Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gotta love the internet, Facebook group rant
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 15 2019, 09:29 PM
Post #1

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

The first time we had a Renegade Festival in Hot Springs (2nd mid west event), I lucked up and got a tech rep from BG Petroleum Products to give us a tech session. BG (was Wynn's Spitfire) makes fuel and oil additives. Their fuel additive is very effective for helping remove excess carbon build up. This is especially a problem in Japanese cars, or at least it was 20 years ago. He had quite a bit of technical data and, was there for a Toyota, or Honda tech summit of sorts. I saw him getting stuff out of the truck with a big BG on the side and started asking questions, and he graciously agreed to give us a tech session.

The guy did a cool "Mr. Science" kind of demonstration showing the difference between regular and premium gasoline. The demo showed that regular gas burns faster and cleaner than premium. He put a small eye dropper of each fuel on their own white Corell saucer. The regular burned without a lot of smoke and left a little residue. The premium burned slower, made noticeably more waxy like smoke, and left much more residue on the plate. Part of the point is to demonstrate that gasoline octane is the opposite of what most people think, "high test" or "the good stuff" is less volatile and has more additives. High octane fuel is the same fuel as regular, but with an additive package to lower the volatility, raising the octane for higher compression engines. He went on to say that you should use whatever your auto manufacturer recommends, and if no solid recommendation the general rule of thumb is to use the lowest octane you can, without getting pinging, or pre-ignition. Using high octane fuel in an engine that doesn't require it, can result in more unburned fuel, that can cause carbon build up in the combustion chamber, raising compression, and thereby requiring you to use a higher octane fuel that adds to the problem. Make sense? Are you tracking with me?

Most all of the guys there had questions, as well as their minds changed about the best fuel to use, in any car.

Someone posted on one of the 914 FB groups asking "what octane fuel should I use". My reply was based on my own experience, but mostly on the info from the BG rep: "Unless the mfr or engine builder says otherwise, you should run the lowest octane you can as long as you don't get pinging, or run on. Octane additives typically translate into carbon build up in the combustion chambers." Good grief, you'd have thought I said there's no Santa Claus, or our 914 is just a VW.

I've been around these cars for a while, and cringe whenever I get called an "expert" or "guru". Part of the great thing about our internet 914 community is we get to share insight and experiences both helpful and otherwise. Most everyone of us that's been elbows deep in a project has something good to share, even if it's "man I really messed up" But some people have to tell you how wrong you are, even if you aren't far off the mark, I don't get it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Jul 15 2019, 10:36 PM
Post #2

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

Yep I seen that posting. How dare you call 914s a VW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) I agree with you on the fuel.
My autocross 914 demands higher octane, but I always used 87 /89 in my daily drivers with no issues.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 15 2019, 11:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

So, should I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) try half a tank of regular?
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Jul 15 2019, 11:11 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Great info! My cheap ass always runs the lowest octane that won't ping. Who would have known?
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 16 2019, 04:19 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

There is no Santa Claus?

1) Facts don't often change peoples opinions. Lots of psychological studies on this. Sad but true.
2) We live in an age where even "experts" with the facts, can be shouted down by the majority (or social media mob).
3) Marketing from petroleum companies has convinced many that "premium" is better. How could it not be . . . it's Premium.

Brondo . . it's what plants crave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAqIJZeeXEc

You did what you can do. Wind em' up and then let it go.

+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 16 2019, 05:52 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I know just enough to be stupid.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 16 2019, 08:01 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 16 2019, 04:19 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

There is no Santa Claus?

1) Facts don't often change peoples opinions. Lots of psychological studies on this. Sad but true.
2) We live in an age where even "experts" with the facts, can be shouted down by the majority (or social media mob).
3) Marketing from petroleum companies has convinced many that "premium" is better. How could it not be . . . it's Premium.

Brondo . . it's what plants crave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAqIJZeeXEc

You did what you can do. Wind em' up and then let it go.

Well put. Hard to believe the octane thing is still debated today, but we are indeed living in an idiocracy. I think I first read about what octane really does in the OLD VW-Porsche mag back in the early 80s. I've always run the lowest octane my car is designed for. I was bummed a few years ago when our Regular gasoline in this region suddenly jumped from the 85 octane appropriate for our high altitude up to 87 - the same as "low lander" fuel.

