Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Early Seat Belt Resto
db9146
post Jul 14 2019, 06:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,315
Region Association: None

I want to restore a spare set of early (1970) seat belts to improve their appearance and also to make them easier to adjust since they are not retractable. It seems that there are different finishes on the belt mounting ends and the belt latches that are a more natural metal appearance as opposed to the chrome on the adjusters and the belt latching tabs.

Attached Image

I have taken one latch apart and cleaned it up via bead-blasting, a vibratory cleaner/polisher, and some elbow grease with metal polish and a brass bristle brush (you can see how it started off). The finish of the latches (once the covers are removed) and the anchoring ends appears to be some sort of a flat metal finish. Does anyone know what finish it is? Or how to achieve it?

Attached Image

I think the chrome will clean up well enough once the belts are removed and the chrome can be cleaned/polished a little.

Has anyone sent out an early set of belts to a restorer and been happy with the results? Who did you use? What was the cost? Any pics?

What about the dated fabric tags stitched to the belts? Anyone have a source on these?

Comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 10:29 AM