Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How much does a 2.7 / 3.0/ 3.2 change the feel of the car?
Tdskip
post Jun 16 2019, 07:21 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Happy Father’s Day gentlemen.

I just drove a ‘74 2.0 car from central OR down the coast back to SoCal (great trip, car was totally reliable) and somewhere on a single lane carving through the redwoods outside Eureka I wondered “yeah, the extra power would be nice but would it make the car feel heavier”.

So,is there a trade off in perceived weight or having the car be less eager to dance that comes with a /6 conversion? My intention is to keep whatever car I covert a narrow body and subtle so built GTs aren’t really the best point of feedback.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 16 2019, 07:46 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

They feel a little heavier but honestly they feel fantastic. The sound alone is amazing but the power is nice as well.. You really need to drive one to understand it though.. No written words can describe it..
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 16 2019, 07:52 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

I also would consider a 2.2 and 2.4 that is kind of a hot build engine. They offer some advantages to the larger engines especially cost and still have similar abilities..
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jun 16 2019, 08:03 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

I when I go from driving my 3.0 six to my built 4 I invariably look down and think did I leave the e-brake on?
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Jun 16 2019, 08:14 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,388

I use to think my 3.2 felt heavier then a 4 cylinder but since I now have both I find that my 3.2 feel lighter in the front steering even though it has bigger/wider tires. Weight distribution perhaps.
Buck
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 16 2019, 08:53 AM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Jun 16 2019, 10:14 AM) *

I use to think my 3.2 felt heavier then a 4 cylinder but since I now have both I find that my 3.2 feel lighter in the front steering even though it has bigger/wider tires. Weight distribution perhaps.
Buck

So many little things can change the feel of a car for better or worse. We made up a RSR style widebody that was riding on old suspension and it felt fantastic compared to a built RS style car with all new parts that felt a little truck like. The RSR with steamroller wheels and tires felt light and nimble, the RS was awkward to drive. So many things come into play and a good suspension guy can make everything work in harmony.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jun 16 2019, 10:04 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

There is really no comparison. If you drove my car, or any of our sixes that seem to be so abundant around here lately, you'd INSTANTLY get the gist of it.

You'd also get going RIGHT AWAY on doing your six conversion.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 16 2019, 12:05 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

OK, OK. I’m convinced (again).

Now to figure out which car to do this to and sell several of the others...

Thanks gentlemen.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 16 2019, 12:25 PM
Post #9

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Bear in mind there's also some weight difference between the various -6 engine configs. I have a mag case engine with carbs and headers (no heat) for example, about as light as you can get but 'compromised' in other ways.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 16 2019, 12:38 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 16 2019, 01:25 PM) *

Bear in mind there's also some weight difference between the various -6 engine configs. I have a mag case engine with carbs and headers (no heat) for example, about as light as you can get but 'compromised' in other ways.

Good point.

I have a 3.2 L that, in theory, should be ready to go as well as a 2.7 that will need at least a top end rebuild. Both are fuel injected engines which for now I am planning on leaving installed.

Was planning on headers and no heat.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 16 2019, 12:44 PM
Post #11

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Probably the most notable difference between my 2270 and 3.2 six is drivability. There isn’t any angry snotty behavior with the six. It starts, idles, and runs like a daily driver. But when you hit the angry pedal? Bye-bye!
+Quote Post
mtc911
post Jun 16 2019, 12:55 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 21,978
Region Association: South East States

This probably goes in the category of really stupid question but I’ll throw it out there anyway - what is a ballpark price range taking a decent running 2.0 to a 6 conversion - I know loaded question with lots of dependencies - $5k $10k $20k ??? What ballpark we talking?
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jun 16 2019, 12:55 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

QUOTE(Krieger @ Jun 16 2019, 07:03 AM) *

I when I go from driving my 3.0 six to my built 4 I invariably look down and think did I leave the e-brake on?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) best reply of the year award and it’s only June (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 16 2019, 01:02 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 16 2019, 01:44 PM) *

Probably the most notable difference between my 2270 and 3.2 six is drivability. There isn’t any angry snotty behavior with the six. It starts, idles, and runs like a daily driver. But when you hit the angry pedal? Bye-bye!

Rob!

