Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Throwing in the towel, Carburator conversion for 74 1.8 ltr
downrange
post Jul 16 2019, 02:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,747
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I am on my last nerve trying to get my 74 1.8 ltr L Jetronic fuel injected car started. Bypassed the seatbelt interlock to get the starter to work. Hot wired the fuel pump to get it working and still no go.

I am considering a carburetor conversion and see that Redline has a few kits. The dual carbs system has no choke and the single carb with electric choke has some distance from the cylinder heads. Anyone have any success they could share?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 16 2019, 02:19 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Don't ...
+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Jul 16 2019, 02:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,948

2nd the don't
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 16 2019, 02:42 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(yellowporky @ Jul 16 2019, 04:37 PM) *

2nd the don't

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Where in PA are you?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 16 2019, 03:13 PM
Post #5

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'll play along... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

It seems the community has gone from:

1. Put carbs on - Early years when old schools couldn't figure out the FI
2. Don't put carbs on - Mid years when shade-trees dug in and became more knowledgeable than most old schools on FI systems. Parts were plentiful. They were/are correct.
3. Here and now...

Here & Now, harnesses are brittle, good parts are getting harder to find and, a good FI system requires a knowledgeable tech trained in the art of 50 year old FI systems. My take is, if your system is stock and you have all of the components, it may be worth a shot at saving it. That said, you can easily spend thou$and$ with MPS rebuild, TPS Rebuilds, leaks and bad wiring (a $500.00 harness from Jeff B. would be an EXTREMELY wise investment).

I guess my point is, I feel carbs can be a viable alternative as we are beginning to run out of stock FI resources. Good parts are just getting harder and harder to find and, it's an old system. ***They (carbs) will make less power when run on FI cams*** As you move forward plan on a motor rebuild with a substantial cam to take advantage of all that carbs can offer.

If you're considering an engine rebuild, I would go 2258 with the new stroker cranks out there and run either carbs or EFI the likes of The Dub Shop's Type 4 MicroSquirt system. An EFI system on a motor like that will change your world.

So...

*Try to keep it alive if you can.
*Don't feel bad if you have to go carbs but, look to the future and make sure you have your eye on the proper cam for the motor eventually so you can take advantage of them.
*Did I say look to the future? Modern EFI systems can be almost plug and play these days and they will reward you in technological leaps and bounds. It's amazing.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
lalee914
post Jul 16 2019, 03:19 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,521
Region Association: North East States

You can find the factory workshop manual for the 914/4 fuel injection system and some manuals from Bosch for both the D and K jetronic FI systems here:

http://p914-6info.net/Manuals.htm

Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 16 2019, 03:37 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Keep it,I was able to download and print off a complete L-jet FI tech manual which is for a 912E but its essentially the same and very helpful reading.
IMO it important to know how it all works piece by piece and how all the parts should work together,this manual covers it all.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 16 2019, 03:40 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

don't do it! Call me personally for tech advice and we can work through it!!

QUOTE(downrange @ Jul 16 2019, 01:16 PM) *

I am on my last nerve trying to get my 74 1.8 ltr L Jetronic fuel injected car started. Bypassed the seatbelt interlock to get the starter to work. Hot wired the fuel pump to get it working and still no go.

I am considering a carburetor conversion and see that Redline has a few kits. The dual carbs system has no choke and the single carb with electric choke has some distance from the cylinder heads. Anyone have any success they could share?

+Quote Post
jdamiano
post Jul 16 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 21,981
Region Association: South East States

Love my Redline Weber kit and Petronix distributor. Far less points of failure and it new!! The FI systems on these cars are just old. Can’t fix old. It’s a law of physics called thermodynamics. Keep the FI in a box somewhere safe in case the next caretaker of the car wants it. No shame it wanting new fuel and ignition systems.
+Quote Post
tejon007
post Jul 16 2019, 04:31 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,344

...completely agree with Eric.

It's not what you or I would or should do in such a situation...it's what's right for the owner to decide.

So, let's see:

Option 1: study-up or find someone that can diagnose an old FI system, including potentially fixing wiring and broken parts that may not be available -- but, can definately be an expensive option? (but, it might also be an easy fix after you know what's wrong)

Option 2: bolt on some carbs/manifolds in an afternoon and drive it, even though the cam isn't the correct one

Option 3: install modern FI (maybe install a crank sensor) and tinker with it some to set it up correctly. A little more work than installing carburetion and expensive.

