Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Not 914, but Nice Middie, 2006 Cayman S 18K mi FS in PNW, No Affiliation
Tom_T
post Jun 22 2019, 03:54 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

I have no affiliation with the seller, but she contacted me by mistake on my PCA Panorama ad for a WTB 2008-14 Cayenne S - having misread it as Cayman.

However, I offered to post her Cayman S info here because she's lost her husband & is trying to downsize his car stable.

It's a very low mile 2006 Cayman S Gray Met./gray leather, with a bunch of options & add-ons, with only 18,322 miles, & up in the PNW in Portland OR. The pdf of her ad in their local PCA magazine is below FYI.

She lists no price - so I can't add any price per the rules, so just contact her directly if interested.

Attached File  2006_Porsche_Cayman_S_Ad_for_Alena_Wheary_503_849_8291_in_OR.pdf ( 823.58k ) Number of downloads: 319

I thought it may be of interest to anyone interested in a newer Middie Porsche.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
skjl47
post Jun 22 2019, 06:00 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,957
Region Association: None

Hello; The Cayman is indeed a nice car. I know this will not help but a problem with the year models older than 2009 is the intermediate shaft bearing failures that plagued the flat six.
As I understand it models older than 2009 do not bring as much because of this issue. There was a class action against Porsche over this. Too late for current owners now.
I looked at a 2008 base cayman a couple weeks ago but passed as the dealer was just too high when I factored in the risk of a total engine failure.
There is a so so patch that is not too onerous if the car is a manual. That being to replaced that bearing when a clutch is replaced. Not a real fix but I guess will give some peace of mind.
Good luck to your friend.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 22 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #3

TMI....

QUOTE(skjl47 @ Jun 22 2019, 05:00 PM) *

Hello; The Cayman is indeed a nice car. I know this will not help but a problem with the year models older than 2009 is the intermediate shaft bearing failures that plagued the flat six.
As I understand it models older than 2009 do not bring as much because of this issue. There was a class action against Porsche over this. Too late for current owners now.
I looked at a 2008 base cayman a couple weeks ago but passed as the dealer was just too high when I factored in the risk of a total engine failure.
There is a so so patch that is not too onerous if the car is a manual. That being to replaced that bearing when a clutch is replaced. Not a real fix but I guess will give some peace of mind.

The IMS issue has been discussed on this board before on the pre-09 986/987 & 996/997 flat sixes (Boxsters, Caymans & 911s). There have been a number of fixes covered in Panorama, Excellence, Hemmings Sports & Exotics, etc. magazines.

From what I've read & heard, once done with one of the better fixes which are not just a replacement of the factory bearing part - they're pretty much as bulletproof as the later flat sixes.

Anyone interesting in this Camyan should ask the owner if the IMS replacement you mentions or one of the other fixes was ever done. I don't know, but it sounded like the ladies husband was pretty particular about his cars, so he may have had it done already before his passing.

Otherwise - figure on picking your preferred fix & have it done, & factor that into the price for the car.

PS - You shouldn't figure the cost of a total engine replacement, but the cost of a proper IMS fix only, in determining that dealer price or this one.

There have been a number of cases where the engine never failed due to the IMS, but more than enough to be cautious & look for either a fixed one or factor the cost of same in price negotiations.

I just looked in the latest Panorama & there are 2-3+ ads for various fixes, & from the tech discussions on other boards & in our SoCal Zone 8 Tech sessions - they're far more than just "so-so".

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
skjl47
post Jun 22 2019, 09:21 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 22 2019, 07:17 PM) *

The IMS issue has been discussed on this board before on the pre-09 986/987 & 996/997 flat sixes (Boxsters, Caymans & 911s). There have been a number of fixes covered in Panorama, Excellence, Hemmings Sports & Exotics, etc. magazines.

From what I've read & heard, once done with one of the better fixes which are not just a replacement of the factory bearing part - they're pretty much as bulletproof as the later flat sixes.

Anyone interesting in this Camyan should ask the owner if the IMS replacement you mentions or one of the other fixes was ever done. I don't know, but it sounded like the ladies husband was pretty particular about his cars, so he may have had it done already before his passing.

Otherwise - figure on picking your preferred fix & have it done, & factor that into the price for the car.