That’s basically what I am going for, needs to be civilized.
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Jun 16 2019, 01:03 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(mtc911 @ Jun 16 2019, 01:55 PM) *

This probably goes in the category of really stupid question but I’ll throw it out there anyway - what is a ballpark price range taking a decent running 2.0 to a 6 conversion - I know loaded question with lots of dependencies - $5k $10k $20k ??? What ballpark we talking?

Biggest swing is engine acquisition cost and what needs to be done to it.

Working budget for everything else would be between $4,000 and $5,000. That’s my mid-process cocktail napkin math which I would take with a healthy amount of skepticism.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jun 16 2019, 01:15 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

If you do it yourself then 5-6k in parts if you already have the engine.

Remember flywheel, oil tank, oil filler neck, wiring harness, oil filter console, oil lines, headers, engine mount, throttle bell crank assembly, muffler.. Lots of options out there.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 16 2019, 01:45 PM
Post #17

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 16 2019, 03:15 PM) *

If you do it yourself then 5-6k in parts if you already have the engine.

Remember flywheel, oil tank, oil filler neck, wiring harness, oil filter console, oil lines, headers, engine mount, throttle bell crank assembly, muffler.. Lots of options out there.

for a 3.2, also -
conversion clutch with ring gear
DME sensors and bracket
modify engine cooler
front oil cooler, lines and thermostat
oil temp/pressure gauge
rear shift rod
915 trans stubs, hub stubs, hubs, cv's and sway away axles
engine sheet metal
O2 & altitude sensor
DME relay
3.2 fuel pump
muffler bracket

New engine fuel lines if yours are original.

Pricey but worth it.

The 3.2 conversion was the most popular engine switch by far at the WCR. Guys are seeing up to 300hp when modified so there is plenty there for most 914 owners.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 16 2019, 01:53 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 16 2019, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 16 2019, 01:44 PM) *

Rob!

That’s basically what I am going for, needs to be civilized.

Buy one of Ben's stainless steel quiet mufflers if you want civil or the last of his 2 in, 2 out GT mufflers if you want mean.

If you choose the right exhaust and a lightweight battery, you can greatly reduce the total weight gain of the six. The stock 4 parts and lead acid battery were quite heavy.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jun 16 2019, 02:08 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

^ Some great input above.

My 2.2 six conversion definitely doesn't feel as light or "momentum" as it did as a four, but I wouldn't go back. It just feels special in a way that's hard to describe. The car always felt like cheap fun—in the GOOD way Miatas and MR2s do—as a four, but feels more exotic and sophisticated as a six. Heavier, too. And maybe not quite as flingable...but I hold out hope that I can dial the suspension in further. Not that it's bad...but there's something very cool about the lighter fours.

Any six is going to require a brake upgrade, but PMB's alloy Brembo setup or any 911 front brakes should be enough. Count on a five-lug conversion as well, if you go for the latter.

If you want to keep the body narrow, I think 180-200hp is the sweet spot—so I'd look at hot 2.2s, 2.4s, and other engines up to the SC 3.0 or maybe a 3.2 that's dead stock. Of course, the bigger the displacement, the more you get into the conversion. Oil coolers, 915s, etc add a lot to the cost. I like the 2.2 because you can get nice hp (I am not wishing for more power) without big torque, which is what starts upsetting the transmission, driveline, and/or chassis. YMMV here.

The engine in my car is a 190-200hp E/S 2.2, and it feels and sounds great. There are times where I wish it was injected instead of carbureted, but that wasn't in the budget. If you want civilized, I wonder about a 2.4 MFI or even 2.4 CIS? Or just a nice 2.7 or 3.0 CIS? Add a stock muflfer and I suspect that would be a very nice package....

Once you go past 200hp, I'm starting to think about flares and all sorts of other stuff. you're soon re-engineering the car—not that there's anything wrong with that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 16 2019, 02:37 PM
Post #20

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

A 3.0 or 3.2 is a torque monster. The first time my wife drove my 3.0 914 she started from a dead stop in 3rd gear! A 3rd gear that tach'd out at 75mph! A 3.2 with Motronic is my personal "gold standard" 6 conversion, but I'm very fond of all flat sixes, and a small displacement high spooling 2.2S is very fun in a 914.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:38 AM