Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Visiting the US from UK
ndfrigi
post Jul 13 2019, 08:52 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 13 2019, 07:28 PM) *

Hey Noel,
I wasn’t gonna leave the team until we scored and got that motor running!
Great to meet you

Here’s a link to Dowsetts on YouTube, you’ll see more short movies on there too plus google Dowsetts Classic Cars to find out more

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6LfgSMgktC4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3-EoUzrh4cw

You can check up all sorts of car stuff I get up to on my Twitter feed @classiccarguru1
And my 21st Century Outlaw build here

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...=28&t=62147

Plus I work as engineering consultant at Rolls-Royce motor cars + all the TV & film stuff

So I’ve got this car affliction thing real bad (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Kind Regards
Darren

Yes Darren we noticed that you will not give up because you know it’s just a simple issue for you plus you have Andy too!

Hope you enjoy your week vacation here in SoCal!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jul 13 2019, 08:56 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jul 13 2019, 07:28 PM) *

To Darren (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Our latest honorary SoCal Member. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Special thanks to Margie and Paul for driving up from San Diego.

Oscar

Yes sir Oscar we have a great guest today at your house.
Darren who is an amazing builder and our SoCal own great and well known racer Margie Smith-Haas and Paul Haas! It could have been better if the new guy of Wheeler Dealer was able to join us also.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jul 14 2019, 12:28 AM
Post #43

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

Another Great Day in the SoCal 914 Community @ValcoOscar 's
Thanks for opeining your home garage to everyone:

@Larmo63
@914Sixxation
@Ed_Turbo
@LS1V8Jerry

Special thanks to @SocalAndy for spearheading the non-spark issue on the '73 resto-project

Many thanks to
@914Toy
@ndfrigi
for guest wrenching and

@Darren C for the special guest appearance in getting her fired up to end the day!

So what if we burnt up a couple of PerTronix Electronic Injections and went back to points! Swapped the ignition harness back to OEM, coil, starter and cleaned up some grounds. It was all in a days wrenching!

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Great Support and what a line up of awesome cars!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 14 2019, 08:22 AM
Post #44

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jul 13 2019, 11:28 PM) *

So what if we burnt up a couple of PerTronix Electronic Injections and went back to points! Swapped the ignition harness back to OEM, coil, starter and cleaned up some grounds. It was all in a days wrenching!

Two sets? That may be a first! Someone want to share what happened? Too many cooks in the kitchen?
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jul 14 2019, 10:36 AM
Post #45

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 14 2019, 07:22 AM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Jul 13 2019, 11:28 PM) *

Two sets? That may be a first! Someone want to share what happened? Too many cooks in the kitchen?

Burnt one set for sure, however the Ignitor II did not fit the distributor so its going back. The PerTronix that was originally in the car may or may not have been burnt, but the back-up set we put in fried for sure.

@SocalAndy & @Darren C determined that we were getting 12V with the key on, but less than a Volt when cranking. Ignition switch was the problem although it had been previously tested and swapped.

The mechanical part of the ignition lock cylinder is sticking as well so the bits in there are messed up. The entire thing needs to go.
+Quote Post
Ed_Turbo
post Jul 15 2019, 02:56 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 21,151

Nice to see old and new car buddies. We started it right up when I got there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

@914_7t3 , whatever parts you thought werent working before the old ignition try them with the new ignition. They are most likely good.

Oscar said he will sell you the new ignition for $500 (it is NOS, BNIB, NLA). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Bring all the parts you need so we can catchup (behind schedule!)

-The real Eddie
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jul 15 2019, 06:30 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Jeffrey, no issue with the starter. The ignition switch is. At first, the ignition key was already hard to turn. It was suggested to remove the ignition since we are loosing volt when cranking the engine and no sparks on spark plug wire. Sir Oscar said he has spare ignition switch with key.
And after plugging Oscar’s ignition, the engine started easily.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jul 15 2019, 06:55 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jul 15 2019, 05:30 PM) *

Jeffrey, no issue with the starter. The ignition switch is. At first, the ignition key was already hard to turn. It was suggested to remove the ignition since we are loosing volt when cranking the engine and no sparks on spark plug wire. Sir Oscar said he has spare ignition switch with key.
And after plugging Oscar’s ignition, the engine started easily.