PS - You shouldn't figure the cost of a total engine replacement, but the cost of a proper IMS fix only, in determining that dealer price or this one.

There have been a number of cases where the engine never failed due to the IMS, but more than enough to be cautious & look for either a fixed one or factor the cost of same in price negotiations.

I just looked in the latest Panorama & there are 2-3+ ads for various fixes, & from the tech discussions on other boards & in our SoCal Zone 8 Tech sessions - they're far more than just "so-so".

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Hello; Thanks for the updated information. The fix I read about was to be replacing the IMS bearing with each clutch replacement or any time the trans was out. Best I recall is the automatic trans job was to be a bigger chore.

If you know about the 2008 Caymans please do tell. I have read they are supposed to be less prone to failure of a factory bearing than earlier years. The dealer with the 2008 still has it listed and would be worth the price if the IMS was not a big issue. It has a bit over 12K miles which is low.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 24 2019, 01:23 PM
Post #5

TMI....

QUOTE(skjl47 @ Jun 22 2019, 08:21 PM) *

Hello; Thanks for the updated information. The fix I read about was to be replacing the IMS bearing with each clutch replacement or any time the trans was out. Best I recall is the automatic trans job was to be a bigger chore.

If you know about the 2008 Caymans please do tell. I have read they are supposed to be less prone to failure of a factory bearing than earlier years. The dealer with the 2008 still has it listed and would be worth the price if the IMS was not a big issue. It has a bit over 12K miles which is low.

I'm far from an expert on the IMS issue, but IMHO anyone considering an early flat 6 would be best served to do a lot of research on the problem & fixes.

Both Panorama & Excellence magazines have run a few past articles on the subject, so I'd suggest that you start there with their back issues' articles.

Also look for the ads on the permanent IMS upgrade fixes for the issue, all of which IIRC are aftermarket parts. One solution's ad is by Jake Raby's group Flat6Innovations in Cleveland GA (Flat6Innovations.com), from my latest issue of Panorama. There are several others out there.

If you're not a PCA member, then the $46/yr dues is well worth it for that magazine alone - aside from all of the other member benefits.

A better place on 914world to ask questions on the IMS topic, would be to do a topic post on it in the Garage Forum, but put SOT at the start of your topic title since it's Porsche related but not 914. Then the full membership would see & can answer your questions.

PS - I think that the Pano &/or Excellence articles covered which MYs were post IMS problems, & interim MYs which were better for it - but it's been a while since I read them.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jun 24 2019, 01:27 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

All of the above is mis-information and mostly incorrect statistically.

WAAAY over discussed ad-nauseum on the other P-car forums.

First the base model has the 2.7 which on the 987.1 statistically to have an IMS failure is like being struck by lightening.

Second, the IMS on the 987.1 is non-serviceable and can only be replaced by splitting the case. L&N advises to pull the seal of the IMS out when the clutch is service to "lengthen" the service life. The bearing CAN be replaced only on the M96 motors.....the Cayman has the M97.

Most of the issues are on the 3.4 on the 987.1 and relate more to rods and bore-scoring than IMS issues.

The Cayman models are 987.1 -987.2 and 981 and finally the 718. Only the 987.1 has the IMS bearing and the M97.21 was redesigned by Porsche after the now infamous 986 M96 motors for which the poster mentions the class action.

I have a 987.1 and it has 85K miles on it. They are great cars at a bargain price because of all the hubabalu about IMS issues.

Any engine that just sits....even a TYPE IV will have issues if not maintained and driven. To my knowledge most Cayman that have been driven sanely and maintained regulary have had almost no IMS failures.

If anything, I'd stay away from a car 987.1 or 986 with super low miles. Garage Queens are most susceptible to IMS failure as already discussed....over and over again.

Edit:

I looked at Caymans for some time, and generally they fall into three classes:

1. Base model- Owner- I could barely afford it but I wanted a Porsche and love the car.
2. S- model with as many options as I can get- Owner- I love to go to Starbucks and talk about how many options it has. Low miles barely driven.
3. S-model bare options- Owner- Loves to drive it whenever they can, medium to higher miles for the age.

