Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear trunk hinge
mark04usa
post Jun 18 2019, 01:01 PM
Post #21

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,805
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mzalanka @ Jun 18 2019, 01:46 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 18 2019, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 18 2019, 04:15 AM) *

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jun 17 2019, 08:32 PM) *

-1 on the rear struts, I won't put those on any 914.

Fix the hinge cup and keep the shoulder bolt lubricated, or do the shoulder bolt mod. It's worked for 40+ years, and needs repair. Yes, there's a dangerous amount of tension on those springs, but if you get a good tool it's not that troublesome.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Why the hate for the struts?

The original support system works well, just needs to be maintained. The struts are in the way and wear out and are just not necessary on a 914 IMHO. Why drill a bunch of holes in your car... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 18 2019, 01:01 PM
Post #22

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jun 17 2019, 11:40 AM) *
QUOTE(mangrum @ Jun 17 2019, 11:07 AM) *
Thanks for the replies. I’m still looking for a good and safe way to relieve the tension on the spring so I can assess the situation and make any necessary repairs. I did a forum search but didn’t see a valid post. I heard at one point there was a tool available. Anyone know of one and a source?
Hey Mike, I got my torsion tool from AA. It was invaluable to put my springs off and on.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-18802-1560796800_thumb.jpg)

@McMark

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
mzalanka
post Jun 18 2019, 01:09 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,300
Region Association: None

To each their own - I found Craig's strut kit to be super easy to install and doesn't create any access issues whatsoever for me. I do get that not everyone wants to drill their trunk.

Dealing with those torsion bars was not pleasant, even with the proper tool. I tried reinstalling them after fixing my hinge plate - but my opinion was that they put WAY too much force on the repaired hinge and that it was just a matter of time before it ripped loose again. Perhaps others have had better experiences. JMHO.
+Quote Post
nathanxnathan
post Jun 18 2019, 01:32 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 21,899
Region Association: Southern California

I have a phobia of strut-supported lids. Years ago I had an 87 cavalier station wagon. The rear hatch on it was supported by a strut on each side from the factory, and somehow, not sure if it was beforehand or what, but one of them cracked where the end went around a sort of ball pivot, and the strut came off. With only 1 strut holding it, it seemed like the hatch all but free fell and cracked me in the head, knocked me to the ground, I had to go to the hospital and get stitches. It was funny that it was halloween, and I was dressed as a girl. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) at least some of the impact was cushioned by the wig... the nurses got a laugh though, me and my makeup, big ass bleeding bump on my head, I'll never forget that.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 18 2019, 03:46 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 18 2019, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Jun 17 2019, 11:40 AM) *
QUOTE(mangrum @ Jun 17 2019, 11:07 AM) *
Thanks for the replies. I’m still looking for a good and safe way to relieve the tension on the spring so I can assess the situation and make any necessary repairs. I did a forum search but didn’t see a valid post. I heard at one point there was a tool available. Anyone know of one and a source?
Hey Mike, I got my torsion tool from AA. It was invaluable to put my springs off and on.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-18802-1560796800_thumb.jpg)

@McMark

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

George bought some.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jun 18 2019, 10:21 PM
Post #26

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A tool can easily be made. I put a notch in an old crescent wrench and it worked just fine.

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 18 2019, 11:03 PM
Post #27

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

If the grill is removed you can use a deep socket and wrench. Ghetto, but works.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 19 2019, 12:57 AM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(mzalanka @ Jun 18 2019, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 18 2019, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 18 2019, 04:15 AM) *

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jun 17 2019, 08:32 PM) *

-1 on the rear struts, I won't put those on any 914.

Fix the hinge cup and keep the shoulder bolt lubricated, or do the shoulder bolt mod. It's worked for 40+ years, and needs repair. Yes, there's a dangerous amount of tension on those springs, but if you get a good tool it's not that troublesome.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Why the hate for the struts?

Why the hate for the stock hinges? Use or make a tool that looks like those shown and working with the torsion bars is pretty straight forward. I use a large box end wrench 21mm with a slot cut into the box end for the bar to slide through. Works great.

Stock setup is simple and light weight. I don't think most people appreciate how hard it is to design and build a 2000 lb car. Struts usually add unnecessary weight.

Look at other lightweight cars (Elise, Miata, etc.), you will not find struts.
+Quote Post
mzalanka
post Jun 19 2019, 04:59 PM
Post #29

We've pretty clearly got two competing worldviews here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I like torsion bars very much... in my front suspension and those teeny little ones on the engine lid. In the trunk, I'll take the struts.

I don't have to wear welding gloves and a face shield and make sure my term life insurance is paid up when I need to change out a strut. Also - there are 2 struts - so the odds of the trunk suddenly falling due to a failed strut seems not very likely. I have - however - had body damage on other cars due to strut failure so I'm not saying it can't happen ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)) but more that I'll take my chances with my new, perfectly operable, perfectly fitting strut kit.

As for weight - doubt the Camp kit weighs more than a pound. Torsion bars, rollers, etc don't weigh much but it's not zero, either. My car has BBBs, so the struts aren't what's killing my 1/4 times...
+Quote Post
mzalanka
post Jun 19 2019, 05:01 PM
Post #30

Also, I'll just leave this here.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mzalanka
post Jun 19 2019, 05:20 PM
Post #31

And.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jun 19 2019, 11:58 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Sorry - should have been more specific.

On the Lotus, I was referring to the Elise which is weighing in around 2041 lbs that has a simple prop rod.

On the Miata I had the early cars in mind which are closer to 914 weight.

1991 Miata - 2100 lbs
2019 Miata - 2345 lbs - oink oink (lol! - I love Miata's for the record)

Lotus Evora with those gas lift struts is a portly 3100 lbs or so. Still an awesome car but it has more than 95HP too!

The broader point was that to get a production automobile down to 914 type weight every pound matters and back when these cars were engineered, gas struts really weren't a viable option. For me, I simply prefer to try to stay close to the original intent of these cars.

As always, there are very few absolutes in life. To each his own (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 20 2019, 07:19 AM
Post #33

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

For me it's simplicity, but the bottom line is that it's your car do what you want.

Not everyone can weld in a new hinge cup, and the tension on those springs is intimidating.

I just don't like the interference with putting in the roof, and cutting the car.
+Quote Post
pploco
post Jun 20 2019, 09:57 AM
Post #34

Chief Toilet Flusher

Member No.: 22,225
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

First time I dismantled a trunk spring I had no idea the kind of tension that sucker had going on. When I took one of the brackets off (still sprung), it didn't pop off right away but wedged itself against the bolts. So the unedumicated me decided (thankfully) to get a long screw driver to pry it off at a distance. Lucky for me, I took a glancing blow to the pointy finger in the open air and only lost a fingernail. But I heard a whistle as the bracket flew past my face like a bullet. They are seriously dangerous folks.

I've got the new pivot hinge and shocks for mine now.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:44 AM