The petroleum industry would have us believe that high octane is like rocket fuel. Maybe those who buy the hype should try running a tank of actual rocket fuel through their engine and see how it works (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 16 2019, 08:14 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

excellent post, and in my opinion also dead on. I have always said to use the less expensive regular fuel in the 914-4 and the highest octane in the 914-6 for all of the below reasons. I can add one more thing that Classic Motorsports wrote about the other day: When storing a car, fill the tank with the highest octane you can find and add gas stabilizer. The high octane gas has a much longer "shelf life" than the low octane "stuff", and by additionally adding the gas stabilizer, the fuel could actually last a few years without turning

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 15 2019, 08:29 PM) *

The first time we had a Renegade Festival in Hot Springs (2nd mid west event), I lucked up and got a tech rep from BG Petroleum Products to give us a tech session. BG (was Wynn's Spitfire) makes fuel and oil additives. Their fuel additive is very effective for helping remove excess carbon build up. This is especially a problem in Japanese cars, or at least it was 20 years ago. He had quite a bit of technical data and, was there for a Toyota, or Honda tech summit of sorts. I saw him getting stuff out of the truck with a big BG on the side and started asking questions, and he graciously agreed to give us a tech session.

The guy did a cool "Mr. Science" kind of demonstration showing the difference between regular and premium gasoline. The demo showed that regular gas burns faster and cleaner than premium. He put a small eye dropper of each fuel on their own white Corell saucer. The regular burned without a lot of smoke and left a little residue. The premium burned slower, made noticeably more waxy like smoke, and left much more residue on the plate. Part of the point is to demonstrate that gasoline octane is the opposite of what most people think, "high test" or "the good stuff" is less volatile and has more additives. High octane fuel is the same fuel as regular, but with an additive package to lower the volatility, raising the octane for higher compression engines. He went on to say that you should use whatever your auto manufacturer recommends, and if no solid recommendation the general rule of thumb is to use the lowest octane you can, without getting pinging, or pre-ignition. Using high octane fuel in an engine that doesn't require it, can result in more unburned fuel, that can cause carbon build up in the combustion chamber, raising compression, and thereby requiring you to use a higher octane fuel that adds to the problem. Make sense? Are you tracking with me?

Most all of the guys there had questions, as well as their minds changed about the best fuel to use, in any car.

Someone posted on one of the 914 FB groups asking "what octane fuel should I use". My reply was based on my own experience, but mostly on the info from the BG rep: "Unless the mfr or engine builder says otherwise, you should run the lowest octane you can as long as you don't get pinging, or run on. Octane additives typically translate into carbon build up in the combustion chambers." Good grief, you'd have thought I said there's no Santa Claus, or our 914 is just a VW.

I've been around these cars for a while, and cringe whenever I get called an "expert" or "guru". Part of the great thing about our internet 914 community is we get to share insight and experiences both helpful and otherwise. Most everyone of us that's been elbows deep in a project has something good to share, even if it's "man I really messed up" But some people have to tell you how wrong you are, even if you aren't far off the mark, I don't get it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jul 16 2019, 08:43 AM
Post #9

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 16 2019, 09:01 AM) *

Well put. Hard to believe the octane thing is still debated today, but we are indeed living in an idiocracy. I think I first read about what octane really does in the OLD VW-Porsche mag back in the early 80s. I've always run the lowest octane my car is designed for. I was bummed a few years ago when our Regular gasoline in this region suddenly jumped from the 85 octane appropriate for our high altitude up to 87 - the same as "low lander" fuel.

The petroleum industry would have us believe that high octane is like rocket fuel. Maybe those who buy the hype should try running a tank of actual rocket fuel through their engine and see how it works (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Its funny how people are about gasoline. Especially the misunderstanding that higher octane fuels are less thermally reactive (higher activation energies) which does not bode well for full burning.

I'm finishing my PhD; having spent the last 5 years studying combustion full-time and the prior decade part time. Much of the time looking at fuel effects, though usually for jet engines. People ask me all of the time when they find out what I do and then still argue with me about it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Interestingly, any liquid rocket fuels which use an oxygen oxidizer would probably work in a T4. That's really only kerosene and liquid hydrogen, but still... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jul 16 2019, 09:12 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,287

I use the 89 octane in the teener with somewhere around 8.6 - 1 comp. No pinging with that.

The Cayman gets premiums as dictated buy Porsche.

I also had heard that the lower octane fuel burns faster.

Now days the cars computers will detect pinging and reduce the timing and maybe other factors to prevent damage to the engine.

+Quote Post
UROpartsman
post Jul 16 2019, 09:43 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 19,288

With an older car that only pings when it's hot out, run the lowest octane Fall through Spring, and only buy the "premium" stuff mid-Summer.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 16 2019, 10:51 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 16 2019, 10:43 AM) *

I'm finishing my PhD; having spent the last 5 years studying combustion full-time and the prior decade part time.

Ha! You’re a better man than I. I took a undergrad course on combustion. 1st day was cool. The professor was talking about fires, explosions, and engine combustion. The second day he started writing chemical formulas that ran the width of the calk board. 3rd day I dropped that class and added a vehicle dynamics class! Much better for me!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 16 2019, 11:32 AM
Post #13

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

The whole point of higher octane is to make it harder to ignite.

