Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flynn's EZ30 & 6 speed Subie conversion, Oh boy, what have I done
Chris H.
post Jul 22 2019, 07:37 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This is the one several of us have used:

Celica GTS rad/fans
00-05 Celica GTS.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
greggearhead
post Aug 28 2019, 02:26 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,836
Region Association: None

Hurry up and get this done. Heh.
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Aug 28 2019, 02:42 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

QUOTE(greggearhead @ Aug 28 2019, 12:26 PM) *

Hurry up and get this done. Heh.

Yeah what he said, May 2020 is just around the corner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Subaruined
post Oct 11 2020, 01:56 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 22,915
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Holy hell it's been like a year since my last post and I'm sorry to say that not a lot has gotten done other than buying some goodies. I've been spending too much time working on my stupid DD, and other side projects, but yesterday I did finally roll up my sleeves and do some damn work.

Recently, My DD ('05 Legacy GT) chewed up its center diff and I had to replace the trans, and it got me to thinking, since that one is now useless as an AWD trans, I might as well try my hand at making a DIY FWD spline coupler like jpnovac. ( thread here ) So yesterday, I did just that. My center diff looks quite a bit different from JP's but the same general concept carries over and he did an excellent write up.

after removing all of the 14 bolts at the back of my trans, I was able to pull the center diff out
Attached Image

hammering a pin tool into the little recesses at the top of the diff allowed me to separate the outer casing from the guts
Attached Image

I then grabbed ahold of the top piece in the stack internals and got to hacking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) I used a cutoff wheel and tried to keep the cut as straight as I could. a little groove in the needle bearing seat made that pretty easy.
Attached Image
Attached Image

I then threw the outer casing component in the vice to cut the female splined section off of the rest of the housing, but I didn't have a large enough cutoff wheel to get the job done and I was doing a piss poor job of keeping the cut straight. I knew that at the end of the day, I was going to have to enlist the help of a friend with a welder, so I gave him a ring and asked if he had a bandsaw that might be able to make the cut. He had other methods in mind to cut the component. (I dont think this is how most people use a lathe)
Attached Image

But hey, it worked and nobody even lost an arm.
Attached Image

After facing our cylindrical components on the lathe (overkill) we gave the upper edges of the needle bearings a little love with a flapper wheel, and we had our final stack all ready to go. I dropped the smaller cylinder into the larger one and pushed in the needle bearings in to keep the cylinders concentric.
Attached Image

The side that engages the splines in the trans looked like this.
Attached Image

we were then ready to weld up the stack.
Attached Image
Attached Image

And Viola. After a little facing to flatten up that weld, the DIY spline coupler was complete. You may notice that we didn't weld up the interior of the coupler like JP did in his thread, that mas mostly because my welder friend, Matt didnt think he would be able to get his mig gun into the cylinder to do it cleanly. we discussed the application for a couple minutes and considered the direction that the forces would be applied to this part, and deciced that one weld would probably hold.... but please, tell me if I'm being an idiot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

The component fits up in lovely fashion, and I feel like I've saved a trans from the grave. I'll be doing the final install of the coupler and buttoning up that trans in the coming week, but I'd love to hear the community's thoughts on the coupler.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 11 2020, 03:07 PM
Post #25

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Subaruined @ Jun 26 2019, 07:13 PM) *
Well, It's been a little over a year since I bought my 914, and I'm finally moving on the swap, so it's about time I get this thread rolling! First of all, let it be known that rnellums is to blame for everything you're about to witness. He was kind enough to let me drive his swapped 914 for a classic car rally last May, and ooooh boy did I fall in love.

@Subaruined
Damn that Ross! We have a local group of 914 junkies if you're interested. Ask Greg or just click the Colorado-914 image/link in my sig.

This post has been edited by Gint: Oct 11 2020, 03:33 PM
+Quote Post
greggearhead
post Oct 11 2020, 03:50 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 12,836

Nice work. I doubt Osha would approve the lathe used like that, lol.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 11 2020, 04:41 PM
Post #27

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

That is going to a fun ride for sure. Nice job on making the drive adapter.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 09:19 PM