Clearly, this car is number 2.
+Quote Post
skjl47
post Jun 24 2019, 07:29 PM
Post #7

Hello; Back in the 1970's and up thru the 1990's I did some work on the air cooled 914's and a particular 1972 911T. I have not yet had a chance to work on any of the liquid cooled engines.
I am familiar with how Porsche would make changes within a model year and not wait to the next model year.
A friend bought an early 2000's Boxter with the triptronic around four years ago. His was the 72 911T I use to service. I did some searches then and found a couple of articles about the IMS. He pretty much just parks his cars so has not had a problem.
I did give him the information so he at least bought a 2009 Cayman.

Since I do not think any of the three have been on the road in years I do not guess it matters now.

I do check out any Caymans that show up within an hour or two drive, usually 2009 to 2016. Sorry to create an issue in this thread as I did not know it was such a touchy subject for some.

I have not kept up with the details of the of the series of engine models and do appreciate information about them. If it is not too much trouble can anyone tell me a simple way to determine which engine might be in a 2008 Cayman? There are two 2008's for sale currently near Knoxville TN. Both with fairly low miles for the year.

My first bucket list notion was to get another 914 but the speculators have driven the price up for a decent car. I also am not keen on fixing one up at 72 years of age next august so decided to look for a clean Cayman.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jun 24 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

QUOTE(skjl47 @ Jun 24 2019, 06:29 PM) *

Hello; Back in the 1970's and up thru the 1990's I did some work on the air cooled 914's and a particular 1972 911T. I have not yet had a chance to work on any of the liquid cooled engines.
I am familiar with how Porsche would make changes within a model year and not wait to the next model year.
A friend bought an early 2000's Boxter with the triptronic around four years ago. His was the 72 911T I use to service. I did some searches then and found a couple of articles about the IMS. He pretty much just parks his cars so has not had a problem.

Since I do not think any of the three have been on the road in years I do not guess it matters now.

I do check out any Caymans that show up within an hour or two drive, usually 2009 to 2016. Sorry to create an issue in this thread as I did not know it was such a touchy subject for some.

I have not kept up with the details of the of the series of engine models and do appreciate information about them. If it is not too much trouble can anyone tell me a simple way to determine which engine might be in a 2008 Cayman? There are two 2008's for sale currently near Knoxville TN. Both with fairly low miles for the year.

My first bucket list notion was to get another 914 but the speculators have driven the price up for a decent car. I also am not keen on fixing one up at 72 years of age next august so decided to look for a clean Cayman.

I'd go with a nice Cayman. Instead of another project and a six conversion in a 914 that is what I did.

2006 was only the Cayman S with a 3.4
2007-08 Both Cayman S and base model were offered. The base model was a 2.7.

All 987.1 had IMS bearings.

2009-12 Porsche changed engines to the 9a1 Direct Injection flat six- In my opinion these are the most sought after and hence the price difference. Also my opinion the 987 series are the nicest looking....at least in my opinion.

2012-16- Changed Body style- PDK and the 6MT became optional.

If you can find a 987.2 that'd be my choice. You will pay for a decent one. If you can find a 987.1 with 50K miles they can be had for about 20K all day long. Great cars and the classic look. The next 914 in my opinion.

Great one and drive the snot out of it.
+Quote Post
skjl47
post Jun 24 2019, 10:39 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 24 2019, 11:10 PM) *

QUOTE(skjl47 @ Jun 24 2019, 06:29 PM) *

I'd go with a nice Cayman. Instead of another project and a six conversion in a 914 that is what I did.

2006 was only the Cayman S with a 3.4
2007-08 Both Cayman S and base model were offered. The base model was a 2.7.

All 987.1 had IMS bearings.

2009-12 Porsche changed engines to the 9a1 Direct Injection flat six- In my opinion these are the most sought after and hence the price difference. Also my opinion the 987 series are the nicest looking....at least in my opinion.

2012-16- Changed Body style- PDK and the 6MT became optional.

If you can find a 987.2 that'd be my choice. You will pay for a decent one. If you can find a 987.1 with 50K miles they can be had for about 20K all day long. Great cars and the classic look. The next 914 in my opinion.

Great one and drive the snot out of it.

Hello; Thanks for the well structured reply. Will be helpful.

I also know about letting a car sit for a long time. My friend with the 911T has in the past allowed that car to sit for years. He would start it up and let it idle from time to time. When it would not start I got a call. I would get it going and suggest that he get the registration up to date and drive it. This would last a few weeks and then he would park it.