My bad, its not the starter, but the ignition switch and possibly the ignition lock cylinder. My previous post has been edited accordingly.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jul 15 2019, 06:58 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Jul 15 2019, 01:56 PM) *

Nice to see old and new car buddies. We started it right up when I got there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

@914_7t3 , whatever parts you thought werent working before the old ignition try them with the new ignition. They are most likely good.

Oscar said he will sell you the new ignition for $500 (it is NOS, BNIB, NLA). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Bring all the parts you need so we can catchup (behind schedule!)

-The real Eddie

Already have an OEM German switch on the way. Just need to get a cylinder in good shape that I can re-key. Will spend some time this week getting everything organized for Saturday.
+Quote Post
914SIXXation
post Jul 16 2019, 09:12 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 22,979

QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 13 2019, 09:03 PM) *

I just want to say a MASSIVE thank you to Oscar for his hospitality & a big thanks to everyone I met today at Crystal Cove & Oscars place for making me feel welcome.
You’re a great bunch of guys!
Felt right at home helping trouble shoot & get the motor running (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Must have been my lucky 914World T shirt, that I packed especially
A Day to remember !
Thank you again

Kind regards
Darren

Hi Darren,

It was so great meeting you at Oscar's this past weekend. We were glad we could break away to come up from San Diego to get a chance to meet you and see other 914eers. Being new participants in 914World this year, we had a fantastic time at West Coast Ramble and we feel we have met a new family of Porsche enthusiasts specializing in 914s. It didn't surprise us that there was a good size group of 914ers there at Oscar's to welcome you and help Jeffrey with his project on his beautiful car.

Next time you come, we will make sure we drive up our 914-6.

It's amazing how small the world is when we were discussing some of the people we worked with in the 80's when we competed at some tracks there and that you knew them as well. So many great memories. We love your country and the great people we have gotten to know and look forward to getting back again soon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Paul and I especially enjoyed sharing some of our England experience stories with you.
Sounds like you live very close to my past room mate.

I am so glad you had your "Build Off Challenge" shirt on and told us what all of it meant. Big congratulations for winning that Challenge! The photos/media you have shared are
amazing. I am so impressed with what you and so many other enthusiasts have done to restore as well as customize these awesome 914s.... what amazing patience and dedication!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

And thank you Jeffrey for the yummy pizza/lunch and of course, Oscar for welcoming us to your AMAZING MAN CAVE GARAGE! Wow, were we impressed! So great spending time with all of you!

We hope you are enjoying your time in Southern California and know that you have some more new enthusiasts that appreciate your friendship here. I hope we get a chance to meet up with you again either here or in England. Would love to time our visit to come to a 914 event in England. Let's keep in touch!

Would love to get over to an event at Goodwood!

Will there be an event in England to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of 914?

I am also attaching some photos for everyone's viewing.

Have a safe journey home.

Cheers! Hip Hip.....
Margie and Paul
"Yankee Shiela"
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

P.S. Jeffrey, We are looking forward to watching the progress on your 914!
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
23e Heure
post Jul 16 2019, 12:55 PM
Post #51

Busy overtaking 911s

Member No.: 19,057
Region Association: England

Great thread updates, looks like a great day!

Well done Darren for “keeping the British end up” (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)
Look forward to hearing more about it when you get back to Blighty.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jul 16 2019, 05:24 PM
Post #52

QUOTE(23e Heure @ Jul 16 2019, 11:55 AM) *

Great thread updates, looks like a great day!

Well done Darren for “keeping the British end up” (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)
Look forward to hearing more about it when you get back to Blighty.

