Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914rubber door handles, Any experience with them?
horizontally-opposed
post Jul 6 2019, 02:06 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Did a search and didn't see anything, but perhaps I didn't do the search right.

Specifically interested in fitment and how close they are to factory NOS...as well as any design improvements? Mine work okay, but the chrome is tired and the thought of rechroming fatigued metal is unappealing. NOS means a search, while I wonder about the quality of later factory parts given what we've seen. The 914rubber pieces could be a nice alternative, but I'd love some pics and feedback from those who bought them.

Thanks in advance!

pete
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 6 2019, 02:18 PM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Pete,
Matt Whitesell has just about everything they sell on his car. Plus he drives the snot out of it so if there are failure issues, he’d experience them like a customer. If he or Mark don’t respond, PM me and I’ll give you their phone numbers. Rechroming works great but make sure the understand not to rechrome the articulating surfaces or the parts will be junk.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Jul 6 2019, 03:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,454
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hi Pete,
That is a part we stock, not one that we make. They are a good reproduction part that is way less hassle than trying to re chome original parts. We have sold quite a few and I am not aware of anyone having any issues with them.
Cheers,
Matt
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 6 2019, 06:47 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Just my 2 cents. Reproductions are not good quality. Chrome is POOR and the lock barrels are not correct requiring modifications.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jul 6 2019, 07:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Hi Pete. Just a thought. Maybe rechrome a few old sets to get the economy and extra sets if you break. 3 lefts and a 2 rights? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jul 7 2019, 01:03 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 6 2019, 04:47 PM) *

Just my 2 cents. Reproductions are not good quality. Chrome is POOR and the lock barrels are not correct requiring modifications.

Had issues with the lock barrel on one i picked up from Sierra Madre as well (guessing they are the same supplier). Noticeable difference in quality from OEM.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 7 2019, 07:58 AM
Post #7

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

@horizontally-opposed

Specifically interested in fitment and how close they are to factory NOS...as well as any design improvements? Mine work okay, but the chrome is tired and the thought of rechroming fatigued metal is unappealing. NOS means a search, while I wonder about the quality of later factory parts given what we've seen. The 914rubber pieces could be a nice alternative, but I'd love some pics and feedback from those who bought them.

Thanks in advance!

pete

Pete,
I sold one set of the aftermarket outside door handles while I was with Pelican and the customer had to modify them to fit. The section for the lock cylinder was too long.
As @914sixer pointed out the aftermarket ones do not have a good rap. But some of the new genuine Porsche parts are not so great either.
Replating them is tricky. A local shop wanted $100 per handle with no guaranteed as they were pot metal.
I would be more inclined to find a good speciality chrome plater for restoring vintage parts. Hemmings has a lot of listings.
Bruce
Bruce
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 7 2019, 08:27 AM
Post #8

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Ogden Chrome charged me about $100 and shipping was free. Again, be sure to emphasize, nothing chromed below the face of the handle. Those dimensions mustn’t change...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 7 2019, 11:26 AM
Post #9

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Well,

If the consensus is that they are crap perhaps we need to make them?
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Jul 7 2019, 01:11 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 7 2019, 10:26 AM) *

Well,

If the consensus is that they are crap perhaps we need to make them?

First and foremost: Thanks for all of the parts you make for these cars.

I was on your site and looking through things and you have added so much to the ability of enthusiasts to own and actually use the 914 some 50 years after it appeared. There are a lot of parts. One thing that would be nice to know is when a part is something you've made, as I know you're just as skeptical of some of the reproductions out there as many of us are.

There are some "hard parts" for the 914 that are NLA but high use/wear, which makes redoing original parts less attractive. Front bumpers are one, door handles are another. Both seem like fairly complex pieces. I'll look into Ogden chrome, but I doubt I am alone in a willingness to buy a pair of really good NEW repros to put in a box for later since the originals are just pot metal.

In the meantime, thanks again for what you do for this community. So good to see you making a good go of it!
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 7 2019, 01:50 PM
Post #11

The rubber man

Yeah as more Chinese stuff enters the market it's a matter of educating the differences. I'm actually unsure of the origin of the handles but I know brand U dosen't list them so I sell them. I don't mind helping other parts providers is the quality is "acceptable" but there are some I will not sell.

Yes a fairly complicated part, but could be worth another look. I did have a few ideas on how they could even be improved without being cosmetically different that OEM.

Mark
+Quote Post
wes
post Jul 7 2019, 01:54 PM
Post #12

wes

Member No.: 8,436

Wasn’t there someone looking into doing these in stainless steel sometime back?
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 8 2019, 10:18 AM
Post #13

The rubber man

I was the one, until these came out. We can do stainless, but it's with the new ones so inexpensive it didn't seem like a path that would pan out in either. I do think we could do these in stainless but not sure if they pencil out.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 8 2019, 11:27 AM
Post #14

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

10 years ago, I looked at doing these in brass in lost wax process in China. That would have taken care of the problem of these breaking. Price point was too high for most of the people here.

Bob B

+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 8 2019, 04:33 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I would love to see a quality part .. Stainless is an interesting idea..
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 8 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #16

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 7 2019, 12:50 PM) *

Yeah as more Chinese stuff enters the market it's a matter of educating the differences. I'm actually unsure of the origin of the handles but I know brand U dosen't list them so I sell them. I don't mind helping other parts providers is the quality is "acceptable" but there are some I will not sell.

Yes a fairly complicated part, but could be worth another look. I did have a few ideas on how they could even be improved without being cosmetically different that OEM.

Mark

IMHO, This is one of those "must have" items. I regularly see nice used handles going for $200. If someone was offering a pair of quality replacement handles in the $700-800 range they'd sell. Maybe more?
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 8 2019, 05:52 PM
Post #17

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 8 2019, 10:27 AM) *

10 years ago, I looked at doing these in brass in lost wax process in China. That would have taken care of the problem of these breaking. Price point was too high for most of the people here.

Bob B

Hey Bob. You talked to me back then about giving you some on the good ones I have.

Remember people the bodies can be repaired. I've repaired a few dozen over the years. But if you break the flapper handle section you're screwed.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 8 2019, 07:30 PM
Post #18

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 8 2019, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 8 2019, 10:27 AM) *

Bob B

Hey Bob. You talked to me back then about giving you some on the good ones I have.

Remember people the bodies can be repaired. I've repaired a few dozen over the years. But if you break the flapper handle section you're screwed.

I remember,

The business of making 914 parts is a fine line between art, and hobby versus a, well, a profitable true business. The majority of people want the lowest cost part.

In the past 914 guys have been very cheap.

Bob B
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jul 8 2019, 07:37 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(URY914 @ Jul 8 2019, 03:52 PM) *

I have a pile of broken ones, most of which its the flapper portion that is broken. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 8 2019, 08:15 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I personally believe the new threshold currently is 200-300 each but that is still allot.. Can the current repos just be modified and rechromed economically?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:45 PM