Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another oil pressure question and yet another oil question., 1973 2.0 2056 - Dual webers. Brad Penn 20/50
Downerman
post Jun 19 2019, 03:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,296
Region Association: None

The car is running really strong. Complete rebuild/machine work. Just installed Chris's - Tangerine's oil relief valve and CB performance oil pump and Auto Atlanta's VDO gauge and sender (oil Pressure). So today it's @ 85 degrees out. Been concerned about oil pressure and still am I guess. The kit from auto Atlanta has multiple threaded ports to tap into which is nice. But I'm not trusting my sender/gauge at this point. So I hooked up an oil filled gauge off that adapter they sell. Took it a while to settle in BUT here's what I have.

But first things first. Car is cold...start: 42 Psi on VDO. That's tops. With the mechanical it's now at near 60Psi (Cold start) Got the car nice and warm after about 15 minutes idling (Psi @ 22Psi and watching temp closely) And then took the car out for a rip out for about 45 minutes and pulled back into the garage. Green oil light flickering but idle is at 500 (yeah I know.... will get it up to 900). Pointed my heat laser down the oil tube and the hottest I got was 205. Temp gauge was @ 1/2 way through the white (Stock 73 gauge). My new VDO said "0" for oil pressure. My mechanical ported off the adapter Kit (directly off the block where stock temp unit was) said @ 5PSI. What's weird is when I hit the gas (standing over the engine and manipulating the weber throttle bar and temp still hot from the rip), the mechanical gauge will show almost 50PSI when rev'd to @ 4000 and also really reacts quickly to RPM's. My VDO shows maybe 20Psi tops and seems slower to react.

Couple of questions and observations: I'm more inclined to lean towards the mechanical but 50 PSI @ 4000 seems high (obtained back in garage, @ 205 degree's after rip) . The stock flickering light and @5psi on that mechanical makes sense too. Has anyone else had problems with these electronic oil pressure gauges?

Also wondering about some posts I have read from the air cooled community in Australia who swear by this 25W-60 and 25W-70 mineral based oil. One manufacture has a product out called classic V-Dub specifically for...well you get it.

https://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/classic-v-dub#/

Company is Penrite and another is Nulon. Just curious if anyone has tried any of these? I live in South Monterey County. Temps here in the summer are anywhere from the 80's to well over 100's. (was 106 last week) If I'm road tripping I'm generally in hot areas as well.... I-5 and the 101. Winters here can get in the 30's but that's rare and I certainly would not be cruising around in that. Looking at also getting one of Chris's external oil coolers too.

I'm going to try and ground the VDO sender better and see if that helps.

Just curious what others think.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 09:41 PM