@23e Heure Can we correctly use the term "proper chap" to describe @Darren C ?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Jul 17 2019, 09:25 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 18,255

Thanks Margie, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you & Paul too.
What an amazing time you’ve had in racing! I am truly in awe of your achievements & could listen all day to your stories.
As for the 914world build-off Shirt, is one of my favourites & although I didn’t win, it was the taking part alongside all the other great 914 enthusiasts that counted. I couldn’t not have brought it on the trip.
Yes there’s a big 50 years gathering this weekend in UK & I hope to attend on route back from the airport.
Keep an eye out in the fall, as a few of you may have guessed I’m here to lend a hand on a new TV show. It’s going to be an epic build & Challenge. Can’t say any more but will let you know when it’s closer.
Had a great day at Oscars, thanks again to everyone for making me feel welcome. You have some GREAT cars!

Noel, you were really up for learning stuff, so I found this old video I made a while back as part of a whole series of shorts to encourage teach kids how stuff works & encourage them into engineering.
Here in UK we’ve started a scheme & program to teach traditional engineering skills before they are lost forever. Check out “The Association of Heritage Engineers” I’m member 001 & it’s gone massive now with government & college patrons
In the meantime here’s an appropriate short tutorial for last Saturday

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BXkp9olrFWM
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Jul 17 2019, 09:58 AM
Post #54

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

Darren-

Thanks for getting your hands dirty on resolving Jeffrey’s start issue. You fit right in.
What a team effort! And Yes, I could listen to Margie and Paul all afternoon. They are a great couple.
Give them props for the 5 hours of traffic they had to endure that day. I guess that’s peanuts compared to driving “24 hours of Le Mans”…go Margie!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Oscar

+Quote Post
914SIXXation
post Jul 18 2019, 11:28 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 22,979

QUOTE(Darren C @ Jul 17 2019, 10:25 AM) *

Thanks Margie, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you & Paul too.
What an amazing time you’ve had in racing! I am truly in awe of your achievements & could listen all day to your stories.
As for the 914world build-off Shirt, is one of my favourites & although I didn’t win, it was the taking part alongside all the other great 914 enthusiasts that counted. I couldn’t not have brought it on the trip.
Yes there’s a big 50 years gathering this weekend in UK & I hope to attend on route back from the airport.
Keep an eye out in the fall, as a few of you may have guessed I’m here to lend a hand on a new TV show. It’s going to be an epic build & Challenge. Can’t say any more but will let you know when it’s closer.
Had a great day at Oscars, thanks again to everyone for making me feel welcome. You have some GREAT cars!

Noel, you were really up for learning stuff, so I found this old video I made a while back as part of a whole series of shorts to encourage teach kids how stuff works & encourage them into engineering.
Here in UK we’ve started a scheme & program to teach traditional engineering skills before they are lost forever. Check out “The Association of Heritage Engineers” I’m member 001 & it’s gone massive now with government & college patrons
In the meantime here’s an appropriate short tutorial for last Saturday

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BXkp9olrFWM

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the information. Very impressed that you have done projects to teach the kids the traditional engineering skills. I did watch your youtube video which was very informative and well done! I hope that your new TV show is a big success and you really enjoy doing it.

Hope you have a great trip back and SUPER time at the English 50th for the 914. Please extend our greetings from the USA!
I'll PM you and hopefully we can keep in touch!

Cheers,
Margie
(Yankee Sheila) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

P.S. As I mentioned to you....we have lots of great memories from England and greatly appreciate the opportunity we had to compete in the WEC. We started in 1983 at Brands Hatch with the British Charles Ivey Racing Team co-driving with Paul Smith and David Ovey.....Found this photo in my archives I thought you might enjoy seeing....Vroom Vroom.....Attached Image
+Quote Post
Darren C
post Jul 24 2019, 07:09 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 18,255

Well, after a flight back to UK I managed to attend the UK 50 year anniversary of the 914 at Brooklands (Worlds first ever race track) and it was a fantastic display

It was a crazy day for me, as in the Morning I had breakfast at Laguna Beach CA, flew out of LAX at 5:45pm and due to time zone I'd been awake 31 hours in a single day when I landed in UK & drove to Brooklands, but that wasn't going to stop me attending this amazing 914 event

50 cars to celebrate 50 years!

A little rain in the morning cleared up to bright sunshine in the afternoon.

Selection of pictures on dropbox here :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mh60vbvch4o897z/...00206-214822067
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:45 AM