I thought that was obvious?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

PS: The "burning slower" only applies if ignited under the same pressure when comparing to lower octane gasoline though. Or no pressure in case of the demonstration by the BG guy.

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 16 2019, 11:53 AM
Post #14

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Well, atmospheric pressure at somewhere near sea level. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

What's interesting is that the combustion speed is not dictated by the octane spec, so it is possible that premium could burn faster than regular. Vanishingly unlikely, and probably would require some PhD chemist specifically trying to make that happen, but it is possible.

Anecdote time: Once upon a time, they built aircraft engines specifically to use ~80 octane AvGas. Many years later, this became hard to find. Some folks just decided to stick 110 low-lead in their plane and call it done, because new engines cost a ton of money (and re-certifying your engine for car gasoline, which can be found with a reasonably acceptable level of octane, also costs a lot).

All of a sudden, there were a whole lot of burned exhaust valves showing up in those engines. Turns out the high-test stuff was still burning as it went out past the valve, heating up the exhaust valve and related bits (seats, guides) a lot more.

So those folks got to buy themselves new engines anyway... Oops.

I strongly suggest that nobody put 150-octane fuel in their stock 914... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 16 2019, 03:02 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

And to add to the mess... the only ethanol-free gas available around here is premium grade (91 Octane), so it seems we are forced to choose something that is not the best fuel for our cars.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Jul 16 2019, 05:57 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 22,446

Combustion chamber design, spark plugs location, intake runner design, spark timing, spark length, etc.

All of these things come into play with combustion, detonation, and all the wonderful things that happen in our motors.

Saying "you should always run the lowest octane possible" is just a dumb statement without knowing the specifics of an engine or tuning done to it even on a basic production vehicle.

Modern cars are always advancing ignition till knock occurs and then making corrections to achieve optimum performance. This is a constant process and the ECU is always learning.

In an older static timing setup like a 914, your timing can only be advanced as far as the fuel will support. Hence why putting in 100 octane in a car tuned for 91 will usually net you no gain and may actually cost you power.

Then there's additive packages and oxygenation of fuel and what they do to burn rates and deposit buildup.

There's far too many variables to make blanket statements like he did

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 16 2019, 07:04 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jul 16 2019, 05:57 PM) *

Saying "you should always run the lowest octane possible" is just a dumb statement without knowing the specifics of an engine or tuning done to it even on a basic production vehicle.

Is there an example of when running higher octane than is needed to prevent pinging for that particular engine would be advantageous? I thought the sole purpose of octane was to retard detonation for the purpose of controlling pinging. Not trying to be argumentative, just want to learn.
+Quote Post
tmc914
post Jul 16 2019, 07:16 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 21,452

Well, I remember back in the the early 70's when I was just a kid and my parents always complaining about the gas. They would shut the car off and it kept running. For years I thought it was an octane problem. Learned later it had less to do with gas and more to do with carburetors and heat. This thread brought back old memories. Sorry if I went off topic.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jul 16 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #19

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 16 2019, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jul 16 2019, 05:57 PM) *

Is there an example of when running higher octane than is needed to prevent pinging for that particular engine would be advantageous? I thought the sole purpose of octane was to retard detonation for the purpose of controlling pinging. Not trying to be argumentative, just want to learn.

That's not quite the right way to think about. Modern engine controls can operate up to the bleeding edge of what the supplied fuel can provide to maximize performance, efficiency, etc. It really depends where you are in the map (ie: low load, low torque demand, high engine speed you may be shooting for max efficiency vs. high load/torque demand where you want power). They maximize performance based on the fuel characteristics (and air, engine temperature, etc. characteristics for that matter)

When I say operate at the bleeding edge this means that they manipulate spark timing up until the point detonation occurs and then back off. That means that you could put 87 into your STi instead of 93, but it will retard timing to prevent knocking. Just pulling timing might be a somewhat simplistic way of looking at it-the controls may be changing ignition timing, valve timing/lift to modify cylinder pressure (higher pressure lowers autoignition delay times), boost levels, etc. This could all be based on a measured knock limit, with changes happening after one knock event is detected. Or a misfire, etc.

Hopefully that answered your question in a somewhat roundabout way.

Edit: Just some food for thought: When modern engines have a single misfire, they have "missed" emissions requirements for literally the next tens of minutes to hours. Just one. That's how tight the controls are. I wish I could find the presentation that showed these figures-fascinating for people who like numbers.
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Jul 16 2019, 08:47 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 6,794

Always learn something new here. I always use what the car manufacturer recommends.
On my 2056 carb’d teener my mechanic recommends 91 octane.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 03:10 AM