Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Found a near complete L-jet system in my cleanup !, may fit to my only FI shortblock,questions ?
porschetub
post Jul 5 2019, 12:19 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Whats the going rate for a usable 1.8 AFM (0 280 200 012) as the one I have is toast ?,not worried about cleaning and servicing.
I have an good early 1.7 shortblock and have heads and 96mm B&P set to fit but will need to purchase injectors also,in real terms the case is worth very little with the cam it has and think this may be a good move for my situation,I don't know if the D-jet cam plays well with L-jet cam?,believe they do.
I have sold most of my D-jet stuff now and also prefer the less complicated system with L-jet and besides I have bugger all knowledge of D-jet besides.
TIA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 13)
jcd914
post Jul 5 2019, 12:27 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

All the 914 4cyl engines used essentially the same camshafts.
The part numbers listed in PET are only different for the cam gear variances.

The 1.8 injectors are big enough for a 1.7 with 96mm pistons.

So you should be good to go with the 1.8 L-jet injection.

Jim
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 6 2019, 10:46 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 6 2019, 06:27 AM) *

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim,been looking @ what I have and besides bad afm and missing injectors its worth me doing it,loom is in good condition and good ballast resistors but untidy hacked wiring @ double relay on one side
Have found F.I. heads I have (021.101.371Q ) are in great condition but will get them cut for 96mm barrels and a bump in compression,found a stack of new valves in my collection so will bump them to 40mm inlets and 34mm exhausts,a bit of correct porting on the exhaust side should yield a bit more flow,according to Mr Hoffman,cheers.
Found a great download in the form of a 912E injection manual,all I need @ this stage with other research.
My case is "W" prefix so makes it a 1971 1.7 ,appears these are a good case,found a set of new injectors but still need AFM....anyone got one ? postage to Oregon.
TIA.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 7 2019, 11:56 AM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

If your in Oregon, Try Craig at Camp 914 I know he has a pretty good stash of parts. I can check as I may have some 1.8 stuff. I do have a 912E with a running fuel injection system and it's great. Really the way these cars would have went if they continued production.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 7 2019, 02:52 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 8 2019, 05:56 AM) *

If your in Oregon, Try Craig at Camp 914 I know he has a pretty good stash of parts. I can check as I may have some 1.8 stuff. I do have a 912E with a running fuel injection system and it's great. Really the way these cars would have went if they continued production.

Thanks Mark,sent you a contact,cheers.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 7 2019, 04:59 PM
Post #6

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 7 2019, 12:56 PM) *

Really the way these cars would have went if they continued production.

The L-Jet system evolved into the DME used on the 944 and 3.2 911 Carrera. It was also used on Volvo, VW, BMW, Mercedes, and was cloned by Nippondenso for use on the Toyota, Nissan and Subaru cars during the 80s.

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 8 2019, 10:20 AM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 6 2019, 09:46 PM) *

Jim

Thanks for the info Jim,been looking @ what I have and besides bad afm and missing injectors its worth me doing it,loom is in good condition and good ballast resistors but untidy hacked wiring @ double relay on one side
Have found F.I. heads I have (021.101.371Q ) are in great condition but will get them cut for 96mm barrels and a bump in compression,found a stack of new valves in my collection so will bump them to 40mm inlets and 34mm exhausts,a bit of correct porting on the exhaust side should yield a bit more flow,according to Mr Hoffman,cheers.
Found a great download in the form of a 912E injection manual,all I need @ this stage with other research.
My case is "W" prefix so makes it a 1971 1.7 ,appears these are a good case,found a set of new injectors but still need AFM....anyone got one ? postage to Oregon.
TIA.

I may have found one in my stash. I just need to make sure it's not a 944 one.

Mark
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 8 2019, 02:07 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 9 2019, 04:20 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 6 2019, 09:46 PM) *

Jim

TIA.

I may have found one in my stash. I just need to make sure it's not a 944 one.

Mark

Wow thanks for looking,the 914 one (0 280 200 012) is a 7 pin connector type and very much smaller than the BMW,VW and 944 ones I have,funny how small they are compared to say the mk2 Golf 1.8.
Edit..just checked my spare 944 one and it only has a 4 pin connection if that helps.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) .
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 10 2019, 03:46 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Dragged the case out and checked it out ,all good ,cam and lifters good...that was my main concern as don't want to split the case,test assembled the engine with old parts today, injection system on and went though the "where is this part fit" deal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
Enjoyed test fitting it together and know it will be a good engine,but need to confess it will be a bus engine just for resale and think someone will get good use from it.
Will report further cheers.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 14 2019, 09:31 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Cleaned up the case and doing a refit of the rods with new standard KS big end bearings,these are the same part number (standard size) shells that I removed,my question is how tight should they be on the crank journals,side clearance appears ok but they seem a little loose,please fire some idea's my way as I don't remember way back when I did my last T4.
Deck clearance checked @ just over 1mm so happy enough with that,I still need to check further as my pistons are high compression and I can't find my chamber measuring gear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) .
TIA.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 18 2019, 02:16 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Think I have my connecting rods sorted,usual PO issues ,dizzy drive 180 degrees out,and found the rear main seal glued in with sealer as per the front seal,RMS was proud of case and running hard on the flywheel most of the face worn off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) ,well atleast the flywheel is good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) .
Flywheel bolts done @ several different torques and used chewed up washer ,end float checked ok before removal however.
Need another torque wrench as none of mine will not do the lower settings required ...too large or too small ,just my luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
Going pretty well so far,will post some pics soon.

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 19 2019, 10:39 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Case cleaning has taken way longer than I thought between other work but it is clean now,JB welded the oil gallery plugs ,most likely not needed but wanted to be sure ,due to poorly fitted RMS seal there was a small leak , have been checking end float,came out @ .0032 so happy with that.
Case has been split before but some fine individual has been very excessive with gasket shellac and caused BS to get rid of it @ front and rear crank seals recess's.
Not 100% happy with piston pin fit so will get the rods rebushed,hooked up with a local engine shop and have found new bushes in my country.
Heads are a bit of a guess really,fully rebuilt but part number 022 102 372G comes out @ 2.0 bus ,understand they are low compression but fit my 1800 barrels so something is odd.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 21 2019, 03:00 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Rechecked deck height again and came up with 0.028 instead of my original half arse attempt ,won't order shims until heads are measured for volume.
Attached Image
I have mothballed the L-jet motor as this (carb) motor is more complete and I have a guy that wants to buy it for a repop 550 Spyder.
Heads still remain a mistery as the number keeps coming back as 2.0 bus ?,these were flycut to 105mm (93mm) barrels,intake ,exhaust valves are larger than these heads were supplied with also.
Partially stripped one head to find the reconditioning on these to be a very high standard,guess it matters little what they are off as the condition is exceptional.
More to follow,cheers.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 21 2019, 11:42 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Placed base shims under the barrels and came up slightly over 1mm deck clearance with high comp pistons that gives me around 8.1.1 allowing for piston dome, jeez I have checked that many times (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) .
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:07 AM