horn button. Any recommendations on where to look or make adjustments? I already adjusted out the piece that is attached to the turn signal switch to see if that would help but it doesn't.

Please help or let me know where I can buy a good OEM turn signal stalk as I expect that to be the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Casey

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jun 16 2019, 08:57 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

If the turn signal screws are not all the way down, when you turn the wheel you will hit one and engage the horn. It’s a simple ground to engage the horn.
+Quote Post
stoneman30hotmail
post Nov 21 2023, 06:34 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 26,834
Region Association: South East States

I had this problem and came up with this less than informative thread. But I have the answer now.
Attached Image
Actually my problem wasn't even quite correlated with steering wheel, but odd bumps and maneuvers. Regardless, if you do anything with the steering wheel connectors the wiring can get out of it's holddown and can rub against the bolt on the steering column joint.
The picture is lookinng from above the pedals out. So in my case I fished some electrical tape around the brown white wire and pushed the bundle back into the metal holddowns so that the bolt would clear when the wheel was turned. It's pretty tight even then.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:09 AM