Other Options: ??

Definately, if you put carburetion on, keep the FI parts in case you decide someday to restore it, which would not be difficult to do once you have all the working parts and the knowledge. New or rebuilt carb can get you back up and running and would be much less than converting to modern FI. Driving your 914 is a good thing!

Lots of 914s run dual carbs and IIRC, 914-6s had carbs on them too...

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 16 2019, 05:08 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Convert it to a six, a Subaru, or even a Chevy V8 but for God's sake don't convert to carbs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I'm with Eric on this. I've been at the point you are now and ended up with carbs. That was decades ago and if it happened today, I would take advantage of all the great info now available to better diagnose my FI to fully understand what would be needed to restore it to a reliable state. Then I would feel like I could make the best choice. Although I'd prefer an OE FI in good working condition, I'd still switch to carbs if it was the quickest and most cost effective path to a running and reliable car. It's your car, your time, your wallet, and your choice.

If you decide to go with carbs, I would stay away from the single progressive carb. I've tried those both on a 914 and a bus and got nothing but misery from them. Both those cars ran much better when I switched to dual single throat (34 ICT) carbs that used to be available very cheaply back in the day.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jul 16 2019, 05:30 PM
Post #12

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jul 16 2019, 03:23 PM) *

Love my Redline Weber kit and Petronix distributor. Far less points of failure and it new!! The FI systems on these cars are just old. Can’t fix old. It’s a law of physics called thermodynamics. Keep the FI in a box somewhere safe in case the next caretaker of the car wants it. No shame it wanting new fuel and ignition systems.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) 5 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Jul 16 2019, 05:36 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

The stock FI parts are over priced and don't really offer any advantage over a properly tuned set of carbs.

The old "different cam" theory is long dead as the part number is the same for our US market FI cars and the carbed cars in the EU market. Yes you can make more power with a performance cam but that's true on FI also.

If you do carbs purchase a new set of HPMX (no cold idle circuit to deal with) from Empi, open the up and inspect and clean them. Dorking around with antique used equipment is not worth it (especially ancient Italian Webers that weren't right from the factory).

Get a syncronizer and a wideband O2, set aside a day to drive around and tune then and you'll be very happy.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 16 2019, 05:55 PM
Post #14

Resident German

Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jul 16 2019, 04:36 PM) *
The stock FI parts are over priced and don't really offer any advantage over a properly tuned set of carbs.

That's why FI died some 40 years ago and nobody uses it anymore. Carbs rule today's automotive landscape for a reason!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Jul 16 2019, 05:58 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 16 2019, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Jul 16 2019, 04:36 PM) *

That's why FI died some 40 years ago and nobody uses it anymore. Carbs rule today's automotive landscape for a reason!

The stock 914 stuff is to keep it running and reliable.

I'd be all for converting it to a current FI setup but nobody wants to spend that kind of cash when carbs are $500
+Quote Post
jdamiano
post Jul 16 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 21,981
Region Association: South East States

You misunderstand the point. I don’t see anyone trying to make an argument that carbs are better than FI. Bosch were ahead of their time with the systems they made for the 914 and FI is superior to carbs. The point is 50 year old FI will never be as reliable as a brand new set of quality carbs and a new pointless distributor.
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Jul 16 2019, 06:22 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 17,589

Get a good pair of Dellortos. Service them as needed. Make sure your intake manifolds are sealed top and bottom. You will have a great running car without FI headaches. If you use a 009 dizzy, you will not have to worry about any vacuum issues. Bob's your uncle.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 16 2019, 06:31 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

I learned long ago that just because I can’t fix something doesn’t mean someone else can’t do it. Just because the car won’t start doesn’t mean it’s time to trash the system. It could be something simple. You just may need a different set of eyes looking at the problem.
+Quote Post
SteveL
post Jul 16 2019, 06:45 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 991

Please PM me your direct email, and I will send you the Official Captain Krusty L-Jet troubleshooting guide. He sent it to me years ago.
Thank you Cap'n.
+Quote Post
struckn
post Jul 16 2019, 06:59 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 13,764

Bought my '74 1.8 9 years ago which has the single Weber progressive carb, had the cam changed for carb and it's run like this with no problems no tune ups of mechanical problems. The electric choke works great even in cold weather.
Here's a video coming home from Hershey Swap Meet climbing out of the river vally on the hill.

https://youtu.be/wMTxSHz_UKM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:16 AM