This happened several times over a couple of decades. I recall one time I had to replace the electric fuel pump. He drove the car for a few weeks and then just parked it for about two years. When I got the call I determined one problem was the electric fuel pump again. He fussed about the pump was still almost new and only had a couple hundred miles on it.
I took the fuel pump apart and showed him the old gummed up and varnished fuel that had clogged up the internals. To get it apart I pried open the crimping of the case. I cleaned the gunk out, stuck it back together and it ran. I was trying to make the point that it was the sitting with old fuel that was the issue. He had me press the case crimps back down and reinstall it. I got the car running again with that compromised pump. Lucky it did not ever leak. It was a low pressure pump that fed fuel to the mechanical fuel injection.
After about 20 years and a few long term parking episodes I could no longer get it running right. I suspect the mechanical injection was compromised with old fuel.

Several other stories about this car but I will stop.

Thanks again
+Quote Post
skjl47
post Jun 25 2019, 06:52 AM
Post #10

One solution's ad is by Jake Raby's group Flat6Innovations in Cleveland GA (Flat6Innovations.com), from my latest issue of Panorama. There are several others out there.

Hello; Went to he Flatsixinnovations site in the wee hours last night. watched two of the videos about IMS shafts and bearings. Cleared up a lot. Thanks to those who corrected me and apologies to the OP for the turn it caused to the thread.
+Quote Post
roblav1
post Jun 25 2019, 07:17 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 14,943
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I concur with 914_Teener wrt the IMS... And my 2008 base Cayman is the best PCar I ever owned. Plenty of power, and the 5-speed manual is perfectly fine. Rowing the gears reminds me of 30 years ago doing the same in SWB 911S cars.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Jun 25 2019, 09:53 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,510

VIN in the ad appears to be incorrect and I believe it should be WP0AB29876U782768
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jun 25 2019, 10:34 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jun 25 2019, 08:53 AM) *

VIN in the ad appears to be incorrect and I believe it should be WP0AB29876U782768

Yep.

One thing it has is PASM. Most Caymans ride stiff but when you hit it hard you want it stiff. Know what I mean? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 25 2019, 07:49 PM
Post #14

TMI....

QUOTE(skjl47 @ Jun 25 2019, 05:52 AM) *

One solution's ad is by Jake Raby's group Flat6Innovations in Cleveland GA (Flat6Innovations.com), from my latest issue of Panorama. There are several others out there.

Hello; Went to he Flatsixinnovations site in the wee hours last night. watched two of the videos about IMS shafts and bearings. Cleared up a lot. Thanks to those who corrected me and apologies to the OP for the turn it caused to the thread.

No worries, as it probably answered questions on the IMS for folks looking at the car.

As I said in my OP, I'm just helping out a widow / fellow PCA member to get exposure for the car. It looks like a nice find for someone on here or elsewhere.

If it were me personally, I'd want the Boxster to drop the top, since we're in SoCal, & I'm actually starting to dig the looks of the original earliest 986.1 model's styling closest to the intro show car.

But then, I'm out of room for play cars & such, & if anything - it'll be the 2008-14 Cayenne S V8 that I'm looking for to tow our vintage trailers first - which was the Pano ad she called me about. LOL

Also, it looks like this Cayman S was driven 1000-1400 miles/yr average, so that should be enough light pleasure use to keep things running good, especially if her husband took it out to "blow off the cobwebs" for some spirited driving now & then.

We do around 1500 - 3000 +/- per year on our cars now, & they're doing fine.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) .

So has anybody actually called the lady on this nice car yet - or are you all just "Master Debaters" on it!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Tom
///////

+Quote Post
skjl47
post Jun 25 2019, 08:27 PM
Post #15

No worries, as it probably answered questions on the IMS for folks looking at the car.

Hello; I have in fact been looking at the videos on the IMS bearing to be found on the site. Learned quite a bit more that is current. The fellow in one of the videos did say the 2008 year models were only at maybe a 1% chance of IMS failure which is much better that some earlier models. There was one thing he stated in that he does not like the low for the year mileage cars. That for me rules out the two 2008 Caymans near by.
He also strongly suggests an oil change every six months or 5000 miles and to keep the rpms around 3000 most of the time.

I live in TN so it is too far and no I have not called the lady. Sorry but wish you both luck.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:45 AM